Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What was I thinking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 26, 2017.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I done the interior in my 37 Chevy p/u in the late 90s the big thing was tweed and leather and was able to pick those materials up cheap so in it went and unfortunately still have some of that tweed that I might throw on the next bonfire,since those trucks all came with a dark brown interior I am going to do the seat dark brown with red inserts and bead to match the red on the truck. The material will be removed from the interior panels and they will be painted a dark brown wrinkle paint kind of like it did when it came from the factory,this time its going to get inside sunvisors that I think were not available in 37 or just not ordered but will be reproductions of the 39 to 46 style. Here is what I am starting with.

Attached Files:

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am thinking about doing it like the seats in my 55 sunliner but would like to look at some repro 50s cloth for the inserts. If I do it like the sunliner seat the pleats will be going the other way.

Attached Files:

dana barlow, Sum54ford and Fern 54 like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

In the 90s, the tweed stuff was the hot ticket, very few would have done an interior with a 50s theme, that would have been old fashioned.
    These days the old stuff is new again, and no one would do a tweed interior because its so out dated.
    Who knows, 30 years from now, the tweed stuff might be back in again.
    My mom always told me to hang onto the old stuff that goes out of fashion because at some time, it will be back in fashion. I got rid of that stuff anyway. Gene

modeleh, 41 C28, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  4. Thats not too bad. You should have seen the interior in my coupe in the 70s. It was bright red crushed velvet diamond tuft with buttons in the seams. It looked like a French whore house. Luckily, I have no photos of it.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to do something a little more period for that truck,I am going to order the brown and red vinyl early next week and start tearing the interior apart,I wish I could find a catalog of all the reproduction 50s and 60s cloth that is available but I do not think one is available but could call LeBarron Bonney and see what they have in red.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Go to your local upholstery shop and look in the old body cloth books. Mine go back to 55. Lots of it is still available for a cost. The main company that still has it is very slow in getting it shipped to you.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not think there is a shop around here that has any books that go back that far,the place I work at only goes back to 90 and I had a friend that had books back to the early 60s but left them in his shop when the bank took it back.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have extra books from 90 on back if your interested.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tweed interiors are about as obsolete as pastel paint jobs and graphics. I wouldn't waste my time time burning left over tweed. Just trash it.

Elcohaulic and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  10. I never did like the tweed interiors even when they were popular

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was just following a trend which I hope to never repeat.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Your split bottom truck seat factory? Ever thought about plaid? It would be interesting and I dont think its a trend rite now either unless you start it:D
    upload_2017-12-28_20-8-12.jpeg
    Look up plaid auto upholstery etc. for some pics, pretty cool and different with some class I think:cool:

Texas57, Fern 54, sko_ford and 5 others like this.
  13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Plaid is rad. I wanted a tweed interior so bad back in the 90's. But my dad talked me into cloth and 50's style on my 1956 chevy. This would have been '95. I really lucked out, I still did some other 90's stuff. Ratchet shifter, anodized shit on the engine, a few other things that have been changed. I did a design kinda like the sunliner, ive never regretted it. Do it.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the plaid and the split bottom is factory,I have to lift the pass side to put gas in it and will have to check out the fabric shops for plaid material. I will order the brown and red vinyl and look for plaid or 50s cloth for the inserts. Going to do hidden pleats like on my sunliner and I done them with cloth on a 66 caddy this past summer.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to Jo Ann fabrics this weekend to look at plaid and SMS has 415 pages of cloth to go through on the next rainy day.

16. Plaid interior was the 70s early 80s fad just like tweed was for the 90s. Tweed was sooooo much better than plaid. That's why everyone welcomed and wanted tweed. Don't you remember them interiors that were so busy they would vibrate or make you have anxiety issues?

17. There're 27,000 more and other variations of what the hell was I thinking .
    image.jpeg

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Your butt has to sit on it.Whatever you like should be the last call.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am leaning towards 50s cloth inserts.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Tweed is the the new plaid.
    Bad idea on both counts.
    Stick to original colors. Materials like leather or simulated would work too.

21. We actually considered plaid when we were planing the interior of the Ranch Wagon but when we rolled it out across the seat it was just too much.

With plaid less is the best way to go. HRP

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't think you can go wrong with solid colors. Plaids, flowers, printed graphics all go out of style in due time. A simple solid color or two contrasting colors is timeless, regardless of material. My Lincoln was done in gray vinyl with black or charcoal piping and sides. Someday I'd like to have it redone with some dark cloth inserts, maybe even a pleated pattern like the Sunliner. That vinyl gets hot on the ass in our summer temps after sitting in sun a while!

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Plaid sucks. Don't even think about it. I'd go with no interior before using plaid.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Dark brown vinyl with dark brown or red 50s cloth inserts with red bead,now to find the cloth I like. Some late 50s GMs had carpet with sparkles for that metalic look and would like to see if the cloth had it too and if it does then thats going to be the cloth I use.

25. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I never liked them either and I wouldn't even if they came back, I'm not always one to do the popular thing, just my own....

26. A nice purple paisley would look nice....:rolleyes:

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive seen good and bad examples of same style interiors, of different kinds. Some people with imagination have the ability to go the extra mile with a long shot idea and make it turn out great! Others may be better off settling with something plain and simple.???

Obviously plaid wouldnt be for everyone but "I" still like it if done tastefully in the rite vehicle.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  28. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

scotty t likes this.
  29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I just use black vinyl all the time. I like to drive and work on my cars, getting in and out with dirty clothes on.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I looked at around 100 of the 415 pages of cloth on the SMS website and have found some I like and found some 58 and 59 cloths I really like,I did not find anything that had the metallic look like the late 50s GM carpets. I am trying to avoid any material that has a big and wild patterns since I am going to make it where you can not see the threads in the pleats.