Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the name of your 1/4 mile when cruising?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jun 23, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

When cruising Main Street in Longmont, Colorado in the late 80's and early 90's, all of the kids would go a mile or so out of town to drag race. The stretch of road went through farm country. All of the kids called the place "The Dog Pound"
    Pull up to a stop light next to another beefy car, rev it a couple times and then yell out to the other guy...."Let's meet at Dog Pound!"

No cops around......dead quiet.....no lights......couple houses off in the distance.

I never drove a car there, but was a passenger a few time. Good memories. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. the best place we used to have was the port of wilmington, de. or just "the port". not sure if anybody goes up there or not anymore.
    we also had a good spot on otts chapel road, in newark, de.
    but, the kids in their buzz bombs ruined all the good spots. i'm pretty much against street racing these days. it took totaling one of my cars to teach me the lesson, but i learned it.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"little Fremont" ... it was a couple blocks from Fremont Dragstrip.

4. Airport Road, Hoquaim WA

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Holly Hall in Houston, then Rankin Rd, later-on. DD

6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Kendall Drive in Berdoo. Greenspot Road N/E of Redlands. Bryant Street in Yucaipa.

7. KEITHMAN

KEITHMAN

Bailey Ave., south San Jose, CA.

8. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

NABISCO Factory in Buena Park, this was back in the 80's when I was running a lil VW

9. Hyndsver Road. 1320 measured out & marked on a country road.

Usually got shortened to just "Hyndsver" though.

JH

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You always have some weird threads Baileigh Inc...but I like them!

Not sure of the one where I live now but when my father was a young lad it was...

Ohio Street in Buffalo, NY

11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Corwin rd. Apple Valley, Ca

12. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

We had a few, Distributers Row, Ames BLVd, Sams Ave, Earhart Blvd, Paris rd, Alminaster BLVD, River road. No one races there any more to many rice burners show up. And the police park there at night now. we use to bounce from one spot to the next all night.Guys would bring cars out on trailers.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hall Road
    and Detroit Dragway

14. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

In New Jersey it was the Stickle Bridge. Insanity!

15. Executive Ave. which was in a warehouse complex that was under construction in the early 80's. Back then there was only a couple warehouses there but now there must be dozens. It was great while it lasted.

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

In Seattle it was the floating bridge tunnels or Airport Way, (no side streets in those days)
    or the top deck of the Alaska Way viaduct when it was under construction or Gilman past the GN roundhouse or Golden Gardens..There were more but those were the main ones in the mid 50's.

17. We used to go to an Auxiliary Air Strip built during WWII after Club meetings on Wednesday night. All interested parties were welcome, you didn't have to be a member of the NOMADS car club. It was 8 miles west of town, cars would line up and shine their lights and we would then 'run what we brung'. No one was ever hurt, we had a lot of fun. We did have someone turn us in every once in awhile, for the noise interfered with the sleep of a few farmers. That Strip is still there, and is known as M.A.D. (Mid-America-Drag Strip) which still operates today in a legal way.
    firstnomad

18. bobscogin

bobscogin

Ever go across the lake to Slidell back in the mid 60's and race on Interstate 10? We used to race between the LA 433 and US Hwy 190 exits. There was no traffic at all, and very few cops.

Bob

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

1966 to 1969 ,,The "Bird House Hwy" marked off a 1/4 mile ,,just North of Anchorage ,Alaska ,,there was a log cabin bar at the start line called that,,a "Earth Cabin" ,just across from the turrest observation parking lot overlooking the ocean ,,you went thru the windows to get into the "Bird House Bar" ,,,peanut shells on the floor and the bar was angled so if you sat at the end ,the bartender could slide your beer to you ,,
    the parking lot would hold about 50 or more cars ,,it was "Choose Your Poison" ,,"Run Whatchu Brung" ,,everything from tri 5 gassers to MOPAR Hemi cars to Big Block Chevys & Fords to Street Rods ,,,you picked the guy you wanted to race ,started around mid-nite and lasted ALL nite ,,many times i got home just in time to take a shower ,,change clothes and get to work at 7;00 am ,, ,
    raced my '64 tri-power GTO ,then my '66 GTO ,,then my '69 SS396 Chevelle ,,it was a great time in my life ,,,wish i could go back n do it all over again ,,,ya right ,,but hey ,,i can drean RIGHT >????lol,lol,

20. wheeliE-maxx

wheeliE-maxx
    from Texas

Can't say because I still use it.. A couple miles long, wide, no sidestreets, and noone is ever on it

21. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

street raced in the late sixty's,Metro Airport was expandind their facility and had closed a section of NORTHLINE RD.Raced there every Fri.& Sat. nite til bad accident happened.Then it went to Telegraph and on weekends we would venture up to WOODWARD.Muscle Car mania was all over DETROIT.Saw many SUPER FAST CARS,including the SILVER BULLET.

22. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Oh ,,the bars in Alaska never closed ,,the "Bird House Bar" was open 24 hours a day ,,7 days a week ,,yes ,,we drank ALOT back then ,,the bar was also close , and on the way up the mountain , to Alyeska Ski Resort ,,that was were all the Airline Stewredesses went on their times off ,,every Airline in the Free World went thru Anchorage ,,made it really interesting ,,

23. Man we had a ton of street racing going on in the Baltimore-Washington area in the late 70's up until the late 90's. You could find a race or two pretty much any day of the week.

Here's a few of them of them, there was no other explanation needed because everyone knew where you were talking about;
    - Dog Patch
    - Metro
    - Waysons
    - The Industrial Park
    - 424 or The Park and Ride (same place)
    - V Street
    - The Circle
    - Central Avenue
    - Route 2

. . . I told you there were a "few" :D, I'll think of more because I know I'm forgetting some.

24. Labold

Labold

Here in Bowling Green we used to use Scottsville road to race on.
    It was wide, smooth, and right in the middle of town.

25. Three Twenty!

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trolley Blvd. in Gates, NY (outside of Rochester).
    As I recall, we called it the "The Stretch".

27. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

"College road" that ran near U of M in Dearborn MI. in the 60's. You could hear the open headers from my parents house in Detroit.

28. Red Rock Red Rock Red Rock.........road......yes Mrs. Torrence.....Down by the river,south of St.Paul.North of South St.Paul.Yep,right in there.Kind'a more for test and tune.

29. yogel

yogel

Allumuchy flats and Rt 24 then 57 "lets run down by the orange pit" If ya live or ever lived near there ya know!

30. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Johnston 2 Lane on Fri & Sat nites , ,,in the early '70's ,,after i'd moved back to Des Moines from Alaska,,,,i did more street racing in the '60's & '70's than actual sanctioned drag strip racin' ,,AND ,,,now ,,at 67 years old ,,I still do ,,
    just the other day ,here in So Missouri ,,,I raced a Nisson twin tubo 300 ZX across the Table Rock Lake Bridge ( the only mile long straight stretch of hi-way around here ) ,with my '27 T w; the 6;71 blown SB ,,,,for the 2nd time ,,ran him last year and beat him by 5 or 6 car lengths ,,did it again ,,he's a senior in hi school here ,,but his Dad built and gave him the car ,they both are pissed ,,,love runnin' these kids in their junk ricers,,