Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What unusual ways have you transported car parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. The guy who bought my 55 GMC showed up with a really solid cab and Pontiac mill from a grain truck he got out in the panhandle. It was on his trailer. We used the front loader of a tractor to place the 347 engine in the rear of his suburban. Then set the cab on the bed of the GMC and drove it on the trailer. He was headed to Milwalkie? He probably made it? 55 GMC sold 003.JPG 55 GMC sold 002.JPG

OahuEli and HotRod Jones like this.
  2. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

In 1969 a buddy and I bought a 27 ford coupe body(only one door)and chassis (no engine) for $25....tied the body to the top of a 61 Falcon wagon and slid the chassis in the back of the car..and.drove it back to SoCal from Grants Pass Oregon.
    Sold it for $75 . Thought we did great!

3. In 64 I bought a 327 for $50.05 . ( don’t ask ) It was about 7 blocks from my folks home . I put it on my wood skateboard and off we went . 2 hours later and one broke toe I made it . Building my first car .
    Blue

4. sport fury

sport fury

At the 1997 street rod national in Oklahoma City I bought Weiand WC245 4X2 hemi intake (at the swap meet for $250) I did not have time to ship it back to Minneapolis so I found a box behind a grocery store and packed it up as carry on luggage on the airplane ride home. it was questioned during the x-raying of the box. the guy asked if it was a cylinder head. I said it was a aluminum intake manifold. he said okay and let me on my way. I placed it in the over head compartment.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

The late "Slam'n Sammy" Miller was a funny car racer here in Jersey. Once,he grenaded a Lenco 2-speed transmission so bad the most expedient fix was just buy a whole new one but he needed it for a race the next day. So,he bought it a commercial airline seat from San Diego to Newark.

6. Back in the 1970s, the airline I flew for, had a scheduled service into Hong Kong. A person bought a first class ticket, approximately $7,000 back then, for a ticket to transport a viola from Hong Kong to Vancouver. The story we heard was, that the instrument had to be here for a concert somewhere in North America.
    Bob

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This thread brought back some funny memories, probably my most memorable was having the hood come open at 60 mph on my '70 SS Chevelle. Passenger side hinge ripped out and the hood folded over the left side, blocking my door so I couldn't open it once I got the car stopped. Did a "Skidmarks in the Skivvies" check and crawled out the passenger side, unbolted the hood and hung it over the guardrail, the bent corner making a "hook", then continued on home. Couldn't borrow a truck to pick it up so the next day on the way home from work I stopped by, rolled down the passenger side windows and stuck the hood in as far as I could and still drive. Wish I had a picture.
    One other thing, the night the hood came open it snowed, the next morning the 402 big block had about an inch of snow on it and still fired right up.:cool:

8. Picked up a rear axle for my Ford F-350 Crew cab dually yesterday .....

Hauled it in a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Took (5) guys to unload it by hand.

Jim

9DF0F9F6-20A8-4D66-8219-4A4DDA33CDFE.jpeg 2818E20C-9228-4251-81B2-EF56CDA13F09.jpeg

9. rudestude

rudestude

When I was in high school I bought a two seater dune buggy frame, new, it was tacked together except for the middle bars connecting the top frame to the lower part ..the shop that I bought it from was about 60 miles from my house and the guy was closing up shop for the weekend in 45 min. ...crap no time to go get a pick up...and I wanted it now not next week....so I pulled my 67 396 ,4spd, SS Chevelle around the back of the shop...the guy looked out shacking his head and says I want no part of this.... I opened the trunk looked at it ...mmmmmm. then pulled the back seat out ..moved the front buckets as far forward as they would go...put card board over the edge of the trunk and the floor and back sides of the seats...slid the rails into the trunk ...they fit right between the X brace under the package tray slid them right up to the back of the seats...with the trunk lid opened all the way ..the cage over the seating area came up against the lid...so the whole back half of it was hanging out the back of the car.... I tied it in put the back seat in the part that was hanging out ....looked at at the guy ..he shrugged his shoulders and said have fun and off I went ....made it home no problems ...and no tickits.....my car is pictured the buggy frame in the pic is like the one I bought........ IMG_20190205_130854_1~2.jpeg 15494012166331959196436.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.