Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to use Dynamat or ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Nov 17, 2011.

1. box50

box50

I need to put something down in the floor of my car and truck,first thing that comes to mind is Dynamat kinda high priced. Anyone used anything else if so what,Thank's guys:confused:

2. silversink

silversink

foil backed insulation at the big box stores worked for me---18$ for a big roll

3. toddc

toddc

I've used Resomat in my car and am quite happy with it, and it was much cheaper than Dynamat.

4. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

I've used Second Skin Audio before worked pretty good.

5. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

what about a spray in bedliner type material?
    lizard skin or something like that?

6. rockdawg

rockdawg
    from nj

For sound deadening i use Fatmat(ebay) same as Dynamat just cheaper.
    For insulating I use self adhesive duct wrap from Lowes.

7. B Blue

B Blue

Fatmat works for me and a bunch of other guys I know. I describe it as affordable Dynomat. Do a search, fifty bucks will buy enough to do most any car.

Bill

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Use LocbucRod's EZ-Cool. Way cheaper and works really well. Goes up or one with some spray glue and works like a CHarm. Check Dustin's truck and his garage to see what it looks like. It's good stuff at a fraction of the price.

9. That is what I am using, it doesn't weigh as much as the other insulating material and works well as a sound deadener as well as insulation.

Bubble wrap baby.

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Any problems with keeping the sound/heat stuff up on the inside of the roof long term? What do you use to keep it up there?

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I used foil backed air duct insulation from Home depot. $1 a sq. ft. and comes in 15' rolls.
    Dense foam with ery heavy and adhesive backed.
    [​IMG]

12. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I've heard from a few guys that the stuff from lowes or home depot is "Tar" based and when it heat it can move on you and if it really heats up you can smell the tar??? Anyone know if this is true? Dynamat and the other fancy stuff are apparently butyl based and that isn't affected by heat........ Please let us know!

Sam

13. agshelby

agshelby

I also the lowes foil-backed (bubble wrap) in my wife's 66 convertible floors. Before adding the floors would get very hot on summer drives. Made a huge difference in the temp of the floorpans and fit under the carpet without being obvious.

Great stuff and did the car for around 20.00.

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Rattle trap extreme. On Amazon you can get 100sf with a knife and roller for $165. delivered. Best price I ever got on dynamat was 145 for 39 sf. This stuff is basically looks the same and installs the same. I actually think its a little better

15. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

Last time I did this, I used Thermo-Tec "Acoustical & Heat Control Mats". Summit carries it in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and it's a lot cheaper than Dynamat. Used it in the cockpit of an Austin Healey, which are notoriously hot, and it made a very noticeable difference in heat dissipation. I was very pleased with it, and will definitely use it again.

~Bob

16. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I found the stuff on ebay. It was a lot cheaper then dynamat and I was real happy with it. There was enough to do 2 truck cabs.

17. shocker998md

shocker998md

Ive used Fatmat and I was happy with it.

18. I did my 59 with fat mat. the only problem is I don't have carpet yet and it looks like transformers took over.

[​IMG]

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ha Ha - :D !!

20. alchemy

alchemy

Can the aluminum skin be painted over without it flakeing off? I'd hate to look inside a door and see that shiney stuff. Maybe clean it really well with lacquer thinner first?

21. i used lobucrod's bubble mat on my 52 i thought it worked pretty good. i did the firewall, and full floor, plus the full roof and i still have a little less than half a roll left over.

22. big creep

big creep

23. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Put Fat Mat Rattle Trap Extreme all over the inside of my A seems good so far and like said already way cheaper than Dynamat.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use 3M Body Shutz on the side panels and plain ol carpet jute on floors. There's just "something" about those stick on foils that bugs me. Maybe I'm just psycotic...

25. kisam

kisam

I've used both Lowes and Lobucrod's. Hands down - Lobucrod's. The difference is multicelled
    [​IMG]

26. silversink

silversink

That looks just like the stuff I got from Lowes.

27. Fatmat looks like a winner, I need some inside my quarters and the kick panel.... Trunk too I think.

28. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I used it on my truck and I have not had any issue nor smell, I use the one with aluminum foil on one side.

29. Not to start a shit storm but I've always wondered.....

If Lowbucrod's is as good as the butyl-based products why is it so cheap and not nearly as well known? I've seen enough testimonies to believe that it works well but has anyone tested it against a butyl-based product?

Flashy ads will lure customers for a while but DynaMat has maintained a customer base and reputation as being the best for years. It seems to be the standard that everyone measures against. If it wasn't the best, something should have knocked it off by now.

I had the foil/bubble wrap stuff in a '40 coupe one time and almost melted every time I drove it. I'll be insulating my '47 in the spring and want it done well. I've even considered Lizard Skin covered by a butyl-based insulation with Lobucrod's over that.

Like I said, I'm not trying to knock anyone here. I've just not been impressed with the foil-backed stuff in the past. Can bubble wrap vs. multicell make THAT much difference?

Thanks, Jim

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when doing inside a roof take in consideration of installation of headliner and having to align cross bows. usually next to no room in cross bow area for anything except paint.