Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What will fit between stock '32 hood sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by town sedan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. town sedan

town sedan

Reading over cabriolethiboy's thread about choosing a flathead or a hemi brings up a question I've wondered about before.

I've been told that the Dodge low deck 241/270 will fit without modified hood sides. Okay, well what about the tall deck Dodge 315/325 hemis, or the low deck Desoto engines? Will any of these other engines fit inside a stock full 1932 Ford hood?

Just something I've wondered about. Thanks,
    -Dave

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I would also like to hear some input on this. I have a tall deck DeSoto I was considering putting in a 32 but don't think the hood sides would clear.

3. town sedan

town sedan

I'm buying a rolling '32 frame that already has a later Mercury V8 in it along with a '39 transmission & juice brakes. Plan is to use as much of what I can and then add a '32 Brookville roadster body on top of it. I think a fenderless roadster with a full hood is a great look and since we all love the hemi I thought I'd do a little dreaming.

Good thing is I've wanted a flathead since 7th or 8th grade (about 42 years now) and I will enjoy any power plant that gets this thing on the road.
    -Dave

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I have a '55 Dodge 270 red ram hemi in my Brookville '32 roadster. It fit without cutting the original fire wall I'm using. It will not clear the hood sides unless you push the engine back and violate the fire wall.

town sedan likes this.

5. Andy

Andy

Yep, My 241 sticks out about 2" . It fit without cutting the firewall. I got smooth hood sides from Rootlib and also some MG blisters. All was good until I got some finned valve covers. The sides have been off ever since.
    The classic solution is Dick Smiths 331 Chrysler in his roadster. He cut the flat sides out to fit the covers. It is in the Ford museum.

6. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks for the input on this. The engine in the chassis runs, if possible I plan to keep it there -for now. The 325 in my basement might end up in it at some point. The idea of a 283 SBC wouldn't bother me either and it's 3" stroke might not break as many parts as the 3.80" stroke of the Dodge.

Thanks!
    -Dave

7. Trim the Hood sides.
    Poppy Show 4 (Medium).jpg

alchemy likes this.