Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harms Way

Harms Way

2. [​IMG]

Back when a "suitcase" didnt get you drunk!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool! I found a Detonator at a resale shop for $10. It came with Santana's "Abraxas".

I think I got a great deal. Most of my music collection is on vinyl. CD's suck for home listening.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

If I could only have one

[​IMG]

5. Dave Mason front row/left at the San Diego Sports Aroma 1979 ... my toe is still tappin!

6. We used to have guys in the Army that joined Tape Clubs (Columbia?) ... when they rotated back to states the tapes still kept coming ...... welp, yawl see where I am going here??

[​IMG]
    I had a little Muntz car eigth-track that I built into my storage cabinet

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool picture! Is that a Pantera?

8. Looks like a Cutlass

9. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Thanks OahuEli,

I'm afraid VirgilHilts is correct. It is a 69 Cutlass that my dad painted the lower body reveal (off white) and he added Hurst style stripes in (off white). The wheels were Cragar GT's I believe that he painted to match the car. People told him it looked great except the wheels. One guy mentioned that it looked like a circus wagon and my dad responded by saying, "Oh yeah.... well I didn't paint it for you".

I remember staying up late just to run outside when he came home from work so I could steer it down the driveway. He had to operate the pedals due to my then midget stature. When I was an infant and wouldn't sleep dad and mom used to place me in the back seat (dad made a bench covered in egg-crate foam to fill the void between the rear and front seats) and drive around in the country listening to Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon). Knocked me out every time. Before anyone asks or it is assumed, my dad didn't smoke grass or anything so it was the sound of the car and music that put me to sleep. LOL!

10. Hell I thought every one's dad smoked dope. My Ol' Man smoked dope clear back in the '50s when I was a little kid.

11. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

LOL! My dad said most of his friends got into it in the 50's but it wasn't his thing. He said he had no problem with it but it just wasn't something he found interesting. He liked his beer and stuck with that for many years before giving it up.

12. The Ol' Man listened to jazz most of the time. It was a common thing on nights when I couldn't sleep that he would light the henderson off and we would end up in a coffee house listening to jazz. By the time we got home I would be all tuckered out and usually wouldn't remember the last leg of the trip.

I worked second shift when mine was little, she would wake up when I got home and it was common for us to take a long ride if everyone in the house was out of patience. It didn't take the drone of the engine very long to put her away. She doesn't remember but she had lots of mid-night rides in the '56 Effie or wrapped up like a papoose and hung around my kneck for a mid night blast on the Harley.

Funny but we didn't see it necessary to have a back seat for kids back then.

Of all the foolshness and partying that happened for me in the '70s. '72 and 3 were the damned best years of that decade. Just me and kid in the middle if the night, and the road. Good times

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  13. Anderson

Anderson

I love this thread. Trying to get a jump on the craze...put the door handles back on the Olds, started changing the interior over to black....and put the air shocks on!
    [​IMG]

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

That Olds is sweet! Unclechet likey!

15. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

An old friend just sent this to me!!!

1979, muddy 10year old Mach 1, Marlboros, Miller beer, and that big ass belt buckle.. Being 17 was pretty cool:cool:

Attached Files:

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

NOW yer talkin!

17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Illegal Street Racing '77

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1FoaBIIrWhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. ..... proof that the higher the rearend the faster the car!!

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man I love this video! Brings back lots of memories (some kinda painful!) :D

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

One thing I remember, if you couldn't adjust your headlights high enough for proper beam distance the ass end was too high! lol

21. Deuces

Deuces

I think he jammed with the Spencer Davis Group and then "Traffic" back in the dayzzz.... :cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

We were all "Feeling Alright" eh? "Only you know and I know!" Gary

23. Deuces

Deuces

I'd give my left testicle to travel back in time...:eek:

24. Larry T

Larry T

Probably the same thing the "old guys" in the 70s were thinging. ;)
    Larry T

25. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Not necessarily,...I knew a good thing.

One of my favorite sayings to all my friends back then was;

"THESE are the good old days"

26. Muttley

Muttley

Too bad the same cant be said for the present. :(

27. Deuces

Deuces

Come 12/21/2012, we won't have to worry about it.. :eek:

28. trashn'l

trashn'l

Still listening to the same music and doing the same thing but with less partying and hair and a little more belly!

[​IMG]

And so is my son.

[​IMG]

29. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hahaha,great thread...Good Times.

[​IMG]

30. dmikulec

dmikulec

Good answer! Just what I was thinking. Great thread too btw. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.