Register now to get rid of these ads!

What transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Oct 7, 2009.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I am excitedly waiting on my tri-power set up to show up from Dickster, and am trying to decide what transmission to run behind the SBC that is going in my 29 A sedan.
    The original plan was to run an LS1 with a 4l60e but after spending enough time on this site I changed my mind and am going with a pre 86 SBC with the 3 x 2 setup and was going to use a 700r4 behind it.
    But I had someone tell me that the TV cable that the 700r4 requires will not work with my carbs (Holley 94's) I thought it would hook right up so now I am not sure.
    I have a P & J's frame that was set up for the LS1 and 4l60e with 370 gears.
    I am hoping that the crate motor and 700r4 can use the same mounts on the frame without to much modification as long as the that trans will work with my carbs.
    First Hot Rod so any insite about the TV cable and frame mounts being a problem would be appreciated.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am not a tranny expert, nor do I play one on TV, but I think the linkage issue comes down to this........you have to have an 'arm' or lever on the carb that is the correct length or ratio to move the TV cable the correct amount when accelerating. That may require fabricating alever or a bellcrank arrangement operated from the carb to accomplishment the correct moevement. I don't think the type of carb has any bearing on the use of a 700R4, only that the TV cable moves the correct distance for the power being applied by the engine. There are places on the internet that explain this movement and a search should find them for you. Regards..and best wishes

3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thanks
    So there is some hope for the 700r4.

4. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Dickster says it can be done.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Very well put! Just get the accelerator move the TV lever the proper range. IOW: idle = TV to one end, WOT to other end. The ratio would allow the TV lever to move it's total range (no more, no less) while the accelerator moves it's total range, again no more, no less.

6. Gator

Gator

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thanks guys I knew I could get good infor on here.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm curious how this worked out...I also have a 700r4 behind my flathead and I'm running holley 2100's (94's) and I'm totally understanding how the TV cable has to be set-up, BUT I'm at a loss as to how to get a bracket on the carb that will work...pics would be helpfull....