Register now to get rid of these ads!

what will cause this???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamdpup, Jan 15, 2007.

1. slamdpup

slamdpup

check this out ..i have a damn near a full bottle of gas ..never had this happen before?..anyone have any ideas????????its only doing it in certian spots..not everywhere...its 16 gauge patch metal

Attached Files:

2. budd

budd

could be the little bit of oxadization still on the metal, i`d try giving it a better grind job, say about 1/4" on both sides of your seam.

3. slamdpup

slamdpup

i dont think its that...its clean ..it just looks that way in the pic..some spots are darker because of the shrinking disk marks

4. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Could be unclean surface, no gas (kink in hose, etc.) or bad gas.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Do you have any air moving the gas? As in a fan.

6. metalman

metalman

I had a pinhole in the line from tank to welder once, drove me crazy till I found it. I could hear the gas at the tip but was losing enough pressure my welds looked like crap.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

You sure you got the + and - leads on the handle wired to the box right?

8. slamdpup

slamdpup

no no moving air

9. slamdpup

slamdpup

yea i have been welding all day..with no problems at all..same welder same gas..same wire..like i said it only does it in certian spots around the gas door...its clean ...the tacks on the other side came out good..its mainly that 1 side..

10. budd

budd

try another piece of metal as a test, grind it down to bare metal and do a few tacks right in the middle away from any seams.

11. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Gas door? If the area has been contaminated for years with leaded gas the lead will imbed itself in the iron. Might be a possibility.

12. Gumpa

Gumpa

I agree with xlr8 on the gasolline issue. I chased this same problem on the bed of an old pickup used by a maintenence crew for logging equiptment until I just gave up and got another bed.

13. slamdpup

slamdpup

ok i have been welding on other panels with no problems at all..then i get back on the gas door to finish the welding and again this shit happens again...im sure now its the lead that you were talking about...how do i clean it off so i can get a good clean weld there??????????????..any ideas..anybody else ever have this happen to them???????

14. Soviet

Soviet

Just like xlr8 stated, it's possible that the area directly around the gas door is heavily contaminated with lead. It might be easiest to cut out an area around the door opening that has not been contaminated - it will me more work now, but you won't have to keep messing with contaminated welds. Just a thought.

15. williebill

williebill

sounds like the lead is causing this,but I had a similar problem the other night while welding plain old mild steel...thought WTF?? then realized when I popped the nozzle off to clean the slag out of it,I didn't push it all the way back on,so I'm guessing it was drawing air through the gap..welds bubbled up like hell,full of air pockets,voids,shit...30 years of welding,and this is the first time i've ever done that..sometimes it is the simple stuff

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when in doubt, crank up the amps....

it has been my experience when the metal is dirty a little boner appears on the weld. looks to me like you have an indent. I would rule out dirty metal.

how's your nozzle? full of junk? clean it out. tip screwed on tight? nozzle screwed on tight?

17. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Well if the welds are fine on another piece of metal, it's obviously a contamination issue on the car. Welds with no gas don't look like that, they are usually more crusty and full of tiny air bubbles. Those look like melted lead! You'll have to find a way to find out where the contamination is, then remove it. Maybe a light 120 grit DA, wipe clean, change disk, repeat. Might clean it up enough to get a good weld.

18. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I'm not sure you can clean it. From what I understand the lead and steel become fused together. It might be possible to sweat the lead out with a torch, that's about all I've got for ideas.

19. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I would think about a respirator at this point, I hope you're not breathing that shit....

20. slamdpup

slamdpup

yes all clean

21. slamdpup

slamdpup

i have corrected the problem...not the traditional way ..but its fixed...i grinded all the welds down and cleaned it again front side and back side and panel glued it(duramix) front and back..i didnt really want to do it this way but that stuff is very strong so i trust it..used it alot in the past on other vehicles..so i know it works..thats also how i was gonna peak my hood anyways..NO HEAT envolvled...but i am pretty damn sure it was from the lead gas...i hit the welder on some lead that i havent dug out yet on the car and the puddles looked the same..so im convinced..so problem solved..moving on to the next mod...thanks all for the replys

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for sharing the problem. Now I know what to look for. I never would have thought about the lead in the gas.

23. slamdpup

slamdpup

yea i didnt have a clue what the hell was goin wrong...its on there now tho...i think it might even be stronger than weld now...i put a thick coat of duramix around the seam inside and out and put a head lamp on it for 20 hours...filed down the excess tonight and put the heat lamp back on it for couple hours...i dont think there will be a problem..i will be peaking my hood with that stuff as well..dont have to worry about warping at all....thanks for all the replys and help

24. tragic59

tragic59

Slamdpup, I wanna see a tech post on peaking your hood with that duramix stuff.

Can you swing one? With pics and step by step?

25. slamdpup

slamdpup

im not ready at this point to do the hood...its abit to cold outside to use that duramix on a large area..but when i do it i will take pics and post them..the temp. needs to be at least 65 to 85 degrees..

26. butch27

butch27

Hell: all of my welds end up looking like that.(Flux core 110 welder only).

27. slamdpup

slamdpup

i tried that once...WILL NEVER FUCKIN DO IT AGAIN...lol