Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do? barn find.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jibs, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jibs

Jibs

A buddie of mine bought this 1937 Olds 4 door sedan today. Car is complete, all orginal, 62,000 miles, last PA inspection 1961, does not run, motor is locked up. Body is just as solid as it looks, just surface rust. The doors close as if it was new. What would you do with it?

http://public.fotki.com/wcsr/

http://www.wcstreetrodders.com/

Attached Files:

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you had to have an idea of what you wanted to do with the car before you bought it.
    clean it up,subframe,sbc,s-10 rear,the body and interior to your taste.

don't be led to to what others want,be your own hotrod man!!!

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

with that ass end there isn't much to do, get it running/driving, maybe skirts, lower it and paint it a nice glossy black

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

X2...would be a cool almost stock cruiser for the family etc. gloss black all the way!

Nice grill btw. maybe like old school lowrider bomba style, but with wide whites and stock rims.

5. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

bomber style is also the first thing that came to my mind.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a nice looking car. see if the motor can be made to run without much $$$. if ther motor is junk then put in a V8

keep the body stock either way. I think it would look cool all bombed out with accessories if a person were inclined to put some work and dollars in it.

7. Squablow

Squablow

That's what I'd do with it too. Teardrop skirts, a Fulton visor, fog lights, every availible factory accessory, clean paint and trim, all on 16" artilleries with wide whites. Lowered a bit more in back than in front.

Go to Chevybombs.com and start reading. This car would look stupid with fat tires in back and a big engine, it's not that kind of car.

8. phukinartie

phukinartie

GET it running drive it and decide later

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

Chop the hell out if it and lay the trunk area down just a little bit...GHOST

Attached Files:

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

bomb-style.

oh, and don't paint it orange :p

11. Ghost28

Ghost28

12. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

get it running, drive it around then enter the local demo derby.

13. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

No! That's a neat old car, sure it's different, but I don't think it's ugly.:eek:

With the right tires/wheels/stance, it would make a nice driver...you might even get folks wanting to hire you for weddings and such.

As a family man, I think it's perfect. I would just make it safe/reliable and drive it!

14. Clean it up, paint it, get it running, then swap it to a restorer for a coupe and use the coupe for the hot rod.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This ones gets most idiotic post of the week.... :eek:

Bomb style...

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Doesn't look like a bad car, but personally, I'd leave it in the barn and let someone else fool with it.

edit: I kind of like the front end though. How about chop off the back and make a pickup out of it?

17. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

oh and don't chop it, cars like this chopped look too 'flattened' imo

Attached Files:

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

would make a cool family road boat toss an engine in it and drive it in black primer or paint it

19. Ghost28

Ghost28

What was in the stall next to it ?????

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Replace the engine and transmission with a modern six, say 250, with 3 carbs and headers, a 200-4R OD auto or T5. Rebuild the original brakes, use a dual master cylinder, and RIDE.

21. eye bone

eye bone

Wow! I'd get it running & drive the F___ out of it while I thought about it! Cool!

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

looking at it in the daylight makes me sorry i sold it.

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

stock on the outside and use it to pull an old teardrop trailer!

24. I think this is the best Idea.
    George

25. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Somebody in East L.A. would give you his last peso for it.

26. Scott F.

Scott F.

I think that it would look good as kind of a 'gangster' style ride.
    Not 'gangsta' like Eazy-E either.

You know, BIG traditional engine, stock exterior, fat whitewalls, lowered just a little in the back, a super plush traditionally styled interior and some shiny black paint.
    I can practically see some old gangster standing on the running board, hanging onto the open window frame with his tommy gun in hand and a big stogie clenched between his teeth. COOL!

Scott

27. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

"then enter the local demo derby."

jjeeeezzzeee that was a bit harsh.

28. RoadBurner

RoadBurner

I like the 'gangster' look idea. Or maybe like a bootlegger's car with a big engine. It certainly needs to keep it's stock look. About the only thing I would customize on the body would be the tail lights. They look kind of like and afterthought and almost out of place. Maybe something about 3/4 back on the rear fenders would look nice (about where the filler neck is.)

There aren't too many colors I'd paint it either. Black, dark blue or dark green.

If you swap to a modern engine, I'd probably do a Chrysler 4.0 I6. Nice and reliable and plenty of low end torque to get it moving in a hurry and still able to cruise down the highway at modern day speeds with ease.

Oh, it needs to shoot flames out from under the rear bumper :D

29. Rooster

Rooster

I apologize in advance, but that's the ugliest F'ing grille in the World! What to do? Replace that with another GM make, lay in the trunk as part of a mailslot chop over S-10 yadda yadda...BING!

30. Get the original engine up and running first - it might just run as smooth an quiet as the day it was new! It would be a shame to trash the original drivetrain "just because"! Plus, if you got it running and THEN decided to swap to a V-8 or whatever, you know you have a good-running original engine with tranny to sell to an Olds restorer. It's not all that hard or difficult to get to the point where you know it'll run or not.

Get it running, then decide. Granted, a four-door Olds isn't everyone's idea of a hot rod, but YOU have to make the decision where to go with it.