Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what would you pay for these halibrand wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Nov 13, 2015.

1. That's one heck of an old ratty dune buggy

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

These little ' Magic Box's ' are great for finding out stuff, just have to know where to look and it is all there some where

Good going guys !!!

hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Dayum Holmes, errr ....I mean George! CSI ain't got shit on you! That's pretty freakin' impressive investigating! :D

4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have seen lots of thread started her on HAMB & Ford Barn ""WHAT IT WORTH """
    then end up on eBay !!
    Do your Own Work !!
    Educate yourself !!
    Do your OWN research ,,
    Come up with Your Own WHAT IT WORTH price !!
    Information @ your finger tips,& has become easier than ever to get ,and people are still lazy !!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I didn't think it was the same car, but I was pretty sure it was Pappy. I had just cleaned my glasses when I saw the picture. I was fairly certain the Pappy was Neil, but the car looks like it says, 'Neal'.

Frenchtown Flyer knows stuff about Logghe. I'm not sure about this though.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It'll be interesting to see what he thinks. Its just a guess on my part based on circumstantial evidence. But it looks like the right car and the geography matches up.

7. noboD

noboD

Does anyone remember the early Tempest auction. The one with the full sized Pontiac rearend?

Tony Martino likes this.
  8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Now I'm questioning the stance even ... Sounds like O.P. was ready to scrap the dune buggy and sell the wheels in the beginning, if his oppertunity for an offer was accepted...

Within days it becomes a logghe drag car .... No wonder so much hotrod history is gone

I'm guessing George is right... and the car resides with its origional owner/family, which is why it still exists....but what about when the grand kids don't care and it goes to the scrapper :-/

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You mean the 6 figure drag car?

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Why is it still outside?:eek:

volvobrynk, kidcampbell71 and bowie like this.
  11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Owner probably doesn't put much value on it , but keeps it around cause of the memories associated from it

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. mike bowling

mike bowling

I just hope some dipshit (ahem) doesn't part it out and destroy it- it needs to be kept in a safe place till someone can restore it .
    Great story; strange beginning.
    Excellent job, Detective "falcongeorge"!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. What sucks is that Dan Logghe (son of one of the brothers ) was killed two or three years back in an air accident. He was vice president of the current Logghe company. There's no telling what the family thinks of that old drag car now. With the race car chassis stuff ending in the mid-70's there is no immediate link to that car really. Just one of dad's or uncle's olden days' drag cars. It may very well just dissolve away.

Sad, even as THE innovator in today's current funny car bloodlines .... the tragedy of family loss is a big thing to overcome. Hard to say. Wonder what they would think of us ... in awe of them ?

volvobrynk, wedjim, hipster and 2 others like this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

he was killed in a helicopter accident, right?

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Something like that. Showing my Texas roots ... but he was a known trap shooter. Funny right ? Family one of the biggest NHRA names ... and the kid was a competitive skeet shooter and hunter. A lot of that in Michigan I guess. He was really good, nationally known. One of a kind last name ... put two and two and there we are ... who woulda' thunk that ? Chassis to shooting. Family lines do indeed spread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

My self , I have seen a lot of Dune Buggy's , but none that resemble that !

This is how I Purchases my 1932 Ford ,
    Father passed away,

Rich Kids Did not Care , ( several nice car's ) to them it was Just a old Car ,
    with No radio !!

modelkitbasher and volvobrynk like this.
  17. jcs64

jcs64

looks to me that the OP came to exactly the right place to find some answers! Some are busting his stones, But now he has learned so much about how really cool this car is. Come on guys tell me where else one could have gone to get this kind of history lesson.
    great job on getting some story on this, id love to find more info!

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I too found this in '60 December issue of HOT ROD. Says it was sbc powered and a crowd favorite.

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Hi there , I (OP) am not positive what I have found or looking at , I might have found a old race car or Hot Rod ,I did a search ,,but I did not find the Information that I was looking for, Where or what should I look at to determine what I should value these wheels at , tell Me if I might be playing too much ,because I do not have Deep pocket's to Fund my 32 build ,
    Hear are a few pics of the wheels and the Car ,

snopeks garage and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

All this "research" took 24 hours, a true example of The Power of the HAMB. Bob

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This slays me. The O/P is so enamored by the "shiny" wheels that he doesn't even notice the significance of the car (dune buggy) that they're on (even though he's "building a 32" and was right on the car to get close up pics of the wheels) and completely misses the big picture.
    The whole thing reminds me of the scene in Raging Bull, where a terribly desperate for money Jake Lamotta hastily takes a hammer to his championship belt to remove the jewels from it.
    The next scene has the frustrated pawn shop owner explaining to him that the jewels have SOME value, but pleads the entire package is where the value lies; "I wish you'd have just brought in the entire belt".

22. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I have learned so much from this this experence! Thank you everyone!

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

If you are going to just "flip them", add a little value to them by removing the old tires and cleaning them up. In other words, "earn the money for the flip" You are lucky to find them, but just add a little value to them.

24. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

This really turned into an amazing find, but isn't this the exact reason people build fences to begin with? I maybe wrong about this, but I always thought when people want to sell things, they keep them where people can see them not locked up behind fences.

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  25. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

The fence has a gate that opens (right next to the car) that is the entrence/exit of this public buisness. when I was leavening I noticed the car. That's when I went back inside and asked about the car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. rfraze

rfraze

If you get it, how about giving the guys that told you what it was a shot at buying it.

Very entertaining and educational thread, thanks.

27. Wow are you late to the party

28. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

But I was drunk when I show up.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I've read every post/reply to this thread, IMHO this car is a historical piece of racing heritage that at some point in its future existence should be properly restored and either run at exhibition matches or Hot Rod Reunions of any kind. In the off season displayed at places like Garlits, NHRA, Petersen,Blackhawk, Nethercut or any other museum that could house it out of the elements for the winter to preserve its restored appearance.

Great to find a early vintage drag or road race car of any mfg, but never part it out unless it was a complete disaster (in a track related smash up). I have a rear set of those small window Hali's, When I noticed the title to the post,(believe me, I could use those fronts). Intrigued I read further.... This is in no means is a "Dune Buggy", but I have seen 32 Fords done up as Pismo Runners which were also covered in the Mags back in the 50's-60's. They were actual "Dune Buggies" before the whole Meyer invasion.

I've been in the position to buy a cool old "race job" for its wheels and QC. I really looked over what I bought. It was from someone famous, but just a regular Hot Rod guy who hung out with us in West L.A. and in the SFV. When all of these parts were loaded up in my 77 SB Chev, I was pretty sick,possibly had the flu??? My Gal Pal at the time took all of the parts that she could get out of the bed and laid them out, I removed the frame, front and rear axles and we mocked it up. As it went together, it was decided that nothing would be taken from that car and a parts collection would start so it could be a race car again = (Still working that angle).

My point here is that all of this stuff has history and of you can find out any of it then Congrats as you have acquired something that has much more than monetary value to put towards your next project, but you have given a past,present and future generation of Hot Rodders something to appreciate again.

30. rooman

rooman

I talked to John Logghe last night to see if it was possible that he dad or uncle would want to acquire and restore the car but he told me that the only one that they ever wanted back was the full bodied small block dragster but that car is in the Garlits museum and despite being told that price was not an issue he was unwilling to let it go.
    That said, if the roadster IS available for purchase someone should restore it to its original Logghe raced configuration.
    And before I forget, the reason that we had trouble identifying the body is that it is a one off made by Logghe.
    Roo