Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you say is the cut off year for using a swamp cooler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BigEd

BigEd

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

I was stationed at China Lake (Mojave Desert) in the early '60s and remember lots of swamp coolers on cars and in buildings. I believe the idea was to add moisture to the hot dry air and drop the temperature a bit.

2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Trivia 101....

Back in the southwest at the turn of the century and even into the early 20's, before any swamp coolers or air conditioning At night to cool off, folks used to sleep out on their porch. They wet bed sheets and hang them, so at night the breeze (if any) would blow across the wet sheet and help them cool off a little.

The same principal was later used with the swamp coolers. And those are still used today. Some as a stand alone cooler, and some are used as a "pre-cooler" for regular air conditioner units on a house.

The swamp cooler idea later followed to the automobile.. First was the hang on the window type that didn't require any electricity. Later the plug into the cigarette type.

There are some plug in types still used today, as in airplanes.

Beechcraft Bonanza airplanes had swamp cooler's built into their airplanes in the late 40's and early 50's. The vent was located on top of the airplane, the box containing the plates that water passed over, was located inside and towards the rear.

HellRaiser

3. Great if you can use it to keep cooler; but stow it when you get where you're going.

Otherwise, it may just look like another "parking" accessory like the cry baby dolls, stuck in trunk lid fingers, under tire rats, etc.

4. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't look any worse than this...
    Scooped from somewhere else on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

5. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

We had 1 on the family 55 Olds...Also had a canvas water bag hanging on the radio antenna. Had to be prepared to cross the desert...:D

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Round cars, Ok. Square cars, NO

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

1882.... I'd never hang one of those things off the side of my hotrod if it was made after 1882. I know they are old but you will never convince me that they are attractive on any car. Put it on the wall in the garage for bull shitting but not on an actual car. Yes I remember the purple Model A sedan that was in the magazines back in the 80s. I thought it was an ugly addition then.Show me a picture of one on an old hot rod back in the day. They were sold to tourists not hotrodders. I'm no tourist.

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I could make a square one if that would please you Aaron but then I wouldnt be traditional (inside joke) :D

9. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hee Hee,,, I do have another one of those evap 6 volt coolers that sits over the front hump........AND IT IS SQUARE:p:D

HellRaiser

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Well, what you do with your car is up to you.
    As long as you like it who cares. If there is any question in your mind maybe its a bad idea

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Exactly. I'm probably going to get the swamp cooler for the actual use of it if we ever get a summer lol

12. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

In desert West Texas, they were pretty common in the fifties. Anything beat the 100+ degrees you had to put up with. On the other hand, the last time I saw a new one on a newer car was in 1961. It was on an Impala(61) convertible. Looked out of place, but had done a fair job of keeping the young couple comfortable from California to Texas. If that's all I had, I'd use it. Nothing funny about the last few weeks of 100-114 degree weather we've had here. Would you rather be sick or comfortable?

13. Gromit

Gromit

FWIW I knew guys using them in the 80's. Factory AC was not all that common (at least here) untill the 90's I never had it in a car untill '95 or so. They do look better on 50's cars but I say grab it and cruise cool. You never know what you might own down the road right?

14. I saw one on a PTcruiser. Lets not go any further with this. PLEEEEEASE !

15. Gromit

Gromit

Wow... okay I can see using one if you really needed to cool your ride but a PT Cruiser? gak.

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Damn auto correct I think you meant PT Loser

17. I actually threw up a little when I saw it. But, then I have that reaction to most P.T. based...uhmm..."creations".:D.
    Paint it to match the car and stripe the hell out of it, or toss on some flames. It would be a good conversation starter at least!

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

hump" mounted swamper on a '63 Cad for one of my customers . New car but lacked factory A/C. . Worked pretty well ,

I thought all 63 Cadillac's came with factory air?

Ago

19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I say go for it, man! I'm planning on running one on my '66 Buick when it starts gettin real hot. I just moved to Sac and heard they work good here in the summer. I agree with comfort over kool. Sure my car is a '66 and could've had factory air, but it doesn't... I'd rather look like a dork to someone who's opinion I don't care about than die of heat stroke.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012