Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuckin' A!! Memories.-MIKE:cool::p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. customcory

customcory

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Great stuff but I can honestly say, even then I hated to see a car with shackles.

4. Dizzie

Dizzie

Jack them up, put big meats on them and beat the crap out of them. I drove old stuff, but the guys that drove muscle cars drove them hard then sold them cheap. A friend who didn't work on his own cars, had a '66 Vette convert with a fresh rebuild 427 bent a pushrod and sold it for $1600. Those were the days.

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

L60-15's & 5.60-15's, chrome reverse wheels, cherry bombs, yellow traction bars, Thrush side pipes, leaf spring shackles, tie-dye shirts, air-shocks, obnoxious hood scoops, "paneled" paint jobs with lace, insurance a-holes, gas lines (part time jobs at gas stations just to have access to fuel), Hooker window decals, State Trooper cars with 440's that if you could outrun the radios were still quicker, VW beetles, 8-track players, reverb units. It was a different time (grin).

6. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Gawd, they all look like they're 4 wheel drive. :eek:

7. druids62

druids62

Man, that brought back some great memories!!! My car was no muscle car by any stretch of the imagination! I drove a 1967 plymouth Belvedere 2 door post. I had the world by the tail!!! Only ran a slant 6 with a column shift but it had those handy dandy air vents connected to a pull knob and controlled by the driver. At any speed on a summer day you could send your female passengers sundress over their head! I found this out truly by accident! Honest. Never had a single complaint and had a lot of giggles by all. Lets see your jacked up Chevelle do that! LOL

gotta56forme likes this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

As a kid I watched the transition from nose-high (early 60s) to ass-high (late 60s early 70s). By the time I was drivin' (71), if ya didn't have L-60s and High Jackers, ya weren't shit. Those were some damn ill handlin' rides, btw. After the gas crunch, I went from a jacked up 69 SS396, to a brand spankin' new 75 Vega GT wagon, self destructed within 3 yrs...what a piece of shit...
    Glad I don't remember most of those times..:rolleyes:

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were spared the gas lines out in the boonies; the crunch just made the muscle cars REALLY cheap. The parking lot in 1978 had: '70 428 drag pack Mach I, '70 440x6 GTX, '70 383 4 speed Roadrunner, '71 340 Demon, '70 Z/28, '68 396 Camaro, '70 or '71 455 Cutlass 442, '71 440 'Cuda and mind you this is in a town of 900 people, and they weren't "rich kids", hell most of them probably weren't even car guys.

10. Larry T

Larry T

I don't have many complaints about the 70's. But it didn't have much to do with traditional rodding. I guess the Anglia was nostalgic, but it was just an old racecar back then.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get that this is all OT, but I really like the shots from the NSRA shows in the early '70s that have been posted elsewhere. Lots of interesting "other makes" rods. Slots Rule!

12. Moose223

Moose223

Hey OLDCARFART, did that just roll out of your sub conscience! Well done!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

With a jacked up Chevelle, the clothes usually just fell off anyways, no need for forced air...LOL:D

14. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I can remember most of the 70s.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

55 Chevy, shackles, air shocks, yellow traction bars, 8 track and a big back seat to "party"...
    Had to exit that site though-was starting to have a flash back...

16. willywood

willywood
    from SoCal

Some of us were being born in the 70s. Got started when the neighbor let me take his 56 chevy down the strip in Long Beach. Never wanted too much plastic under the hood again.
    Like my neighbor, take a moment to share your passion with someone younger.

17. Born in '69 I didn't participate in the madness until the 80's, but my big brother had a big block powered '70 Fargo pickup and I remember cruising in that - the guys in the jacked up Chevelles hated getting beat from a stoplight by a pickup in three shades of primer!
    Lots of cars around our area I remember - a 70 340 Dart jacked up almost on a 45 degree angle with N-50s on the back on rusty cragars - rear end painted white with a red light mounted to it, header mufflers, Direct Connection 509 cam, Holley three barrel on it. Probably a 14 second car, but to an 8 year old car freak it looked like a space ship!
    Dusters, Demons, Cudas, Challengers, Chargers, Road Runners (there was a 68 Hemi Runner in town - was the car to beat I remember) Super Bees, R/Ts, GTXs - I guess there were a lot of Chevs and Fords too, but they don't stick in my memory as well.
    Neighbour of ours had a 69 Super Bee with a Sox and Martin scoop pop riveted on the hood - Came off on cold day at about 120 mph, he said he may have stained the white vinyl seat a bit.
    There was a 66 mustang fastback in town jacked up about a foot, front suspension topped out when it was sitting still - used to be fun watching it skip around on the road on curves with bumps when the tires unloaded. But he looked cool!

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

That is Brian"motherfuckin"Morris's blog, dude has an eye for kool like very few others, and knowledge to back it up.
    This is what he does, obviously also a really talented guy.
    http://www.ooo000ooo.com/

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

Im selling my 54 and buying a trans am...

20. I had a 340 Duster..shackled..the works..

I fell into the trap, and would like to tip my hat to those who kept the faith and preserved the traditional hot rod sub-culture.

21. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I still have two pairs " Made in the USA " from years back...Very cool thread. I just Time Warped

22. for some reason that site is taking a long time to load for me ill have to come back to it (im on lunch) but even though i was born in 70 i love cars from the seventies im building my mustang coupe to reflect that era

i had an old set of original purple hornies that a older friend had laying around on my 68 coronet in the early 90's

to the person who said they have gaberial hi-jackers in the box for sale on the first page if you still have them and IF they'll fit my car PM me im interested

23. Bad shifter,
    I appreciate the link friend.

I don't know who's site that is but ti did give me opportunity to see an old friend or two. Maybe on closer inspection there may be a shot of the 'beaner or two. But you would have to know where to look.

Been a little homesick lately, seeing old friends helps a bit.

Thanks

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I HATED wearing Converse High-tops (Chuck Taylors) during my days on the basketball court. Most uncomfortable damn shoes ever made. I still won't wear the damn things, no matter how cool you think they are.

When Nike started making shoes for the Oregon Ducks, now that was progress.

The Seventies were some great times. Simple and Stupid would describe it in my world.

25. i was still a kid but i remember seeing these cars and people around.... cool pics

26. awesome...thanks

27. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Too Cool!! Even though it is an off topic car I still miss my '70 Challenger........

Billy

28. I started building my cars in the late '70s, but I loved that era because I was a young guy without a care in the world. I didn't have to worry about job stress, paying bills, or house payments. All my money went into my cars. I had my cars jacked up in the rear, N-50s hanging out the fender lips, snorkle hoods, a Pioneer Supertuner cassette deck, and Jensen Triaxial speakers. We laugh now at the styles, but at the time, it WAS the style.

I loved the '80s, too. I started making more money, was in the Air Force, and on my own. Then, I slammed everything to the ground, shaved off everything that resembled a bolt-on, and painted everything monochromatic. We laugh at that look now, but back then, it WAS the style.

I didn't enjoy the '90s too much. Started a family, started working 70 hour workweeks, a 120 mile a day commute, and grew a hideous mullet. My projects sat in the garage and became storage units for all the crap the kid didn't want anymore but the wife refused to throw away for "sentimental" reasons. I read a lot of car magazines with the intent of getting back into hotrods as soon as everything "got back to normal". The '90s were a blur.....

Ah, the '2000s.....see above.

I'm finally back it, but sometimes, I wish it was the '70s again. Cruising Iroquois Park in Louisville in the '66 Chevelle with the Supertuner cranking out the first Van Halen album.......

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Man that brought back memmories, in the late seventies, I had a couple of models A´s and a 70 judge, man I scattered 5 engines in that G.T.O. drag racing it, yup square white letter tires, and hairy muffs, you could buy a driving model a hot rod for a couple grand, I think I paid 600 bucks for the G.T.O. from a used car dealer. good times and you could make a good living back then.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's why we get along so well! Well said! Still LOVE Van Halen's first album...

gotta56forme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.