Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do? Opinoins neded.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Feb 5, 2009.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This one is going to be different.

I have a friend that has a pretty well equipted 2 car garage. He offered to me the chance to use his shop an hour or two a day (time may vary each day, it would be at the end of his work day) until about mid March, if I had something I wanted to do. He may even be available to assist or teach me things I don't know how to do.

The shop has lights, electrical outlets, heat, a Miller 250 mig, a Miller 170 with an aluminum spool gun, a huge air compresser, a plasma cutter, a tourch, drill press, hand drill, good drill bits, a big vice, a good floor jack, jack stands, air tools, grinders, air sanders, cut off tools, and the usual metal working hand tools and safety equipment. But no machine shop type stuff.

There is an assortment of 1/8" steel bar stock, a few sizes of angle iron, a few parcial lenths of tubing, and sheet steel in 14 guage, 16 guage, 18 guage and 20 guage, and a bunch of steel odds and ends and some aluminum. I can use whatever I want, but have to pay for the steel or aluminum at the end of each week. He will order anything i want but I have to pay for it before he will order it. If I break something I will need to replace it, and I'm expected to replace any grinder, cut off wheels, or other comsumables I use. I'm also expected to take 15 minutes to clean up after myself everyday.

Sounds great so far, right? Catch is, if whatever I work on takes up more then 2 square feet of floor space or won't fit on a shelf, I need to take it home everyday, can not even leave it outside. The other catch is he wants to know what I plan on doing.

The last one is the issue, I don't have a project right now, and the ones bouncing through my head would be a real problem taking home each night. Really hate to miss out on this oppertunity, if the offer would have been offered to you, what kind of a project would you do? Gene

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

Sorry... but I don't see this ending well. And you might lose a friend. GHOST

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Without a project or a plan, thank him kindly for his generosity and ask if YOU can help HIM out at all around his shop with his projects. May just turn into a valuable learning experience once you get your project.