Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What where street/strip cars in the 60's running for rubber???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hey all, just bored and looking for a different look for my Ranchero....I just built a motor for it, and it should be a nice, stout little thing, and make o.k. power, with a fair idle, and lots of low-end. Mild, but, it is a small-cube motor, and it should lope a bit with the cam I have chosen. I have decided to dress it like an early 289, and, since it is more likely as a late 60's mill, and the car is not scheduled for paint/body anytime soon, do to other projects taking priority, I think it will present better as a hot rod for now in it's current condition, than a mild custom, as it was originally going in the direction of...I'm a mechanic, not a body guy, so, I really have no business in a custom anyway! I've decided I'd better start playing to my strengths...) At any rate, If I do this, I'm removing the 3" blocks from the rear, and I will be wrapping some blackwalls on my chrome steel wheels. My question is: What tires look right for the time period, and will fit in the rear wheel house, without cutting it????
    It strikes me that the Wide-oval, or the Pro-Trac tire might be a bit late ( 70's???) but, I like the profile of the Pro-trac....What about M/T Indy's??? What else was going on then, and are they reproduced?
    Thanks for any insight...
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. I ran 9" Cassler " cheaters " on the street, at Great Lakes Dragway I'd run Milford ( I think that's the correct name ) slicks. 1957 Chevy 210 2 door Hdtp. 348 w/ 3 Rochesters and a Muncie 4 speed. Perfection gear 4:11 rear end, ran pretty consistent mid 12s at 103 - 108 MPH. Hooked up pretty good for back then ( 1964-1965. I doubt those tires are around anywhere anymore.

3. FEDER

FEDER

Talk to Cody at Hurst tires. Family owned and great people. Fed

4. hellerods

hellerods

in 1969 I ran GT Qualifiers (Dunlop) white letters on the street and just lowered the tire presure (18-20 lbs) and they hooked very hard for a mild street car (69' Firebird TA)

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Firestone 500's and Casler Cheaters.

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Casler cheaters hands down

7. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

cody at hurst tires will fix you up

Attached Files:

8. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Be careful what you buy. Hardly any room for tires under there. I cut mine yrs ago.

9. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I like the Supercushion fronts...good looking tire, and the recap Casler-type....I've been a little leery about the radial casing/recap thing though. Hmmm...we'll see...lots of $$$ for those supercushion fronts. Ouch...
    So folks were still using hard compounds/pie crusts in the lowly street car/hot rod dept. in the mid to late 60's, eh???
    Thanks for the replies!

10. buckd

buckd

I built and drove a 55 Chevy street gasser In 64 and ran Casler 9" cheaters. I think Hurst makes the closest thing to that nowadays. But I'll tell you those tires could put quite a bit of horsepower to the ground, they had a great compound!

11. TomWar

TomWar

Wide oval's were available in the mid 60's.
    Just Sayin.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

i had US Royal Masters on my 55 BA post/389 in 1963 and put on a pair of Atlas Bucrons for drag nights out by the dam. Also had a pair of M&H slicks for my 26 bucket/301/pg

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Eliminator tires-red line- is what a bunch of us ran in the northeast.

14. Larry T

Larry T

A couple of the fast street guys around here ran Thompson cheater slicks with the crossed flag tread pattern.
    Larry T

15. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

"....I've been a little leery about the radial casing/recap thing though. "

Don't be - I drove the hell out of a set of Cody's recaps. I was concerned at first, but after beating them up for a while, no worries. I wore 'em out and had a lot of fun doing it. I went to a different look (see avatar).
    Next 60's streetrace inspired car I do will have a set. Post pics!

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

On my cars in the early sixties ran Atlas Bucron tires both for street and strip.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Drag slicks ..... I ran M&H slicks on my '57 Chevy in '70 :)

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I bought another set of wheels and had Thompson cross bar slicks mounted on those. I'd throw them in the truck and take them to the strip. When I weighed (it was a cubic inches/power/weight formula in those days) I' open it up throw them out and weigh in. In the pits I changed out the tires. I had a foot type air pump with a decent tire pressure gauge too. That was in 1958,59 and 60.
    Normbc9

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Something like these. Just put a pair of Hurst cheaters on the back of my 55. Just ignore the front tires, though. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Cheater slicks on back, VW tires on front

21. I was running M&H street n strip tires on my 55, but this was very early 70's........

[​IMG]

or you can go with the tried and true J 60 or L 60 street tires.

[​IMG]

22. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Thanks guys! The pics help, too....this is the look/feel I'm going for, but, it seems like it's hard to find many options for a front and not too easy to settle on a treaded tire for the rear that I like, either. Kind of caught btwn. era's, and streetability, and load capability, too.