Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do with a car that was left at my shop???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedRacer2002, May 1, 2007.

1. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

well i had a customer bring me a car to subframe like 6 or so years ago and i did the subframe for him within a couple weeks ... then he wanted me to put the motor in it for him also... so his buddy brings me the motor on a trailer.... leaves the motor and trailer the owner of the car comes over a month later and says that the motor on the trailer isnt his because chevy never made a blue motor... i was like ok whatever... so he says i sold his motor to someone else and put this one on the trailer in its place... well 6 or 7 years have gone by and i havent talked to this guy in like 3-4 years and he wont return any of my calls his business went under and nobody wants the car... what should i do with it??? its a 50 pontiac 2 door coupe by the way.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Nobody wants it? Hmmmmm, anyways I imagine many will chime in explaining how you file a mechanics lien on the car and sell it.

Get the lien and then advertise it for auction. You'll have all sorts of people there.

3. Mechanic's lein. You went above and beyond long ago(after 30 days, actually).

4. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I'l take if it's free....:D

Dude sell it by now it's yours.

5. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I'll be by tomorrow to get that problem out of your hair...

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

When you figure out the fees to add up for the storage lein, figure on $5-10/day for storage after 30 days. You'll wind up owning it with a free and clear title in your name, and then you can either sell it, fix it, or do both.

7. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

After that many years, file the proper paper work with the state and get a title for it. Just the fact that it's abandoned on your property should be enough in most states to get a title.

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I guess the first thing a judge would ask you would be "why did it take you 6 years to do something about this?" What's the rest of the story?

9. lolife

lolife

You might check and see if he is in state or federal prison.

10. john56h

john56h

Chevy made blue engines in the late 70's

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Blue motor?
    pontiac, ford,buick, or chebby?

if it's Poncho, throw it into the cradle, and drive the piss out of it.

12. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

In North Carolina you file a mechanics lein and in six weeks it's yours. I imagine Kansas is similar.

Title it and build a nice car out of it, take a photo and sell the car. When he shows up again, give him the photo and tell him six years is too long.

13. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

well it took 6 years because it wasnt a problem up untill now that im moving my shop and my parents are taking over this building for their antique shop.. and dad doesent want a bunch of cars sitting around.... and i realy dont want cars sitting around my new shop next to my house... actually my wife doesent want them sitting around..... so thats why im gettin a 42x70 building...

14. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

just happen to leave it outside for one of us. hahah

15. FeO2

FeO2

That happened to me once. I won the DemoDerby at the county fair that year.

16. 5window

5window

Seriously? I think a mechanic's lien is the way to go, but at some point the owner does need to be notified. You can avoid a lot of hassle by spending a little bit and consulting your attorney before making a move. That way, when you've fixed up the car, or sold it and it's left, the clown who "owns" it doesn't come along suing your backside. Get an expert opinion for your state, then move on it.

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Title 42 here at the tag office here and BAM in a months time the state sends you a title.

18. When you file the lien you will make a documented effort to contact the property owner. Sending a registered letter or taking out a classified ad will usually be enough.

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah, Oklahoma's Title 42 requires certified attempts to contact the registered owners and all other interested parties (IE finance companies or banks), and then you can move forward onto the titling process. Either way, a mechanic's lein take precedence above any and all other leins here in OK, but other states should be similar.

20. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Then do a HAMB auction

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

put a lien on it, put an ad in the newspaper saying it has a lien on it and sell it

22. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I am curious myself.... Our shop has 4 cars that have been sitting for at least three years. The money owed has been written off and we have been trying to get rid of them forever as they're all bees nests in the summer.

At my buddies shop they do police tows.... If they car sits for more than six months they scrap them. Most of them are junk. A few times they have some calls about the cars after they were crushed! But rarely does anyone come pick them up.

23. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

How much do you want for the trailer?