Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the WEST COAST RACING ASSOCIATION in 1953?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R33CHEBY, Feb 23, 2010.

1. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

I have a tie-on arm band style patch, that is white felt with red stiching. It says WEST COAST RACING ASSOCIATION 1953 OFFICIAL. It looks like something an official would tie on his arm the day of the races. I haven't found anything on the internet. My grandfather that raced jalopies , and midgets in the mid 50's in So Cal, didn't know either. I was hoping to get some info on the patch.

Attached Files:

• WCRA.jpg
      WCRA.jpg
      File size:
      346.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. toml24

toml24

I have a close match of the West Coast Jalopy Association at Carrell Speedway Gardena, CA in 1950. My gut feelings is the WCRA was something other than jalopies and perhaps was not around for very long. What was your uncles name? I can look through programs I have. Do you have jalopy photos? I very much would like to see the patch.
    Tom

3. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

My Grandfathers name is Frank Melton. He raced between 55-57 I belive at Gardena, CA. He talked about Parnelli Jones as if he knew him well. Here are some pics FROM '56-'57

As far as I could come up with on the WCRA in 1953, is there is a boating Association in Sarassota Florida, that has races dating back to 1931. There were a few news paper articals about car races in florida in the mid 40's bein sponsered by the WCRA, but nothing in 50's.

Attached Files:

4. toml24

toml24

Your good photos are of Saturday nights at Orange Show Stadium in San Bernardino, CA., therefore he was a member of the Circle City Racing Association (CCRA), which was around until the end of the 1958 racing season when the CCRA merged into the California Jalopy Association (CJA) of Los Angeles. Do you have anymore photos, such as Gardena? (Sunday afternoons)

5. k9racer

k9racer

Just a small thing to tell about thoml24 he is the expert on calif jalopy racing. I purchased his book and could not put it down. I own about every published book on early racing and his is the best. well written and lots and lots of very good photos... Bobby..

6. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

I had my grandmother scaned these for me a few years ago. I'll see if she can scan some more for me. They live in Bend Oregon now. My grandfathers memory isn't what it was, and not sure if his stories are "whole truths". Here are a few more she sent me.
    The WCRA arm band I got at a garage sale, not from my grandfather. That is why i wanted to get info. on it.

Attached Files:

7. toml24

toml24

Your next batch of photos are of Legion Ascot, unknown year.
    Tom

8. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

The Ascot Pics. were of my grandfathers uncle Lloyd Moore, and his son, who used to driver the race car to the track (before they had trailers). The drivers name was Chris Vest.

9. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

Tom, Here are some more from Orange Statium. My Grandparents don't know these people other than Bob Forrester (spelling?), Jack Kelly, and Gene Wood. They say, Gene lost his arm when he decided to transfer from one car's running board to another car's running board while the cars were racing in opposite directions. He became an ace mechanic.

Attached Files:

10. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

R33CHEBY, here's some commentary on your grandfather's photo of his uncle Lloyd Moore's #18, his son and their driver Chris Vest.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/16916823252/
    From Michael Ferner

#18 Moore/#18 Edwards

Very little information on this one: possibly built in 1931 by one L. W. Moore who is, to the best of my knowledge, no relation to Lou Moore, the driver and later team owner. Drivers included Speed Hinkley, Charley Gelston, Jimmy Sharp (?), Chris Vest and George Connor. Some time in late summer, the car was apparently purchased by Jack R. Edwards from Upland (CA), who may have run it until 1935 with drivers like Tommy Cosman, Russ del Dotto and Bob Gragg. I lack enough pictures to document this one properly, a recurring theme with some of these lesser cars as we move towards the “dark side of the grid”…