Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to see in northern Missouri????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Aug 9, 2013.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys my wife and I are planning our trip to greaserama in KC. We live in Ottumwa, Ia and would like to take a different route than normal... So whats there to stop and see or do in north eastern Missouri or anywhere from Ottumwa to KC? We did route 66 part a few years ago and it was a blast.

Cool little eatn joints?
    antique shops?
    hot rod shop?????? will probably stop at Choprods in Elmer along the way.

What ya got?

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

"What to see in northern Missouri????"

Snow

This is the factory where they make it and they are stocking up for this winter

Attached Files:

3. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

What is your route? If you are going to Elmer, MO you are probably traveling Hwy 63 South. If you continue to Columbia, MO (non scenic route) stop at the 63 Diner on Rangeline Road or 763.

4. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thinking about probably cruising south on 63 the maybe hit 36 west. Not really sure looking for ideas

5. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

start off the trip with a stop at the Canteen. that's pretty much our first stop whenever we're up in my home town.

6. tankwilson

tankwilson

7. I have made the same trip several times, even been to Kenny's shop, but otherwise I have found nothing but corn and cows. To me, that's a good thing and I can dig why Kenny lives there.

Walt

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Once upon a time, there was some junk sitting out around Breckenridge.

I think Excelsior Springs is neat with the old hotels and the art deco water bar.

[​IMG]

9. If you are going to Elmer you can pass right by my country estate in browning, absolutely nothin in browning but there is a good steak house in Brookfield, right off of 36 Hwy.

If you are traveling 36 ( which you should be about 10-20 Miles west of brookfield there is a covered bridge, its a little off the road but there is a sign and it is pretty cool to see and it will give you about havlf an hour out of the car and stretching your legs.

I may be up at my place if you are comming during the week and I would be glad to say hello.

10. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Not too sure about NE MO, but being as I live in KC I can give you some ideas for around here. As far as Grease-O-rama, as I'm sure you know, they have moved it this year, it is no longer at the drive-in, however a handful of old school Rama fans are throwing a get together that Sat. night at Boulevard Brewery. Bands,rats,drinks and all of that. Not knocking the Roma personally, but a few tend to think they are getting to be a bit like Good Guys. Anyhoo, send me a message and I can point you to some cool spots.
    T

11. tankwilson

tankwilson

Oh yes .....details please. Im little bummed about no drive in.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Willy_P

Willy_P

Since I had to cancel going to theHAMB drags, I plan to make it to greaserama at its new location.

Poverty flats told me he is going to the greenfield Iowa swap meet the weekend of greaserama.
    Www. Earlywheelsofiowa.com

Perhaps you could "doubledip" if time/ interest allows swap meet+ greaserama

Freedom rock
    A cool rest stop on I80@hwy25,
    Especially if you are a veteran.

http://www.visitadaircounty.com/freedomrock.htm

http://www.thefreedomrock.com/

My 2x

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Details, word on the street is that Grease-O-roma and the drive-in had a bit of a disagreement on the cost to put it on. They moved it to Platte County fairgrounds. Platte is renowned for cop hassling. Also, again word on the street is that Roma has begun to get too many rules and regs, a bit good guyish.

So a handful of old school greasers have decided to throw a show that Sat. at Boulevard Brewing Company here in KC. Old school rules and old school cars, I believe it's $20 a car, live music, etc.....

14. tankwilson

tankwilson

Better tell poverty flats to reschedule....

THE 50TH ANNUAL EARLY WHEELS OF IOWA

SWAP MEET

LOCATED AT THE ADAIR COUNTY FAIRGROUND IN

GREENFIELD, IOWA

SEPTEMBER 6 - 7 - 8, 2013

15. Willy_P

Willy_P

I sure he told me right and it got lost in translation. After all it was a day or so ago when he told me... :) my dad always told to listen more and talk less. Still working on that

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Under normal circumstances I don't get involved in this type of discussion, however I don't agree with part of what is going on with this post. A HAMBER from Iowa wants to no what kind of things he can see on his drive from Iowa to the Greasearama and a guy comes on and says that the Greasearama has become too Goodguys like. And oh by the way the cops in Platte hastle hot rodders. Oh, yeah, then he mentions that his club is putting on a show that weekend and it is more the style that the rama was to start with. Just does not seem right to me. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Later,
    Dick

17. ^^^^^No doubt, thread hijacking at its best (or worst).

Other than what's already been mentioned, the Pony Express Museum in St. Joseph is pretty cool and not too far from Platte City.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

stop and see PnB, just plan to spend LOTS of time listening!

sorry Benno, I just couldn't resist

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lets see if in St joseph you got Jesse James home.

If you come down to I 70 Rocheport has a nice winery.
    Arrow Rock has some old history.
    Lexington has an old civil war battle field.

20. Jesse James' home is in Kearney, NE of Kansas City on I-35.

21. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Greaserama has the same rules as always, nothing goodguyish about it....

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My bad been a long time.

23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if you go to columbia and take i-70 west stop in blackwater exit 89. lots of things to do and see. arrowrock also has some need history.

24. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Pretty much all of the cool stuff to do in Missouri involves outdoor stuff, camping, junk yarding, kayaking, hiking, etc. Not really many tourist attractions for the quick passer buy unless it's car shows. If you're like me and into CAR related and into OUTDOORS activities so it's a good place to live. If you're the domesticated type then Mo isn't for you.

I live in south-central/southern mo and it's ANYTHING BUT the corn and cows like the rest of the mid west, more like rocks, rivers, bikers and BBQ down here. Used to live in Columbia but the white collar yuppie scene gets old real fast.

25. The cabin where he grew up and the Pinkertons blew up his little brother is just outside (east of town) of Kearny. The house where Ford shot him in the back and where he lived with his wife after he was grown is in St Jo.

There is a beautiful state park in Cameron. Jump on I-35 from 36 Hwy and head south it will be the next exit, follow the signs.

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^That's the one I remember still had the bullet hole in the wall.

27. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when you say ne mo, first thing that comes to mind is hannibal, home of mark twain.

28. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Well if you are looking for something as far as an attraction that you wont find in any other state, there is the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail in Weldon Spring, MO. Ummmm serious....
    What do you do with 1.48 million cubic yards of PCBs, mercury, asbestos, TNT, radioactive uranium and radium, and contaminated sludge and rubble? Rather than haul it west into a desert, the Weldon Spring management team hit upon a novel solution: they would entomb it right where it was, inside a man-made mini-mountain.

Oh and the guy with the comments on GREASERAMA is off key as to what the story is. He can't even get the event name correct and we have not changed any rules. Also Oddly enough Boulevard Brewery is the only sponsor of our show. I think he may be talking about the Boulevard Drive In is having a show of their own starting at 4:30pm on Saturday.

I hope you find an enjoyable, scenic route on your journey down through MO to our show!

29. Oh man, the ratrodder rockabilly greasers are bout to have a switch blade comb fight!

We will be heading down 70 saturday morn,maybe well see you....

30. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Check ouy my birth place in Cameron..... :D :D :p