Register now to get rid of these ads!

What tools & spares on long trips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by staleg, Dec 22, 2013.

1. staleg

staleg

What tools and spares do you take with you on long trips with an old car?

2. khead47

khead47

The ones I don't need!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I keep a trip bag of tools that I rarely get into. It sits in the garage just to put in when I hit the road. It has a set of ratcheting combination wrenches, 3/8" socket set, multiple screwdrivers. Pliers, side cutters, allens, vise grips, and crescent wrench. It also has a roll of duct tape, iron wire, and 4 spark plugs. I also carry a half gallon jug of water/coolant mix, just in case. It might not be enough, but I can refill the jug if I use it up.
    I don't carry extra parts, as I rarely have found I have what breaks, and don't want to carry so much that I'm covered.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Six cans of Fixaflat

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I carry a plastic tool box with miscellaneous tools some 1/4 inch 3/8 inch
    1/2 inch and numerous extensions screwdrivers and open and box wrenches a bundle of wire ties a few hose clamps and crimp on wire ends electrical tape duct tape a bundle of mechanics wire. I also carry 4 quarts of oil and a gallon of water. These tools and other stuff won't get me out of every jam but they have served me and my buddy's well through the years. You can't carry everything but if you need a specific tool be sure it's with ya!

6. I carry a inexpensive tool kit that has the basic tools,I carry wire,tie raps,and a AAA card just in case.

This basic tool kit has helped me and several other hot rodders over the years. HRP

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I carry a can of "save ass" everyday. Being stuck sucks, whether it's 1 mile or 50 miles, from home. Tools, belt, air pump, flat repair, flash light, duct tape, etc. I have just about everything I need under the seat of my T Bucket. Guys with a truck have no excuse for not being prepared.

8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

If you run a sbc using stock, stamped steel rocker arms carry a couple of spares too.

9. My small tool kit a bottle jack and a wiring kit that we have made up over the years. A bottle of brake fluid, carb cleaner, coolant and a cooler. nice to have a cold drink while waiting on some one to bring what ever we have for got and really need.

10. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I always carry a basic tool kit. These old cars and trucks don't require much more then that.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

11. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Spare belt, hoses, fuel pump, fuses, bulbs, flashers, test light road flares set of reflective triangles. There are far too many distracted drivers out there and you d not want to get killed fixing your old car on the side of the road..... Usually when you have the spares you never need 'em! That is my experience.

12. I also think a LOT of it is how well YOU can use the tools.

My son in law couldnt fix the tiniest issue with a full Snap On taco wagon loaded to the hilt pulled behind the car, where many of us can get big problems at least patched up enough to get rolling with the very most basic of tools and supplies.

That said, I bring a space saver spare (the idea is not to finish the trip, but rather get me to a tire shop), tire plugs (or tube patches), a small compressor (mine is a old foot pump), basic tools (screw drivers, adjustable wrench, slip joints, wrenches, sockets), BAILING WIRE, duct tape, electrical connectors/tape/length of wire/fuses.

Also, in addition to a cell phone, I ALWAYS either have a CB or at least a boxed emergancy cb radio. Reason why, as great as cell phones are, there are always places you get no reception (and you ALWAYS break down there), but if you are on a well traveled road or highway, you can signal help from a trucker with your cb.

13. Mechanics wire, basic tools, spare belts are good, if I ran a generator I'd carry spare brushes, that sort of thing. With today's methanol fuels I might carry a spare fuel pump, if it's easy to change. Filter, too. And some fuel line hose and clamps.

14. slammed

slammed

Jumper cable. Flashlights (small & large Maglite) Something to lay on. A long sleeve sweatshirt. A nightstick or golf club (ask Jack Nicholson). Good pair of work gloves.

15. Another interesting thing is, so long U don't open Your hood, people will came and look and say,
    -cool car.
    But in the same second U open the hood and show the toolbox. All people around will disappear in a flash......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Spare tyre and a can of fix a leak

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I carry a spare ignition module, a spare Blower belt, a spare fuel pump, a spare alternator. A pretty good assortment of tools, with electrical wire tape tester etc. the Alt,blower belt and module are probably something I'm not going to be able to pick up at Autozone. I don't carry a spare tire or jack cause I have no room for them.

18. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Basic tools, belt, special cut lower hose, plug kit w/co2 cartridge, and Browning 380.

19. 47COUPELG

47COUPELG
    from Iowa

I carry a tool bag, ign. module, belts, hose repair tape, elec. kitw/ fuses, flashlights, & cell phone & charger.
    I'm going to look into the CB radio, sounds like a good ideal.

20. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

When I grow up, I wanna be like my dad... all he carries is his AAA Card!
    Me, I have a heavy satchel chock full of wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, a 3/8" socket set, test light, duct tape, fuses, brake fluid, vise grips, tie-straps and various other items.

A cool back-story to this, I bought a chopped '30 Model A from "Preacher" here on the HAMB. He lives in northern Vermont and I live in South Georgia. I asked him if I was crazy enough to fly up and drive it home, did he think it would make it. He said basically that he couldn't promise a trouble-free trip, but that his dad ("Knucklehead" on the HAMB) was going to drive it out to Bonneville, but the only reason he didn't go is because his mom didn't want to ride in it that far. With that said, I figured I'd give it a shot. Well, when i got there, his dad picked me up at the airport and before I left, he gave me this satchel. He had went to Sears and stuffed this thing full of Craftsman tools for me! What a cool thing to do. Anyhow, on the way home, the only problem I had was a broken brake line and thanks to my satchel full of tools, I had it fixed in no time!
    Nowadays, I never leave without it, and I always think about some pretty cool guys... Preacher and Knucklehead.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

In my small world of travel I have not needed anything that I do carry with me...However; on several occasions I would have liked to have had the ability for revenge....