Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage what to see in COLORADO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinmanr2d2, Sep 2, 2014.

1. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

hey guys,
    heading there in 2 weeks .
    we have been there before and spent almost a week in the Rocky Mountain National Park .we also went to Granby lake and caught some rainbow trout and kokanee salmon that was awesome ! we will be near Rollinsville .
    we may head to Utah to see Moab and then possibly onto Brice ,then Mesa Verde . if you guys have any ideas be it food, bbq , arcades, we really would love to visit a junk yard ! car museums . possibly a ghost town ? custom bike shops "Harley ,Indian ,Triumph" are there any must see cruise nights or car shows September 17th till the 27th or 28th
    we just want to have some fun !
    thanks guys !
    vinmanr2d2

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If you are near Durango/Silverton, outside of Silverton is a road the goes up to Animas pass. There is an abandoned mining town before you crest the pass. The road going up is "scenic" but suitable for 2wd, after the village, it's a jeep trail. Near Bryce is Zion National Park, there is a salvage yard in the town near the southern park entrance. If in or near Idaho Springs Col off I 70 between Denver and Vail, stop at Tommyknockers Brew Pub for a good meal and some fermented beverage

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There's always a cruise in Aurora every Friday nite...Hampden and Tower Road at the Sonic...pulls in 150 or so cars...

Definitely go see Moab, Bryce AND Zion (just outside St. George, Utah)...and I-70 from Denver thru Glenwood Canyon is gorgeous...!!!

Pinkees Rod Shop in Loveland is a great rod shop, builds winners all the time and Dave Crouse's Custom Auto in Ft. Collins build tons of Deuces and restores great old significant hot rods.

The Silverton railroad still runs...you can take a ride on that...IF you get to do all this, you'll have surpassed your two weeks in Paradise...!!! Good Luck,

R-

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

in 2 weeks is the hot rod hill climb in georgetown...

Big bike swap meet in Denver on the 21st

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Actually it is more like a drive up a road,no one is actually racing.
    The Colorado grand is on in Vail on Sept 13th as well
    Great event with lots of neat historic old race cars.

6. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

thanks for the info guys ! We are always up for fun !
    that's what I love about this site man . great people !

7. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Since you are staying near rollinsville , take the dirt/stone road directly across from the bar going west aprox 10 miles.
    There is the east portal to the Moffat tunnel.
    6 mile train tunnel traversing the continental divide.
    The foot trail that takes you over the tunnel entrance will eventually climb to
    A couple of lakes that I have pulled some trout out of.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

If you are in Rollinsville,it is a short drive to Nederland where the hippies there have a frozen dead guy party

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Re the Moffat tunnel area. We ran into a herd of bighorn sheep up on a ledge just about at the viewing area for the tunnel. That after being skunked fo r three straight days in Rocky Mtn Nat Park.

10. 57tbirdguy

57tbirdguy

If you reach me offline I will share with you a favorite hunting spot for cars and parts. There is a yard in the middle of nowhere that has probably 300-400 cars with the majority being built before 1970. Here is a teaser pic... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409780192.150405.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The george town loop railroad is fun also. Its just a few mile ride on a steam locomotive but quite fun.

12. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

not sure if you goy my pm , but hell yeah I am interested in checking it out ! thanks again . vinny in nj

13. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

well , we are back !
    that was an amazing trip ! we put over 3000 miles on in 8 days and never left the state !
    my pal lives in Rollinsville which is next to Nederland , a quaint hippie town . we hit the cliff dwellings , drove over Loveland pass, rocky mtn national park 3 times , winter park , and grand lake ! ate rocky mountain oysters . saw 3 moose come across our pound and exit right in front of us ! we saw elk, bobcat, fox.. and lots of BARKING dogs !!!!!, dog's , dog's , dog's !!!!!!!!!
    we caught trout , saw an eagle and even rode the local carousel which was hand carved by a Vietnam Veteran that he started carving in the 70's . we saw a couple of hot rod's , "I do have pictures !
    we drove through Leadville, South Park , Buena Vista and Spiny mountain park .
    hung out with a mule we found just drifting so we gave him some potato chips "maple bacon"
    and laughed as his eyes went wide from the flavor !!!! we went to a private solstice party , which had about 70 people or so .
    we did miss the railroad trip , and going to the drag strip though !
    we went through Estes national park ,up toward Fort Collins, drove through Boulder and then down to the area that was flooded out so bad .
    well , we are truly jealous of those of you who call Colorado home ! that is until October when the snow starts to fall !!!!!! the people of Nederland and Rollinsville were so friendly that I had to mention it here ! we ate , drank , and partied at the stage stop ! WiredSpider,
    GOT MY FROZEN DEAD GUY STICKER !
    Grahamsc , my friends parents live on the road leading to the moffit tunnel ! they have the Christmas lights on the outside of their fence and a mini blazer ! they are actually moving this week and their friend will be moving in that house !
    we rode a friends Harley for 200 miles through Rocky Mountain National Park and over the Trailridge highway which is the highest continuous highway in the USA
    we drove to Florissant fossil beds and found a piece of petrified wood
    maybe one of these pictures will be recognized ........
    can someone please tell me how to post a picture here ! I tried and it says it is too large .....
    thanks to all of you who gave me insight to your wonderful state !
    also , the rec shops are very cool indeed !

14. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

My first stop would be the weed store. The Dude Abides!

Special Ed and Bubba1955 like this.
  15. Colorado is a great state unless you have to live here...lol. The libs are changing the entire state for the worse... At least we have good car events!

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Get a photobucket account... (www.photobucket.com) it's free and you can put your pix on there, copy the link they'll provide and you can paste that link into your post...

R-

17. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Glad to hear you had fun!
    Took my father inlaw up trail ridge road last saturday to see the leaves and Elk.