Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to use to remove junkyard marker pen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol Blue, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

I have a body panel that has the yellow junk yard crayon/marker on it. I would like to get it off without damaging the "patena" of the part. I've tried goo-gone, heat, razor blade, heat gun and anything that takes the markings off also takes the paint off.

Any ideas??
    Thanks
    Ol Blue

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

3. Hrodblack

Hrodblack

paint thinner

4. I had some tough shit to remove a long time ago and my grandfather reached in his smoking drawer and pulled out Zippo lighter fluid. Worked great then and still works great today. Bottle in my tool box, waiting for the next tough spot. The old man knew and showed a few things that strangly stuck in the back of my head, even odder is when and where those thoughts pop out.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

I don't know if it will remove yard crayon but we use Pam oven cleaner to remove old lettering off of trucks. If it's factory paint under neath you can leave it on longer but if it's been repainted then you have to watch it real close otherwise it will lift the finish. Steve

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Lacquer thinner or acetone usually works well. If you are environmentally conscious or just don't want to use petroleum based products then try Castrol SuperClean...just don't let is stay on your skin for more than a few seconds!

7. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Lacquer thinner always works for me.

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

As mentioned above, Lacquer Thinner, does the job.

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

10. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Thanks for all your responses. I was having lunch with some old friends that run a Bonneville and a local salvage yard guy was there. He told me to use rubbing alcohol.

I tried it and it gets the marker off and doesn't do too much damage to the paint around the markings. However, when the marker writing came off, the paint under it came off too. Sooooo, no instead of the yellow marker, I have the writing showing up through the next layer of paint. :( I guess the old oxidized paint just didn't hold up under the marker. I think I'll be able to lightly sand it so the letters won't show though, and maybe it will look like the paint was worn off.
    Thanks again for all the advice.
    Ol Blue

11. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

GOD, just do the work and paint the car, arent there enough rat rods already?

12. NoPaint

NoPaint

The best is lighter fluid

13. Havrn't tried it, bu the goo-gone folks claim their stuff works well.

14. 3Mike6

3Mike6

DA sander..why not? Gonna have to paint it eventually.