Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what would you do with a 3d printer??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Nov 18, 2015.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Eldorado/Toronado TH425 differential eliminator IMG_20190705_112624.jpg , tail cone:

brEad and patmanta like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is is what I scan with at work: https://www.creaform3d.com/en/portable-3d-scanner-handyscan-3d/technical-specifications

We have a Black Elite. It was about $100k when we bought it. I am sure that there are things out there now that would yield good results, for a less heart-stopping price.

patmanta likes this.
  3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

NICE WORK! What are you printing in, ABS? Are you going to run it in plastic or are you looking to cast it?

OooOOoooh! You have the GOOD TOYS! I think I am going to end up starting with a free phone app for scanning. It seems like the entry price points for 3D scanning are either Free Phone App, $2500 up noname offshore scanning rig off Amazon, or, like, tens of thousands of dollars for the real deal like the one you use.

4. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

I just tried out a free program called "Meshroom"; it converts multiple photos of an object into a 3D mesh. I photographed an object on a table from all angles, processed the photos into a 3D mesh in Meshroom, and then I used Blender (free 3D software) to deal with the generated 3D mesh. There's a learning curve but it worked pretty well.
    The program works best with objects that have lots of reference points; glossy surfaces and reflections will cause problems so a coat of matte primer/a grid of pen lines atop the object will help if it's smooth like a car part.
    If the phone app doesn't do what you wanted, give Meshroom and Blender a whirl!
    https://alicevision.org/#meshroom

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  5. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

The print you see in the photo is in PETG. I will be printing the set for use in Carbon Fiber Polycarbonate to test in use on the engine. When I’m completely happy with everything I will cast it in Aluminum.

patmanta likes this.
  6. I've used mine to create test profiles for bead roller dies. Had a lot of fun (trial and error) making them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

patmanta, brEad and madmike8 like this.