Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This one is SO awesome. I think it fits in right here on the HAMB perfectly!

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

This is the 70s built car I wish I would have saved more images of when I came across it on the internet...

[​IMG]

3. evil dead

evil dead
    from canada

That is one HARD channel... I love it, would love to see more too

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

70s or not they were pretty cool! A guy used to drive a shortened '57 Chevy through my neighborhood in Dededo, Guam in the late '60s & early '70s. Hell he may be one here and still have the car! Sounded real good and the story we heard was that he took a totaled 4 door and made the car. Better to save than scrap!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

And you actually let yourself be photographed next to it.....:eek::D

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Seriously, the travel trailer was way more of a chick magnet than the car.

7. This was actually built in the 50's, I almost traded my 32 Pickup for it in 1960.

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Puuleese... more info. on this car! I really dig it.
    I thought it was one of the "throwback" cars as porknbeaner had described.

9. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

We mighta' been listening to this on our 8-Tracks or Cassette players...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fBgyXXnbfBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Hotweel

Hotweel

Matchbook under the 8-track to keep the Frampton tape steady, big black comb, pair of wallabees, velocity stacks, Thrush pipes, let's go cruisin'.

11. my 46 sedan delivery. flat motor, 39 floor shift, 26 tooth zeypher gears. the only car I owned at the time

Attached Files:

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I am DIGGIN' the top one. Looks to be a desoto motor. I remember seeing the Model A pick-up around here when I was a young feller...

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This one has been a fixture on the local scene for decades. Pretty damn quick too...

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was thinking. I used to hit those pretty much every year. Long gone now. Rocky, were you living up here in the seventies?

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dont think I ever saw your Anglia back in the day, but I DID see this car a few times.

16. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

This is mine in the 70's USB pics 287.jpg

17. It is exactly one that I was thinking about.

Even though everyone thinks of resto rods and econo rods in the '70s there were a lot of cars running around that may have been considered to be not stylish at the time. That one there even though it is only a rear view is a beautiful car.

One of the things that I noticed in the '60s and '70s (probably happened in the '50s as well) was that a lot of older already built cars just got upgraded drivetrains, paint and or wheels and tires.

The T from the post above me here is a good example. Switch the exhaust and the rolling stock and it could easily be from an earlier era.

18. I don't think today's guys would bother, but they sure were different and fun to drive.

19. They actually coyuld be made quite drivable if you fiddled with the alerman a little bit and toyed with the toe settings until you got it right. The wheel base being shortened in effect moved the center forward and screwed up the akerman up. They also didn't like much toe out.

We took a 55 Ford ranch wagon that got bent and removed the doors. You used the rear sliding glass for a driver or passenger window and climbed in and out the tail gate. John law gave some problem on occaision stateing that it was required to have doors, the law didn't state that any car was required to have doors, so even though it was a real saftey issue for a street driven car there was nothing they could actually do.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There was a shortened '64 Chevy II wagon around here with a BB that was squirrelly, but wicked fast...

21. You know they they drove like they were on rails. I cut down 16 different cars starting in 1959. The trick was to lower them down on the deck and this lowered the center of gravity. It had no effect on the roll center because we didn't screw with the control arm height, angles, or the pivot placement. It did push the Ackerman center point aft of the rear end center whatever dimension the cars were shortened, but I never created a problem with them turning. Remember all these old cars are rear steer.
    Coming off the interstate exits I remember one time running away from a 1960 Corvette. I could hang it out just like I was dirt tracking it on asphalt. It wasn't uncommon to push them up over 100 MPH late at night out on the open road.
    One more thing, when I built and raced Super Modified race cars the Ackerman theory went right out the window. We ran the steering arms straight back (rear steer)and played with the length of each arm. We fabricated the left arm shorter than the right and when going into the left hand turns it pulls the car into the turn. When I say shorter it's only around 1/4", but it makes a difference.
    Sorry I didn't intend on getting off topic.

22. jimvette59

jimvette59

Built the 34 3 window coupe, my avitar. Payed 450.00 for the body and chassis.

23. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

thanks for the comment porknbeans,my tee was built in the early 70's down in New Zealand.Hotrodding was strong down there and still is

24. flathead okie

flathead okie

What would they say about a BMW ISETTA????

25. blackanglia

blackanglia

That shortened 56 Chevy sure was fun to drive. I have a picture of my brother and I drag racing in front of the house, me in the Anglia and my bro in the Chevy (my Mom took the picture) the 70's were great...man.

26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

What the hell is that thing?

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

28. CoupeDeVille62

CoupeDeVille62
    from Chicago

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED