Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stepsideclyde, Nov 5, 2007.

1. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

A guy that I used to work with was a street rodder, got out of it for reasons that I do not know. He has in his garage, a 59ab flathead, bone stock. Every time I see him, I say "hey Charlie, you got something to put that flathead in yet?" and He says "no, you want it, you can have it, if you got something to put it in" Now, I am not to familiar with the valve in block icon, but I can't help but think that it would be wonderful trade bait. No, I would not take the engine without a project to put it in, but what would some of you guys do? Would you take it and save it, in case a project came along? Would you take it and sell it? maybe trade?.. As far as i am concerned I guess, It will stay in his garage. What I would really like to see is him using it, but he seems pretty firm that he won't be building another rod (shame).

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i would take it and give it to me!:D

3. If you don't really want it or need it, how 'bout putting it up for sale and then split the proceeds with the guy when you sell it? I'd feel like I took advantage of somebody if they gave me something and I just turned around and sold it or traded it. Sooner or later that guy is going to ask you "hey, what'd you do with that engine?", and you're gonna feel like a jerk if you have to say, "I traded it for a big screen TV" or something.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

or find a project for it to go into..or offer to buy it from him at a reasonable cost, that way if you do sell it..you bought it so you could do what ever you wanted with it.
    looks to me like hes never going to use it so why shouldnt it be sold to some one who will use it.

5. take it before he says the same thing to somebody else..

6. GlenC

GlenC

I'd be securing it before someone offers him a case of beer for it and then sells it for scrap.

Cheers, Glen.

7. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Yea, actually he has made the offer to others, just not to the right crowd, I guess. He said he pulled the head and you can still see crosshatch in the bores. I hate to make this a "whats it worth?" thread but...

tc

8. john56h

john56h

ditto what Glen says

9. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I would find something to put it in or just trade him something for it.If he is willing to give it to you go get it or somone else will for almost nothing.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Take him up on his offer the honorable way.

Look for a cheap roller like a T bucket and put it in. Bet you'll be hooked.

11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

buy an A frame, and start building an A V8. get him involved. youll both have a ball.

12. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Don't take it if your not gunna use it. My dad gave a Edelbrock Slingshot manifold to a friend of his that said he had something he could use it on, back in the 70s. It's still sitting under his workbench. Now I've got something I would really like to use it on. I offered him $1000 for it (for storage fees I guess) and he wouldn't sell it becase he said "A good friend of mine gave that to me" What a dick.
    Jimmy

13. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

I would not take it if I wasnt going to use it but I would find something to put it in someday. I would grab it before it is gone.

14. cretin

cretin

I would definetly take it, I know I would be able to find something to put it in and its not often an engine is free.

15. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I think you need to have a project to put it in to make the deal 'right.' Taking it with no project and then selling it doesn't sound like the spirit of what he's saying if I'm hearing you correctly and it doesn't sound like you'd accept it with that plan anyway.

I'd start thinking about a project and see what you run into. In the mean time, you can learn about it and figure out just what you'd want to do with it so it would be a real project.