Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you pay for this 56 chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXracer64, Feb 28, 2013.

1. specialk

specialk

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Out of curiosity I took a look at Craig's List and found these. First '56 is $2,900. Second '56 is $4,000 obo. Third is a '55 that is freshly done $12,500 obo. Guess 55 and 56 Chevys are cheaper in California, and usually the projects have less rust. There are many more. These are just a few in my area.

Attached Files:

3. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

i find cars in cali are always cheaper, just sucks they are on the ther side of the country.

4. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

I'd say 5 to 6 thousand all day long

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'm cheap so I'd pay no more than $2000. Most cars from up north have major rust issues. Ask me how I know!

6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

If the end of the rear mount is bad carefully check the inner rockers.....and the body mount that runs the length of the tailpan...based on the "story" its possible this northern car "survived"

7. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

I would be getting it as cheap as I could and reselling 8-10K after a little TLC. Put profits towards my Olds....find another and repeat.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

5-6 helps, but I don't know how much. I've seen a number of 210 post cars around here in the 1500-2500 range over the last few years. you have to remember its still a SOFT market out there. If you've got cash you've got the best bargining chip.

I'd be player in the 2500-3500 range for a post car. HT would be more, sedan less. but them my buddy sold a roughly comperable 57 duplex last year for like $2500. but it really depends if it's for resell or to build. to build I'd be willing to go higher for a good starter if I were building.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd rather have a 2 door post car. Tri5's are known for rusted floor pans, body mounts, braces and tail pans. Before making any offer they need to be checked. Replacing floor pans is an expensive and time consuming job. It's not for newbies.

10. oldpaint

oldpaint

I have a couple of 56s. I don't think he is to far off on his starting price, he remembers it as a running driving car. It may not take to much to get it running and driving again, and with alitttle clean up you will have a cool driver. Tri-fives will always hold their value, especially 2dr Belairs. You can buy almost any part for a 56 except the front fenders from Ecklers or Danchuk. I would offer $6000 and be prepared to meet somewhere in between.
    I believe the reason the tarp is under the car is to keep it from rusting. Up here we will put plastic under cars in storage to keep the ground moisture off the car. Ask him about that.

11. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Thanks for the replies, oldpaint i will heed your warnings and check it all out. i will get pics for you guys.

12. I'm in for 5,000 if its a CA or AZ.
    I would have to look at it before paying more if its not from the South West.

13. For some reason the cars are cheaper up our way then in So Ca.
    I don't understand why?

14. Look at the body mounts underneath, especially the ones in front of the rear wheelwells. If that thing has sat for any length of time with the trunk open, check all the seams in the trunk up to and over the rear wheelwells. All of it is fixable, but in my opinion, I would start with a $3500-4000 offer and see what happens

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

Also, take a look around the top of the rear shock mounts, up inside the trunk. The trunk sheet metal is what the top of the shocks mount to. The area around the trunk floor for the shock's threaded rod, is prone to cracking, and tearing.:eek: My avatar had this issue, and it never left the East Bay of SF Bay Area during its life. Welded in a cross bar for the top of the shocks to mount to, and no more trunk floor flexing.

16. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I really get a kick out of all the guys that would offer to buy this car for $1000 to $3000. I would kindly ask them to leave my property. Number two I have had a bunch of these cars over the years and only had one that didnt need some floor repair and work in the tailpan area. What impresses me about this car is how stock it is. I bet you could get it running and driving with a couple of weeks work. That being said I would hate to give 8k for it but wouldnt be scared at all at around 6k. If that car was at auction I think it would surpass 8k easily. Just my thoughts.

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

18. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey I only said the 1000.00-4000.00 dollar mark because of the pictures that he provided and just going of the pictures alone. There are a lot of factors here and if this was the only info / pictures provided on this car I wouldn't want the guy to get screwed on a potential piece of shit.

As soon as he gets some under car shots then the price of course is going to naturally increase if it is in good shape.
    Jay

19. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Not all cars from here are rusty, you guys should see the floorboards and undercarriage of my 64 Gal.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013