Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What tools does it take to build a Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDE, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Very true. You can use a lot less tools than we typically rely on, but then again who wants to go back to the way I did things as a kid. A pipe over a ratchet rather than an impact gun, a match book to file and set points instead of a file and feeler gauge and so on. Without enough tools, you are going to work.way harder and take a lot longer to do the job.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

57JoeFoMoPar and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have 40+ years of tools collected, and have built more rods than I can count. This year I have had to buy or am buying, English wheel, larger brake, tubing notcher, 36' x 54' new shop, and it's only April!

3. A friend with a lot of tools.....

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

A running car to fetch what UPS can't bring.......

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

I have more money invested in tools than I do in the cars themselves.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hard tools are obvious, machines almost a luxury, a truck n trailer, more obvious than anything right? So you're into it. Grease from head to toe and all over mamma's new cream-colored rugs. You got that way taking it all apart but now what? Shelves. Wall to wall might be just enough. Back in the day it was coffee cans, and it can still be, but in the last few decades someone "discovered" the bane of all car guy's shop life, those fuckin ziploc bags! They get old fast, tear easily with metal parts, offer no protection for the delicate shit like gauges but what's a poor rod addict to do? I prefer deli cups. Those plastic cups your potato salad comes in from the grocery store. I get mine 50 at a time from Gordon's Food Service, 25 at a time for the 1 qt versions. Lids too. A sleeve of each will set you back less than $20 and if you act now you'll find that they're also solvent safe. Yeah, you can even mix paint in em. They stack very well in boxes, you can reuse em over and over, they stay pliable for the whole term of a build, that is unless you plan to take 30 years to get it done (!), and at that point you're on your own. A qt version will hold 2 small Packard gauges easily minus the temp gauge with the bulb on the end. These lil bastards are as handy as a shirt pocket. I use qt and pint sizes. You'll love em, trust me...
    [​IMG]

rod1, 37hotrod and tb33anda3rd like this.