Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do ? Chopped top too short, sell or rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordtudor37, Oct 4, 2011.

1. toddc

toddc

Like someone else has already posted, the steering whell looks pretty awkward.

Also, is there any room under the floor where your feet are resting? You might be able to cut a well into the floor and lower the pedals, thus lowering your knees and stretching your legs a bit more???

I'm not a 32 expert, but can you modify the header panel above the windscreen to increase the field of view? From the photos it looks like you could rdius the bottom edge a bit???

2. oj

oj

3. Im a big guy 6'6 330lbs and have had to modify seats to fit my big butt. If you were closer to me I could help you out no problem. What you need to do is remove the seat, then remove the tracks. Then place the seat directly on the floor and try that. Then use peices of 1x4's to shim it into place until its where you want it. Like OJ has said, the seat currently looks to be at too steep an angle as well as too high off the floor. You may have to channel the seat tracks into the bottom of the seat frame. Then the steering column will need to be lowered to suit your comfort.

4. csimonds

csimonds

Hey Fordtudor37,
    I live in Norwich and would be more than happy to give you hand getting you set up to cruise. my buddy Sean Spgill here on the HAMB lives in Canterbury and I am sure he would be more than happy to give a hand also. I'm sure with all of our heads together we can get you back to comfy driving! Let me know if I can help.
    Chuck

5. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

OJ - I do and don't agree with what you said, so please clarify.

I do agree the rear is lower, due to the fact that I went from (8.20-15) 29.59 inch diameter polyester tires to 27.75 inch diameter radials. Since then situation has gotten worse for me. I am trying to find a set of 265/75R15 used tires first to see if that makes a difference.

I don't agree, with the fact that I feel that I am having to look down in order to drive the car, because my problem is with the top of the windshield not being high enough while trying to safely look out. (look at album picture were in garage looking out windshield).

The only solution I can see (look at my "in car" album picture while reading this pargraph) is to raise the back of the seat, so that the "line of reference" from my knee to my as_ is more level, which would help my back and eliminate the "line of reference" from center of skull to shoulders which is causing the pinch in my neck causeing my right arm to go knumb. Though I am not sure what it will do for my ciattica or lower back.

Understand me on this point - no matter what angle you sit at, the human body will naturally look in a "horizontal line of sight" by adjusting one's neck.

The issue at hand is where my "horizontal line of sight" is, compared to the top of the windshield.

What I have learned from this discussion to this point is -
    A) The only solution to fixing the problem while using the body that I have now, is to lower the seat and straighten up the back of the seat, eliminating the "line of reference from skull to shoulders" counting on this to eliminate my arm from going knumb.
    B) The problem this creates is a greater knee to as_ "line of reference" which unfortunately has already put my back out and given me the reason to start this thread as I tried adjusting the seat forward more, on the drive home from the Burlington,VT NSRA show. The 277 mile trip home put me out of action for two days due to my back.

BEACHBUM JIM - thanks for the offer of assistance.
    CSIMONDS - I might just take you up on that offer soon.

Appreciate all your help, please feel free to forward more idea's.
    As one of my favorite TV stars use to say - "I'm listening"

Rick

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Why the hell would you buy a fiberglass car if your that allergic to fiberglass??

7. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

It the only way to get a '32 Ford without robbing a bank !

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

May be a stupid idea- have you gone to some new car dealers to test-fit the seats? Take a tape measure and camera, when you fit into the perfect car measure up everything. Different cars sit differently. Try trucks too.
    My '50 is set for my wife, and works ok for me.
    My '07 HHR fits me fine too, but my '97 Saturn - well I wear it like a fine jacket. I swear whoever designed that car was 6'2" and 200lbs - just like me.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

This is very cool. You are a good man. I don't care what anybody says...:)
    This is no doubt the best idea offered up. I'll bet that a positive outcome will be found.

10. oj

oj

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A few observations off the top of my head:

Perhaps you need a bit better upper back support. The photos show that your seats have a hollow in the area just below your shoulders, which could be causing the bit above that to press against your lower neck. This is especially important as the back tilt of the seats puts you in a position where you have to use your neck muscles to keep your head up, rather than just to keep it centred and pointing the right way. If the "bolster" part of the seat were less pronounced and a bit higher, it might support your lower neck area better and relieve that.

If "high back" buckets do the job it'd be by accident: if properly designed a car seat's headrest should only contact the back of your head when someone rearends you, and then nearer the base of the skull than anywhere else. It'd depend on where the support is: a lot of high-backs are shaped like bowling pins, you sort of roll off the sides.

As regards the sciatica, make sure your seats don't have a gaping hole behind your lower back! The pronounced lower back pads you see on fancy Euro driving seats really do work - though the ones on cheap imitations are more for show and end up being nasty lumps sticking into one's back.

As a few others have said, the steering wheel position doesn't look right. I'd have it a bit more vertical and a bit closer. The rule I follow: when sitting comfortably with your shoulder against the seat back, you should just be able to wrap your hand around the top of the steering wheel without stretching your arm. When doing this there should be no strain, you should be entirely relaxed; i.e. your arm is almost straight but not quite.

12. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

There is no bad idea, there are only idea's which get no results - Albert Einstien.
    The only dumb question is the one that's not asked - Myself.

Yes, I know what works for me.
    We have and I do drive daily, either the 2008 Ford Ranger which rides nice to me our 2009 Subaru Forester which fits and cradles me "like a glove".
    The '32 fits no where into that "design" though all my other street rod's did.

"The '32 to me is like having kids or riding rollercoasters - If you don't try it once, you'll never have the memories."

This post is slowly leading me down one path as it seems to be getting clearer and clearer for me what I have to do.
    THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

13. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

OJ and Ned Ludd - you have both brought up some good points I did not think of !

You need to look down, can you see your headlights? fenders? while driving - if not then you are sitting too low and that is what your problem really is.

OJ - Did you sit in my car when I wasen't looking? Nail right on the head ! Being my first '32 I just thought it was normal not to see anything below the grille shell top.
    So what I get out of what your saying is, my "line of vision" should be somewhat parallel to the rake of the car.

As regards the sciatica, make sure your seats don't have a gaping hole behind your lower back!
    When sitting comfortably with your shoulder against the seat back, you should just be able to wrap your hand around the top of the steering wheel without stretching your arm. When doing this there should be no strain, you should be entirely relaxed

Ned Ludd - yes they do have an open space at the lower back, unless you force yourself into the seat hard which doesn't last for long. Others have said to adjust the steering wheel, but I wasen't sure what they meant exactly. Your specific instructions have clarified things for me.

Thank you again to all.

14. Hey Fordtudor37 it sounds like you are losing faith. Hang in there. I was looking at the photo of you sitting in the car and one thing really jumped out at me and that is the steering wheel placement. You are reaching for it and it looks like your shoulders are shrugged forward. That would put strain on your middle back. Your arms are completely stretched out while holding the wheel. Have your wife take a photo of you sitting in your subaru and see how you are sitting. Jim

Attached Files:

15. alchemy

alchemy

Here's what I'd do, and it won't cost you anything but time (yet):

Unbolt the seat and take the tracks off. Unbolt the steering wheel from the column.

Now, put the seat on the coupe's floor and prop it to a position that you like with chunks of 2x4 and plywood. Or if you need more cushion behind your back, get a thin pillow or some foam. Mess around with this alot til you are comfortable and can see and reach the pedals. Now sit in the car without moving for at least a half hour. Still comfortable? If not, rearrange and try it again. If you need a lower seat, borrow one and try again.

Now that you are comfortable, hold the loose steering wheel in the best spot you can find. Pay no attention to the column. Have a friend make some measurements to where the wheel needs to be for optimum comfort. Now move the column so it matches. And build new seat mounts (and reupholster with additional foam, if required) so your backside will be happy.

16. mikew

mikew

I would pull the seats out and play around by using a piece of plywood for your butt and some sort of block for your back. Play around until it feels better using different block thicknesses in the front and back.

Seems to me that the cushion may be too thick, which would let you lower your butt without lowering the seat frame. Also, I agree that it looks like the steering wheel is at a bad angle and too far away. You can unbolt the steering wheel and hold it where it feels comfortable. Once you determine that, you can figure out how to get the steering column to that point.

Good luck,
    Mike

17. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I want to thank all the HAMB members who have taken there time to post a comment on this thread.
    Beachbum Jim, OJ and Ned Ludd, thanks for the education and words of encouragement.

After reading all posts thoroughly and taking a picture of me behind the wheel of our Ford Ranger, I have found that my "lines of reference" compared to the '32 are drastically different and that high back seats do make a difference in how one sits "comfortably".
    This weekend I am going to start with installing the Cadillac tilt/tele column I was going to sell and then readjust the seat till I get my "lines of reference" to match or at least come very close.
    High backs would look nice and work better, but I feel the "look" would be lost if I changed to them. I already regret changing the whitewalls out, but it was necessary in order to get home safely that day.

18. nah...needed an access door to the master cylinder...it was cheep and works...leaving on the label, too, just for shits and giggles....:cool:

19. yep....get comfy FIRST...then build it where it needs to be in THAT position. Thats exactly what I did.

20. yep...bring the seat back more verticle so ya aint all hunched up, set the seat lower, however much you can...and move that steering wheel/column so your arms are more relaxed...maybe a tilt tele would do it..

21. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

UPDATE 10-8-2011

Today I -
    A) Moved the seat back far enough so that my legs would be more comfortable.
    B) Modified the gas pedal shaft to work comfortably with my foot positioning.
    C) Ripped out the old steering column and installed the Cadillac tilt/tele.

Feels better already !

Can't wait to order the column parts from Juliano's and Borgeson.

Thanks all, Rick

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  22. Way to go Rick.... sometimes its the little details we overlook! Most people dont think about seat placement much less where the steering wheel ends up but its very important. When I used to do upholstery id have the owner sit in it and make sure they were comfortable the make adjustments as needed!!!! Send me pics id like to see the difference!!! Jim

23. 26 roadster

26 roadster

how many people drive the car? That's the only reason to have the adjusters and that 1" tube under them. I disagree with high back seats in a car you can bearly see out of from the git. I also have a bad back and have had to give up cars built by other people for ones that fit ME.

24. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I want to thank everyone who took the time to comment on the issue I was having and give guidance with thier knowledge.

Caddilac tilt/tele column installed and this allowed me to move approximately 6-8 inches back from where I originally was.
    As the seat moved back it lowered the base of the seat enough (though a minimum amount), so that it feels as if I am now looking more in the horizontal center of the windshield.
    Adding the Grant 3.5 inch dish steering wheel makes it much more comfortable on my shoulders and arm. I fabricated a new telescopic lock lever by going thru the chrome horn cap and the horn works as it should via the center cap.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My '32 3 window had a JRS body with a stock height roof. When I got the car painted, my painter said the body had been unchopped. Using a drop light, he showed me where it had been unchopped. I actually liked the unchopped look since it seems every 3 window you see has a chop, so it can be done.

26. Big Jon

Big Jon

hey rick , you definatly look more comfortable , pleased you stuck with it to get sorted,
    it bloody great to have a "cyber" garage, it just like mates turning up to give advise but without them drinking your beer LOL . to the guys who helped through the process cheers
    great advise, sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees and it takes someone removed from the problem to help solve it.

27. :DRick you did good... just needed to vent then get some helpful advice. Like I said "when you want something so bad you cant see straight, walk away from it". And Big Jon, beers and advice are always free at my garage.:cool:

28. I'm glad to see you are making forward progress but I still think the seats are way to thick in the bottom and back area to get you where you need to be. I do agree that other column was to short and caused your arms to be straight which adds extra weight leverage to your neck back area.

29. PRB

PRB
    from Az

My interior guy showed me a trick and it worked well. He takes 1/2 in square tubing and welds them to the seat frame then wires the springs down to them up front and in the back (not under your butt) and this lowers the seats stance about 1 in but feels the same. I just ran the tubing under the frame and over the top of the springs for the same effect without welding and dropped my vision line a good 1 1/2 in in my cut down windshield.

30. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

UPDATE - Took the car for an hour ride today and YAHOO !

No more issue's seating wise, it seems to me that I am looking out the center of the windshield now and sitting so far back it seems easier to see out the side windows.

Thank you for all your input, advice and words of encouragement !