Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the biggest 'find' you let get away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK

I've said it before on a similar thread my great grandmothers 54 chevy 2dr sedan solid under a shed for years, free- took the rusted out 72 chevy truck in the feild lost my ass on parts and time- shoot me in the face

2. Around 1988 found a legit '71 GTO Judge hardtop on a used car lot - one of 357 produced - 455 H.O., auto. Like many on here, at $3995 (Canadian!) it may as well have been a million. I was big into GTO's at the time . . .

Recently (like 6 weeks ago) I missed a deal that was not at all my fault - found a real diamond in the rough on eBay but it was 2500 miles away so I needed to do some thinking - finally decided to try to win it. I waited until the last minute to bid only to discover that the seller had set up the auction so that foreign bidders could not even enter a bid! It was a '32 Ford big truck - like 1 1/2 ton or bigger but it had a roadster truck cowl and dash with no doors or rear panel - probably a firetruck or something. Had repairable front fenders and the kicker - a fixable 25 louver hood! Before the auction ended I had already made arrangements to fly into Raleigh, NC (it was about 40 miles outside), rent a U Haul pickup, drive to Home Depot and buy materials and rent tools to build a crate, drive out and disassemble the truck (packing what I wanted into the crate), had a rollback arranged to pickup the rest of the chassis, even contacted a local metal scrap yard to take the carcass. Drop the crate at my pre-arranged trucking depot, stay over one night and fly home the next day. Would have been a deal at 20 times the price . . . are you ready . . .

$400 :(

Steve

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Don't know if I can call it the "biggest", but it was a '62 VW bug for $200 in the summer of '67. Could'a drove it home and been as happy as a bug owner could be. Instead I bought a '56 Fairlane for $175. Doh!!! Still got the Ford, the Vdub has probly long since gone to bug heaven.

4. Years ago I had a hankering for a Topolino street gasser. I found a body for sale, went to look at it. It was a steel body with doors tack-welded closed and was a former drag car. It and a truck 9-inch rear for $600. Dummy didn't bite.

5. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

1976. 1500 bucks for a '60's Mercedes 300 Gull Wing in nice condition. I passed 'cause it didn't look like good hot rod material (wasn't an early Ford)!

Rich

6. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

1979...33 ford 3 window lakes highboy, flathead blown up.$1600.00...Chose to finish something else with the money. By far my dumbest decision.

7. brandon

brandon

68 hemi dart roller for 3000 back in 97.....at the time it was in a bunch of pieces and the owner couldn't verify it was a true hemi dart or provide proper paperwork...car had been tubbed but still had a few of the tell tale parts on it... car has been completely redone and "untubbed" .... not sure if he's had it out yet or not...its probably stashed with the rest of his other hemi stuff....:D brandon

8. in '71 a co worker was just married with baby on the way and needed cash fast, offered me his '67 427-4speed Corvette coupe for $2700, I had just bought a '71 Vega panel and didn't have any cash.........shit

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

how a stock fine looking 64 plmouth 2door 413 max wedge with 4 speed i thought $500 was to much money it was 1978 cause gas was high at 65 cents a gallon

just f$%%&/ shoot me for doing somethin so stupid

10. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

About 5 years ago a friend called me and said that he had found a 70 Mustang sitting in one of his customer's warehouses. He said that it was something called a "Boss 302" and the odometer read 28,000 miles. He said that the old man would sell him the car for 8,500.00 and that he would then pass it on to me for 9,000. At the time, I couldn't come up with the funds so my friend bought the car and cleaned it up. He managed to trace the numbers back to the original owner. After he had the car for about a month, he decided to call the guy and see if he wanted his old car back. The guy was there the next day with his trailer and bought the car back for 25,000.

This is not the worst story.

A few years ago, I non car guy that I work with asked me if I wanted 4 old Jaguars sitting in his neighbor's back yard. The lady living there was moving across the country to live with her son and needed someone to take the cars away and clean up the back yard.

During my lunchbreak I drove over to the house and went into the backyard.

The 4 cars were:

1949 Jaguar XK 120 - Racer (extremely rare)
    1949 XK 120 Roadster
    1960 XK- Roadster
    1980 Something Sedan

I called the lady that afternoon and talked to her about the cars and she said that she just needed them gone because the house had already been sold and the people were moving in a week later.

Here is were I probably made my first mistake. I said that I would be glad to remove them for her, but that I would pay her 4,500 for the cars.

At that point, she said "well I'd better talk to my son first"

I knew that was probably the door slaming shut on the deal.

I waited for another week but never heard anything back, so I called her back.

She told me that her son had sold the cars to someone else for an undisclosed amount of cash.

11. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

Eight or nine years ago, 1932 Plymouth 4dr, turbo charged slant six, done rod original paint and interior, car ran like a raped ape, $2500.00. Who wanted a Plymouth, DUH!

12. patman

patman

Update: This thread got me thinking, so I threw the VIN into google the other day...and got a hit. Turns out his old car is currently up for sale. Only $50K... :mad::mad::mad:

13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Ok, but it still hurts thinkin' about it.
    I'm a HVAC contractor. About 8 years ago, one of my regular customers called me for service. I asked how the Doc was doing- she said he passed away several months ago. I'm in the garage working on the furnace & she asks me if I'd be interested in the truck her husband was working on. I said I'd be happy to look it over. After I finished, I pulled the tarp off the truck & what do I see? A 57 Chevy big window. Bodywork is done, new oak bed kit in box & new, 9" Ford rear, no engine or trans, no glass, wiring, paint or upholstery. He had a Painless kit for it. I ask her how much. She says I can have it for free (clear title) if I can have it out by Sunday. I'm swamped at work so I ask her if I could come back in a few days on Saturday w/ a flatbed tow? No problem. She needs to move some stuff anyway so all is good.:rolleyes:
    I show up on Saturday to move stuff & prep the car for tow & it's gone! Seems she was a bit forgetful & sold it to the neighbor for $500.00!

14. My buddy now has two pair of Guide 682c's, I think I'm going to let go. But I sure tried to swap something for a set, even the pair with some rot in it. I never paid attention until seeing a pair in person and now I want them for my stash of stuff to build a car with.

15. Crease

Crease

Lotus Super 7 for $500.

16. Poking around a windy & hot Adelaide worksite in 1982 I grappled open the twisted door on a dark & dusty old stone barn.
    There in the relative cool sat a Chevrolet Sport Coupe / Cabriolet.
    The top was tall- it and the seat that I looked down upon were ratty & rotting but thier frames & bows were good. There was only a little surface rust. The car was the attractive 1927 vintage and I think it was Fisher, and not Holden, bodied. It was 99% complete.
    That night I studied-only sold in Australia in Light grey w/ dark red pinstripe. Yes ! (nice). I went back again next day- look at the 1963 regoplates and waterslide decal . The broken speedo glass. Five solid grey steel wheels with buggered tyres.The only obvious damage was to the speedo glass which sat cracked ahead of 63,000 miles.
    A 1929 radiator and 4 spare wheels were leaning on a wall with spider webs. Perhaps mechanical woes led to this entombment.
    No-one was ever around and I let it slide - Oh dear...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  17. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

1933 Ford Pick up cab, found out later it came with a miss matched title (1932 Roadster)

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Around 1981. '66 Vette roadster in pieces, but all there. It sold while I was trying to get the $2,000. Yea, $2,000. She haunts me.

19. the most amazing 5'10" red head, legs that went up an made an ass out of themselves, amongst other notable traits.

20. A 5'2" brunette angel with deep pockets who worshiped the ground I walked on.

.........and a '36 Phaeton that I missed by two weeks.

JH

21. 303racer

303racer

1971 original hemi cuda convertable, the motor was blown sitting in a corn crib for 10 year $6700 did not have the money and could not find any one to help me out with any ! man im pissed off every day i think about it

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  22. I was 15 and riding bikes with my buddy....came across a blue metallic 51 ford rag top parked on the shoulder with a hand written for sale sign in the window...$20 with a blown motor.
    It had white tuck and roll, dechromed, finned aluminum heads, dual intake etc.
    I tried to talk my dad into it but he wouldnt' budge.

23. I knew an old guy who had an old '32 5 window racecar. It was pretty decent. It was in the sticks and I thought it wouldn't be going anywhere, ever. I always kept tabs on it and kept in touch with the old guy, I finally made the call to go get it, he says "shit I just sold it, some guy named Bobby Green from LA is coming up this weekend to get it!":eek::rolleyes::D

-Shiny

24. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

1968 Charger RT 440 4 speed with Dana 60 rear. Year: 1976, price: $875 At the time, I was a senior in high school, and I didn't have the money and my dad would not buy it for me:mad:. Believe it or not, the car was real nice, sky blue with all white interior, ansen alum slots front and rear. My friend at the time bought it, cut a hole in the roof for one of those cheapy sun roofs:eek: and painted flames on it. He drove it into the ground and when he moved away, I lost track of it. Kurt

25. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

My Dad wouldn't let me buy a 40 ford yellow coupe( I was around 14)for $900. in the 60s.
    Bought a 53 F100 for $350. Sold it for $500. Small rust hole in rear fender, Flathead V-8 3speed. Drove ok. In the 70s

26. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I was 21. Young , stupid, didn't know what I wanted. I let the girl of my dreams slip through my fingers. . .

When I was 17-18, had the opportunity to get an all original 64" Chevelle Malibu. SS 327, four speed. Blue with white interior. They were only asking $1200 and just couldn't come up with the cash.

27. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

1971-ish...sitting in the front showroom at Specialized Auto Parts in Houston. '34 3-window coupe, chopped just right, beautifully finished body work in primer, sitting on a very nice frame. Non-finished, mind you, but had a modified flatty with old Ford drivetrain (top-shelf looking stuff) and decent, proper rubber on what I remember to be Kelseys........$1,500! PASADENAHOTROD...Can you possibly add any details or history? DD

28. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

in 1969 a 1957 Chevy 2 door with a 283 and a 3 speed on the column. Great shape all original $300.00 It was going to be my first car. My dad would not let me buy it, said it was 12 years old and would just be a lot of trouble. So instead he let me buy a 58 VW. I think he really was worried about how much trouble I would get into in the Chevy. I got into just as much in the VW!

29. paperboy49

paperboy49
    from Ohio

1955 Vincent......working on it right now, but I can feel it slipping. Knew the man that owned it but he passed a few months ago. His recluse son (70+ years old) is trying to work with me but I'm afraid the word will get out on this small 1/2 horse town find and I'll miss out.
    Looks new....sad,sad,sad....trying to get happy

30. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

The one that pisses me off and I still kick myself for almost ten years later was the one I HAD and should've KEPT. 1967 T-Bird Landau with a 390, ran and drove, immaculate interior, and the exterior could've been kept in original paint with a light scuff sanding and a shot of clearcoat. I got it for free, just for taking the time to knock on a door, had MAYBE $200 invested into it just to freshen up the fluids and happy parts, and sold it for $2700 two weeks later. Car was FLAWLESS except for the clearcoat that was dulled from being covered in pine straw, but all the trim was there, the vinyl Landau top looked like the day it was laid, even had the original floor mats and hub caps. Had I taken the time and done it up right (wouldn't have cost much, either) I could've gotten three times that (or more!) on the flip. Years later, a buddy of mine drives a '67 T-Bird and I fell in love with the car. In hindsight, I SHOULD have just kept it and restored it. I'd still have it today, but at the time I was 28 and saw a couple of bucks to be made for nothing. Dumbass.