Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with chrome slots?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Mar 17, 2013.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I have a rusty pair i'm debating putting on the front of my gasser. My Cragars are gone so looking for other options and I have these .

I ground down the rust with a flap disc and considering just painting them. I went over the whole wheel with the disc to clean up and was going to get some self etching primer and either some type of cast aluminum finish or black to match the rear reversed black steelies.

Total waste of time here or just put on the black steelies on the front instead? I won't invest a whole lot in them like getting them rechromed or powercoated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If your going black steelies on the back, I think they would look pretty cool as black slots on the front.

4. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

Ford used a nice toned down silver in 1971 called Light Pewter Metailic, paint code "V". (Mach 1 color)
    It is not a bright silver, has a subdued tone that in certain light even browns down a bit. A friend thought it looked similar to magneseum after I painted a set of wheels. I included a photo with and without flash. The flash makes it look brighter silver than it actualy apears.

I used Dupont Centari single stage enamel (yup, it was quite a while ago) and I don't think I used a hardener and they have held up quite well.
    A quart did six wheels, so a pint will easily do two wheels. Maybe you could get it mixed up in a spray can at the local automotive paint place.

Attached Files:

5. How about sand blasting them and powder coat? HRP

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If they were mine, I'd sand them down or sand blast them, and then paint them that gray/green/gold "Dow Coat" color that treated Magnesium wheels had.

-Brad

7. Chrome slots? ... if your talking Appliance, I'd say trash them and just run steelies. If something else, hows about a pic?

8. daddio211

daddio211

Rechrome them and run 'em.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I don't think there anything special, but the worse one has been ground on . Eastwood has an aluminum cast spray but the profile really isn't right for an aluminum slot look I don't think.

The other wheel doesn't look as bad, but the one on the left was missing large areas of chrome.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      262.3 KB
      Views:
  10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice, where did you get the center caps?

11. daddio211

daddio211

They're not mine, they belong to my good friend Dave. He's had them on this car since he built it in 1972-73, so they were new.

Car has never been apart, repainted, or modified since then. It's been METICULOUSLY cared for since the day he finished it.

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too late now, but I've had very good luck resurrecting the chrome with an Oxylic Acid dip. Third shot is of the backside, just to show how dramatic the effect is.

There are quite a few center caps available, most center holes are 3.25.

If you don't want to powdercoat, an antique bronze or cast blast type paint might look good.

I have a set of new skinnys being built (4.5 width), I'm trying the silver powdercoat just to see how it looks, might try an antique bronze next set.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I say rechrome and run 'em. They were good enough for this coupe in Detroit last weekend...

Attached Files:

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone know a plater that will do complete assembled wheels?

15. i really wish somebody would re-issue these wheels

16. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I'm not familiar with this "Oxylic Acid". Do you use it straight or dilute it? Thanks!

17. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold at the hardware store as "wood bleach". Very common trick to bring back plated BMX frames. There is probably a recommended ratio, but I just dump about a half cup in warm water in one of the large rubbermaid containers, big enough for two wheels. Let it soak for about 24 hours, clean of with a soft WHITE (kitchen) Scotchbrite. Anything more coarse will scratch the chrome and look like crap. Soak again if the results were not satisfactory. I then neutralize with a baking soda and water rinse.

Attached Files:

18. daddio211

daddio211

Brilliant!

19. Wow this should be in Tech!

20. Here's a pair that are painted over on that auction site

Attached Files:

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Another reason to keep these or use this size is because of my current h78-14 tires i'm using, my front steelies I have are 15". What does a chrome job cost these days anyway?

22. daddio211

daddio211

How about the DIY chrome paint that's become so popular?

23. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

might try soaking them in vinegar to remove the rust or blast them. If you soak them
    you should neutralize them as stated above.

Then use some fine grit sand paper (1000 / 1500 ?) then rubbing compound
    buff them out , then prep and spray them with a clear coat.
    At distance they might look chromed.

I have not done this but looking at your pictures of the sanded one
    looks like it might work....just a thought.

24. My coupe project had a set of those on it when I bought it. The guy bought these wheels and tires in the 70's. They've never been driven on yet.
    [​IMG]

25. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good plating is expensive. Also, I have not heard of any platers that will do a complete wheel, the centers need to be cut out and chromed separately. One positive is that new chrome hoops are available, if you did get the centers cut out you could specify your own width and offset.

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dig those Goodyears. One of the last non rusty sets left in the upper midwest!

27. ...I vote for doin em like these...
    [​IMG]

28. It'll cost a little more but if they were mine I might consider getting them bead blasted then paint them black.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you're on a budget I'd just paint them with a silver wheel paint. Or if you can get the metal sanded pretty smooth you might just clear coat them.

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very cool wheels! I'd like to find a set like that for my project!