Register now to get rid of these ads!

what trans to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61bone, Apr 30, 2005.

1. 61bone

61bone

Scored a complete running low mileage Caddy 4.9 300 hp all aluminum engine. What 4 or 5 spd trans will bolt up to this?
    Thanks

2. None.
    Nothing will "Bolt up" due to the utter lack of a pilot bushing or even a place to put one. So. You will have to pull the crank and have it machined to take a pilot bushing, AND find a flywheel to mate to said crank. Somehow I think these engines are externally balanced, so you'll have to have the whole rotating assembly balanced with the new flywheel.
    The bellhousing is said to be standard GM, either B-O-P or Chevy, it's been too long, but there are things that need to be changed for a longitudinal mounting, as the 4.9 was only put in there crosswise from Cadillac.
    Cosmo

3. squirrel

squirrel

the brand new Caddys have this engine in a rear drive car, finally. it's still not an engine I would use, I have a 4.6 in pieces I'll give away to the first guy who wants to come get it.

the bellhousing is the small one used on the 2.8 chevy V6 starting in 1980, so early S-10 and 82-newer V6 Camaro bellhousings should work.

4. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

actually there is one bell housing bolt hole that is located different from the small bell 2.8 chev engine bell housing.

I've built a few 700's for these engines.

5. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the correction.

and on a traditional note, I always thought the 50s caddy motors would bolt to a 400 from the mid 60s, but they have the dowel holes off just a little bit! I learned this recently when I got hold of a 365 block and tried to put a 66 cad TH400 case on it, and it didn't work.

6. 61bone

61bone

Thanks for the info guys. I am kinda picturing this in a single seat lakester. Sound like fun?:D