Register now to get rid of these ads!

What type of mig welding gas can I use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Nov 19, 2009.

1. butterboy

butterboy

I have a miller 110v unit. Running .023 wire(non flux core)
    Could use agron? Or should I just keep using C02? Reason I ask, is at my work the Boss said help yourself to the argon tanks. Is it worth lugging a
    bottle home?
    Thanks guys

2. idiggett

idiggett

I have a small Miller 110v also, I use 50/50 argon CO2 mix....but if the straight argon is free. it should work.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

75% Argon and 25% C02 mix is what I use.

4. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Is it straight Argon or a mix? Straight Argon burns to hot for mild steel welding. It is harder to control the arc and the filler metal will build up faster. It will also make welding lighter gauge sheet metal a real pain. Pure Argon is normally used for Aluminum.
    Pure CO2 is good an cheap, but doesn't maintain the arc all that well at lower heat settings Argon/CO2 mix is a little better.

5. Yep 75%, 25%

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bottles can be used as cores!!!! YES!!! Lug them home! They can be refilled with whatever your favorite gas mix is. :D If you're welding steel, I would recommend sticking with CO2 mix. If you're welding stainless, go with a "TriMix". If you're welding think gauge steel, stick with the .023. If you're welding thicker stuff, go with .030. Your welder should have a guide for wire thickness vs. material and type. They're usually pretty accurate depending on the conditions by which you're welding.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too!

8. butterboy

butterboy

Thanks guy it is straight argon. Mabey I will lug a bottle home and try..It's free right..

9. 75/25 is the way to go on steel. The welder I use at work also has a spoolgun for welding aluminum that's supplied by a seperate bottle and flowmeter, straight argon.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You can use it along with you CO2 if you make adapters to run both at the same time. Just adjust the percentage with a gauge on each one.
    Cant beat free... stuff is expensive. Yes argon straight will run hotter..

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CO2, & set flowmeter at 20------------Don

12. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

If you are TIG welding. the Argon will not burn too hot for mild steel. You set the amount of gas through the torch by adjusting the gas valve, and adjusting the amperage at the machine.

Straight argon through a MIG with .023 wire will be a mess. You'd have to set the wire speed up high and go fast to prevent blow-through, and you'll end up with a shitty looking weld with little or no penetration.

Go with a 72/25 mix.

And Argon is not always used for Aluminum. I TIG weld medium to heavy wall tubing in boilers with straight Argon by using a Tig Rig. This is a Tig torch with the power lead connected to a junction block, which is supplied by the welding lead for power and the Argon. The power and gas go to the torch at the same time through the power lead.

I weld carbon steel, stainless and Inconel using this set-up with straight Argon, and it's also used to weld the waterwalls and superheater components as well.

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Refilling with argon/co2 (75/25) is REALLY cheap. Why go with the wrong gas for free?

14. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Get all the argon you can for free. Then get on cragslist and pick up a nice used TIG. You will burn thru a couple of bottles just trying to learn the art of TIG.

15. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

I made this "Cap" from a piece of Plastic Pipe. I always keep it on the tank when the Valve is Closed. When I remove the Cap, I open the valve and when I get through I close the valve and replace the cap. That way I can tell from across the shop whether the valve is open or closed. Nothing like getting ready to do some welding and find out that you left the tank open and lost your gas.
    [​IMG]

Lost_N_Austin

16. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Thats a really neat idea! Simple too.