Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to use between running boards and fenders 1937 Chev truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on what one would use to go between the running boards and the fenders on a 1937 Chevy truck? There are gaskets available for other years but not the '37. Would just a piece of rubber work or is there a product out there that is made for this type of application? I have some left over sound deadening panels and wondered if that might work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. BJR

BJR

Why not post a picture so we can see what you are dealing with?

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I would cut a piece out of an inner tube maybe. Something that didnt hold moisture. Problem is tightening the fasteners may cause distortion.

K13 likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

well im approaching assembling my fenders and running boards.i have some 1/16 rubber sheet that's self adhesive on one side.i purchased it from a gasket factory.i was planning on cutting a strip for a gasket and punching 10mm holes for bolts .might put a little grease there in case of squeaking.im thinking of doing the same at the front and between the running boards andbrackets underneath them.sprayed the underneath of the running boards with rubber undersealerto keep road noise down..thats the plan

K13 likes this.

5. i used fender welting.

K13 and upspirate like this.
  6. Something as basic as an O-ring could work and give you a slight spacing so water can dry out, instead wicking in and remaining wet for a long time. Any type of gasket material actually only seals around the bolt and nut anyway.

K13 likes this.
  7. little red 50

little red 50

I use 30# roofing felt, repels water and lasts forever.

K13, Bear40 and harpo1313 like this.
  8. find a treadmill someone's throwing out and cut the tread material off, very durable,..but I like the "o" ring idea best, maybe even 2 of em on each bolt...fender welt looks terrible when it doesn't stay put.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    K13 likes this.
  9. That's what I would use.

They make fender welt in beaded & un-beaded vinyl and also in rubber although it's harder to work with.HRP

[​IMG]

K13 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. Thanks for the ideas guys I will have to see what I can come up with. It's probably going to have to be something I can cut to shape as the angles on the front fenders would make using something like welting pretty difficult to do.

nunattax likes this.
  11. to fold welting make pie cuts. to hold them in that shape [if the bolts won't] use a stapler for stapling paper together. i always install all the bolts, but not tight. push a wooden/plastic wedge or screw driver between the fender and running board from the INSIDE. this will allow you to slide the welting under. as you push it in if it won't bend to shape pull it out and make a cut. if you push it against the bolt and pull it out the welting will have a "dent" on the edge that hit the bolt. this dent will be where you cut it for clearance. once it is all fitted pull the wedge out, push the welting tight and tighten the bolts. welting can be made to follow ANY contour or bend.
    you also can use black electrical tape between panels. it works really well to stop squeaks and is fast and invisible.

K13 likes this.
  12. Thanks for the tips. I know how to use welt and will use it on the fenders but I don't want to put a bunch of cuts in it when it's sitting on a flat horizontal surface (to conform to the shape of the bottom of the fender) as it will just be a bunch of places for moisture and crud to get trapped.

I also wondered if something like window setting tape might work.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    nunattax likes this.