Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures What was the cheapest cool thing you’ve ever gotten?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flogknaw, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got this 21 stud with three speed, drive line and torque tube for 350 bucks

Attached Files:

2. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

My ‘57 Chevy pickup for $50 in 1979. Followed up by a ‘58 283 for $100 a year or so later.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mad mikey, swade41 and Deuces like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

6E24F8B5-9423-4AAD-B217-69CF09D28723.jpeg Years ago, I bought a 1936 Ford truck for $25, but the deal was I had to take the car next to it also..... it was a ‘50 Mercury club coupe. Still have both.

Was at a repair shop in town , looked down saw a 9 inch pumpkin with bad gears. Asked about it, the owner said it’s junk, I asked how much? He said I could have it, to get it out of his way.... loaded an N case traction lock into my truck for free.

1956 Ford PU $100

Bones

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    alanp561, nochop, mkebaird and 4 others like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as a senior in High School (1978) I bought a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge with a Ram Air III and 4 speed for $300.00. it wasn't the prettiest car in town but it ran like a M-Fer. I went to look at it even though I wanted to get a 64 GTO, I forget the original asking price but the guy screamed "how about $300.00" as I was leaving to get in my car after looking it over.

said he had a ton of tickets and ran from the cops and got caught and wrecked it as well. said the car was bad luck and it had to go. I saw it at the Turlock swap 10 years ago with an asking price of $12,000.00 looking pretty much as it did when I sold it.

slowmotion, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

5 bux for a 53 Caddy Air Cleaner off a stocker 53 Caddy that just came into the junkyard that day. Nope, the yard just would not sell the complete car and the rest went to the crusher. This was about 5 yrs ago.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  6. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Bought 1969 Caprice with good large journal 327 that had been parked in barn for 15 years and never been apart for $200. Pulled motor and sold rest of car for $200. Free 327!

mgtstumpy, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  7. Gabby

Gabby

1969 Z28 intake for $25

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Way better than the L-79 intake.... Good for another 10-15 ponies... ;)

mad mikey likes this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

It’s not always the power, sometimes it’s the look, or even just what something takes you back to mentally.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16 drawer MAC tool cart with every door full of S-K, MAC, and other brand name automotive tools in excellent condition for $500, delivered to my shop.

11. I was rummaging around through a junk pile in the basement at a thrift store and spotted a set of Fenton dual exhaust manifolds, got them for ten bucks.

12. $100 bucks, running driving 1970 chevelle, buckets/console, 12 bolt, sbc Screenshot_20180804-234406_Photobucket.jpg

$300 bucks running driving 1968 firebird convertible, put it on Ebay and made a few grand on this one

20181115_072118.jpg

I've gotten a few good deals over time, never by swindling someone but just by keeping an eye out.
    Last year I witnessed my friend buy a complete sbc 4-71, Cragar intake/drive, 2 port hilborn, scoop, pump, mag, the works for $250 but the guy was only asking $100 bucks !

13. Was given this chevy for fabricating a bracket to mount a GM one wire alternator on a buddies 50 Dodge 6 cylinder. vic54150sedan2dorgreen.jpg

14. Stopped at a garage sale in Coffeyville, KS and the guy noticed the Hot Rod and asked if I was looking for anything in particular. I said, "Do you have any old car parts?" He replied, "Just that old horn ring and a hood ornament." How much? He said, "Oh, just a dollar apiece."

Tried not to tear a hole in my pocket! The horn ring was a 50th Anniversary 1953 Ford and the hood ornament was a 1955 T-Bird and looked like brand new. Took them to a swap meet and sold them for a buck and a quarter. ($125)

mad mikey and chevy57dude like this.
  15. I got paid $200 bucks to remove some old model a parts from a property once..in the stash was a model A police head.

Or

Last year i bought a guys lifetime collection. Place was a mess... Could hardly tell what was in the place but I could see 6 ohv conversions for early fords, and other goodies. So I knew I'd do okay. Pulled a 32 ford roadster(dissassembled) out of there and 2 pines I didnt know were there when I bought the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. clem

clem

And I thought that I was doing well to buy a ‘32 hood, no side panels, for $15 about that time.......

17. 327Eric

327Eric

If I didn't get it for fractions of a penny on the dollar, or free, I could not afford it. Got a virgin 327 cast in November 61, with flywheel and bellhousing free and delivered, F1 fenders off the side of the road, sold for 100 bucks the next day, a running 65 413, air cleaner to pan with trans for 100 bucks, sbc tri,power, complete and functional for 150, Pontiac tripower, 10 bucks, 428 Pontiac, 50 bucks, all in the last few years

mgtstumpy, chevy57dude and mad mikey like this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

One inexpensive thing I did was Way Back when my kids wanted 1/64 Hot Wheels cars, when I bought some for them I said, hey these are pretty Kool, bought some for me and the collection started, then 1/18, 1/24, 1/43 die cast came, so after about 40 years, I have quite the collection, cars/racing cars/hot rods/kustoms displayed, another thing I have, enjoy and now beginning to wonder what am I going to do with it.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

1970 mach 1 for $67 in 1992. Guy started restoring it, got a divorce, wife had it hauled off, but it was hauled to the crusher, not a salvage yard. I got word from a friend and bought it for scrap weight price, title and paperwork was in the glove box.

swade41, mgtstumpy and mad mikey like this.
  20. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Had a couple good deals on old trucks, a 50 chevy pickup for $50 and and a 48 ford pickup for $75.off topic deal, was dumping a load of short steel at a junkyard and noticed something with fins on it, rolled it over and it was a 1909 Harley single. I give the scrap guy $10 for it.sold it on eBay for a little more

21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Three Nicson Air Breathers....$100.00 DSCN0695.JPG

swade41, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  22. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

After much thinking(that can be dangerous)no doubt the best deal I have ever got is the 26 coupe I have now. I bought it at a very low price(my wife jewed the sellers price way down and she knows nothing about hot rods)and the deal got better after I paid for it!. A few weeks later I discovered the coupe was a magazine feature car(RodActionMagazine,July 1985 pg 26...……..

mad mikey likes this.
  23. Well, if we are going way back to the 70s then there are a lot of deals that would be considered cheap now. I used to be into FE Fords back then. Bought a complete factory 3X2 setup for $35, another was $25, and another aftermarket setup with old Holly carbs for $50. Got a 428 Police Interceptor intake for $35 (best intake I ever used). Bought a complete R code 427 top oiler minus intake for $300. But I was in the service then and that was a month's pay so it wasn't really cheap at the time, all things are relevant.
    Was given a 26 Model T coupe body, really rusty so I also gave it away, bought another for $35, sold it for $75.

mgtstumpy, mountainman2 and mad mikey like this.
  24. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Stopped at a friend's place, known for year's, Just never visited his place, barn/shop out back over grown around two sides.... Couple refreshments shoot'n the $#!+, While later walk around the back ta shake the dew off the Lilly, There it was 39 Chev cab/chassis no engine, but the perfect lawn ornament for my stone building built in 1881, Ask Dude What he's doing with it, Said bought it running/driving for 400., Sold the engine to a fire co. Restoring one for a grand, sold the bed for 400., Didn't have the heart to scrap it, an way more than I can redo, Told him I wanted it.. It's Your 's! Towed it to my shop Down the road, couple weeks later a crusty ol bastard stopped by asked me if I knew the story on the truck? Na I just got it from Chet... He tells me he put the tire's on it when he was a kid(dad owned the tire shop) An the guy that bought it brand New in 1939, Had just bought my Shop(cold storage) hence why he needed a truck! Looked on my deed just to see...Sure enough it all ligned up!

The Manley wrecker was another you move it, It's Yours... KIMG3763.JPG KIMG3764.JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    deathrowdave, egads, swade41 and 5 others like this.
  25. 3spd

3spd

Bought big-ol rusty Craftsman top box at an estate sale that had been sitting under a table in a carport for what looked like many years. I barely even saw it hiding under there, asked the guy manning the till he said $1. I didn't even open it and just loaded it in my truck and it was HEAVY. Lots of junk like we all have rolling in our tool boxes but also quite a few old scrip Snap-On tools including a 3/8 breaker bar and nearly a full set of swivel impact sockets, 4 big old Crescent brand adjustable wrenches, a bunch of good quality screwdrivers, and a couple loose ball peen hammer heads. Some of my favorite tools came out of that box.

nochop and mad mikey like this.
  26. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Back in 78 I bought a 34 Ford 5 window coupe for $2000. It came with a 4 door parts car. My piggy bank was pretty dry so I had to sell off a lot of the extras at a give away price. Initial cost was down to $700. Took a few years but the coupe got on the road and is still taking me many places.

Mtn Goat, swade41, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  27. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Lol t ten four speed for forty five bucks

mad mikey likes this.
  28. GMC Blower
    454 BB Engine from an 80’s Chevy dump truck.
    Turns over still but needs freshening.
    My best friend was moving.
    Sold his hot rod Model A and BB powered pick up.
    “Here take them I no longer need them”
    FREE
    He went MoPar this time.[​IMG]

29. My free, take it I don’t need it GMC 671 blower.[​IMG]

swade41, Flogknaw, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  30. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 6-years I got a Buick 2x4 intake for $75.00 at a garage sale anjd got $525 for it on Ebay. Same sale I scored a rear fender for my '36 for $100.

mgtstumpy likes this.