Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with surface rust on Red's headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I bought a set of Red's headers for my flathead a year or so ago. I still haven't installed them. I ordered them unfinished, and didn't coat them when I got them. As a result, there's a really light coat of surface rust on them. I probably won't use them for a while, but I want to stop the rusting for now.

What should I do? Sand the rust off and oil them? Could I use naval jelly or something? Another rust converter and a coating? Does Zero Rust have an appropriate header coating?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Run 'em as is and call it patina! [​IMG]

If the rust isn't bad...it should wipe off with some steel wool and WD-40. At that point, you can scuff 'em and clean them with brake parts cleaner.

Then, either oil 'em up and wrap 'em in garbage bags or paint 'em inside and out. The paint in the tubes will burn off and provide a pleasant aroma for a while after you get around to bolting them up and running the engine...but it'll help fight rust during storage!

3. i'd bead blast them and then get them ceramic coated. at least sand them with some fine sandpaper and spray with header paint for now ... .or use Eastwood's stainless steel paint,that holds up well

4. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

First things first,take a die grinder and carefully remove the "RED'S"name plate.When I crewed on a sprint car we kept the headers bare metal.Just spayed on em with WD40 every Monday when cleaning the car.Looked good for several seasons.