Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you pay for this 56 chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXracer64, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Looks like a good project-as my old buddy likes to say" its got good potential "

2. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Where at in NJ is it located? If you don't have any previous experience in tri5 Chevy's then I would suggest having someone that does look it over in person before you make an offer. As said, you can build a new one from a catalog so finding parts isn't the issue. There are a lot of hidden areas they like to go. One spot not mentioned is the A pillar. Also bottom of the cowl, trunk floor, rear pan, floor braces, inner and outer rockers. Get under the car with a light and an icepick, especially if it's under coated and start poking.
    Myself personally, I don't see anymore than $5,500 if it's solid. If it were a hardtop and not a sedan, then the price would be significantly higher.

3. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

OK, No offense but...
    If I saw someone actually do that I would laugh my ass off

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

were would one even buy a 150 watt bulb these days

5. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Thanks for all the responses guys. Ive known this guy for a about 4 months, hes an old timer from my neighborhood i met at the deli. He is asking 8 and told me to shoot him an offer. He seems to be willing to work something out. He trusts me and said i can go look at the car 24/7 without him being there. What i will do is get a jack under there and take more pics for you guys. We lifted the mat in the trunk and its look great. The car hasnt been started in while but he says it does run. I would like to get it street worthy and drive as is for now. Front bench seat foam is like a brick. One of the body supports near the area of the front of the rear tire is rotted. He told me the factory would use a sponge like material to seal the body in that area, which in turn holds moisture. Also, that is the original paint. Before he bought it, it was kept in dry storage for 30 years. My ultimate goal would be to restore it as original, but would take me years. Hey, i got 2 boys, too young right now though. i see it as my only chance to ever get one, but definatly wont overpay. Im a ford guy, but how can you resist this beauty!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Interior

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  7. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Click on the pics for a bigger view!

You can see the cardboard the previous owner used to display at car car shows sitting on the front seat, that was found in the trunk.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  8. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

It would likely sell in the $3000-3500 range here. Location is a major factor when determining value.

9. Its a really honest looking all orig car so-All jokes aside, if this car was for sale on EBAY,it would definitely fetch 8500 dollars or more......and yes I have experience in 56's and ebay too....
    when we grew up the 55 57 Chevys were the only cars we had thru our teenagers years.

10. dart165

dart165

Agreed.

The smarter question to ask for a thread like this is what would you sell this car for... people tend to put more of an honest value on a car when they take the "i would only buy it if i can get a killer deal" part out of it.

Would any of you guys sell this car for $3500? I certainly wouldn't.

As far as $3-4k, or the lower numbers, I'd love to see you get it for that little, but that seems crazy low to me. I see tri-fives bringing much more, and for some SERIOUS roachy examples at that. Dont get me wrong, i dont agree with them selling for that much, the the fact of the matter is that they are still desirable cars, and for a 2 dr thats complete, and would probably clean up well... if you dont snatch it up, someone else will, and you will see it one ebay in2 weeks with an $8500 reserve...which will get met.

11. robertsregal

robertsregal

If the left side looks as good as the right I would be in the 5-6000 range,where is it at ? If you would be willing to share I will let you know what I got it for!! Looks good!

12. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Thanks for the advice guys!! If I can't come up with an agreement, ill let you guys know. I want it bad but don't want to tie myself up. I would never buy and sell to make a buck on this guy. Hes one guy I like to have around as a friend.

13. raymay

raymay

56 Chevy 2dr post is a great looking car for restoration, hot rod, gasser, custom or just a nice cruiser. This one could be a money pit but it does appear to be complete. You should do a good inspection of the underside as well as the body. The good news is parts are available. The bad news could be how much you have to invest to finish the car. Don't let just the look sell you on the car. I would bet a lot of the mechanicals are in need of upgrade or replacement.
    I would think if it runs and turns out to be fairly solid that 4 or 5k might be a reasonable price. Again figure out what you are willing to put into a finished ride. If you end up making an offer on this one maybe start low around 3K. You can always offer more if it turns out to be a good solid deal.
    Good luck.

14. If a guy just looks at those seat covers they tell a big story as to the car's real condition......
    mostly orig paint- OEM skirts......most all Bel AIR trim in place....
    Home Run baby! buy it.

15. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

I'd ride with Surface Rust on this one.

My bet is the ASKING price is way north of 10 grand.

I guess it depends on how bad you want one.

16. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

If I had that car and wanted to sell it in a reasonable amount of time in this area, yes, I'd sell it for $3500. That car would be a real tough sell at $5K around here, and I really doubt it would attract any interest at $8K around here. But if the guy can get $8K for it more power to him.

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I think there's more rust there thsn you realize. Up here in Montana its about a 3k car.

18. In my neck of the woods 2 to 3 grand,,if there is a title.

I won't ever go through the nightmare of no title in South Carolina again. HRP

19. oakhill

oakhill

With a good title ----------- Running and Driving --------$6000+

That front seat is worth $800 in my neck of the woods.

20. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Attached Files:

21. Abomb

Abomb

22. $3,000..Really?
    If that could be bought for that amount, I wouldn't think twice about it.
    Not sure what that '55 mordoor has to do with this..like comparing apples to oranges.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

So, to summarize, it's worth somewhere between $10 and $10,000. Okay? Good.

24. Jay71

Jay71

$2 to $3 grand!?!? Looks like I need to take a trip to S.Carolina to pick up some cars. That car would go for double that around here any day of the week, running or not. I'm pretty suprised at some of the prices on here.

25. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I'm with you, that thing is a new car here and cars rotted up to the door handles bring $3,000

26. oakhill

oakhill

27. Cerberus

Cerberus

Put a 150 watt bulb under the floor boards, get inside and look for pinholes.

This suggestion was originally posted on Team Camaro dot com. Helps to do it at night.I had purchased a '68 Camaro with a bad heater core. Did the light bulb inspection, found a few pinholes, used POR15 to coat the floor. Held up with out failure for six years when I sold the car. I thought it was a bright idea.;):D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  28. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I bought a 57 in about the same condition,but was from Arizona,so pretty solid for 5k.I think the 56 you are looking at is right in there.

29. oakhill

oakhill

One question. Why is the tarp under the car instead of over it?

30. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

There is one under and over it. Dunno why.