Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what type of vehicle this is?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shanepietsch, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Rears are MG Midget. Fronts look pretty much generic, are a bit wider, maybe Chevvy Monza or other GM sisters (Skyhawk, Sunbird, Starfire). All had the same 4-bolt 4" bolt circle, as did some of the smaller Japanese cars.

Attached Files:

Ned Ludd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Rich S.

Rich S.

I’ll be ready for that question the next time I play Trivia.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may lose your trivia game, Chrysler Imperial offered disc brakes in 1949 same year as Crosley. The Chrysler used Ausco-Lambert brakes which were very efficient, but very expensive to make. They were completely different from modern disc brakes. So on that score Crosley would win as their Bendix brakes were more like today's. Unfortunately they were designed for airplanes and tended to freeze up and rust up on cars.

chryslerfan55 and Paint Guru like this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

Around 1965 there was a fella in North East Missouri running a Crosley station wagon on the circle track in either Memphis MO or maybe Kirksville MO, maybe both, can't remember for sure. Had a small block chevy in it. He then started racing at another track that didn't allow station wagons so he put a sedan body on it. He was originally sitting not far ahead of the tail gate so things got real tight with the sedan body!

Dave

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Fronts are Vega wheels. Take it from a victim ,best part of the car....

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

7. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Actually, the Crosley brakes were Goodyear / Hawley and were made of aluminum so they didn't rust.The problem was brake fluid's tendency to draw moisture and that caused pitting on the aluminum insides.I have rebuilt several using stainless steel pistons and liners and the work quite well.

8. 1949 "Nern" with a cross country carburetor, we had a purple one when I was a kid 40 Cu In of fire breathing overhead cam madness. put a piece of pipe where the muffler use to be had a rap like 3 lowrider Chevys. HAHAHahahah!!!!

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

4 on 4" is quite a rare bolt pattern. I know because it's the pattern on my Morris Minor, and I know how few other wheels will bolt up. American Minor fans have been known to run Vega/Monza 13" wheels. Elsewhere, 13" Vauxhall Viva wheels will work but 12" Viva wheels are visually too small. So, obviously, are 10" Mini wheels. I don't know any commonly available Japanese cars which use that pattern. That is why hub conversions giving different bolt patterns (usually Ford 4 on 4¼"/108mm) are a thing in the Morris Minor world.

10. I see a Crosley every year at the Newport Hill Climb that runs white-spoke trailer wheels and tires.

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I knew them wheels were Furrin' once I saw the cat,,,,,,,,,

warhorseracing likes this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, my ID was apparently in error...but the vocabulary here is indicative of the range of knowledge on the HAMB!
    How many online car board have members who can use terms like desmodromic, give wheel interchange info on the Minor, or swing the crank on a Knight motor??
    I've seen DETAILED tech questions on Tatras and all sizes of Citroens and Panhards answered correctly in minutes on here by our knuckle dragging historians...

tb33anda3rd, williebill and Sancho like this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sport coupe model 97AF91EA-A85C-44B7-A07D-9A9BFE8B40A0.jpeg 766CFE39-1075-4F33-9A50-1EEEAA3B4D87.jpeg

14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You have to see one in person to really appreciate just how small these things are.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My first actual contact, numerous decades ago, was finding an engine in a junkyard...I found that I could pick it up quite easily. Then I noted that it had generator and starter that were about the same size that normal cars used in... and THAT was what really blew my mind. Half the engine's weight had to be just the ridiculously large starter and generator!

Apropos nothing here, I found this page of twilight zone Crosley engine variants:
    http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree.html

16. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

The Crosley engine was also used as a inboard engine in racing hydroplanes until they eliminated the classic 70’s

upload_2018-9-4_14-1-46.jpeg

NoSurf, upspirate and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. If you stand one on it's back it's not that much bigger than a refrigerator.

18. The rears look like MG. I did find one earlier this year that had a 70's Toyota drivetrain, but too much $$$. Then I found the Hillman :).

GET IT and have fun, I see a Chevy II 153 motor in it.

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It's not really that small in international terms. It's only about 3" shorter than my VW Golf Mk1, or 5" shorter than my Morris Minor. It's a lot narrower, though. But it's two feet longer than a real Mini or rear-engined Fiat 500.

I love the way that generation of Crosleys look like newborn '39 Buicks.

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

I have a Crosley engine variant in my 1962 Grady White boat. It is a Homelite 4 stroke outboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upspirate and tb33anda3rd like this.