Register now to get rid of these ads!

What width tube axle in 62 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooManyFords, Apr 6, 2013.

1. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Planning on hanging my tube axle in my 1962 Falcon and the one I have is about 49 in inches center to center on king pins. I am thinking I want about 44 or 45. What are you running? I am running Shelby 15x4.5 Wheels. Also can any one tel me if this looks like Econoline spindles and drums?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The Falcon was 55" wheel flange to wheel flange.

3. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I put a Speedway kit in mine. 48" center of king pin to center of king pin was perfect .

4. ^^^ thats what I bought for the 62 comet

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Econoline axles are 52" kingpin to kingpin. If you have one that's 49" I think it will be perfect myself. Some people run narrower, but they look weird when you get the front up and go narrower. I'm running a stock width Econoline axle in my '63 Falcon with 15x4.5" ET Classic spokes, and 185-15 tires. It's right at the edge of the wheelwell, and the sidewall of the tires actually hangs out past the fender. Probably should have cut the axle 2"-3" prior to putting it in.
    This was a mockup picture, with front fender just hanging there to judge the width then:
    [​IMG]
    Those don't look like Econoline backing plates to me. Bolt pattern on the wheel cylinders looks too narrow. Raised area on the backing plate looks different also.