Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What to do? will it fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daniel gallocker, Apr 13, 2023.

1. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

Hello guys,
    So i have a couple questions and im hoping some people on here have exp or know what i may or may not be getting into.

I currently have a 1955 Ford customline. I was planning on having the 272 beefed up. All in all for what i wanted it was going to be around 5k just for the engine. Then it would be whatever the cost of a transmission plus another grand for the adaptor.

I wanted to keep it a ford engine in a ford car. But i recently met someone who may have changed my mind.

He has a 454 BBC that he can sell to me for 2800$. I would have the power with that thing stock then what i would have with the Yblock after the work. I can mount a transmission to it without an adaptor. Its like 3200$ in savings that could be used to fund other parts of this rebuild. The fella i was speaking to reckons it will fit no problem, might just need an adaptor of some sort for the engine mounts. Does anybody have any exp with this? will a 454 chevy fit into the 55 ford customline without any major work needing to be done?

the positive is i can save the y block and eventually get that worked on and drop it back in in the future, and use the 454 in a "morvair" type of project id like to do in the future (check out matts offroad recovery to see what the morvair is)

This fella also suggested that i scrap the idea of swapping my rear axle to the one i sourced from a ford explorer, and going to a junkyard and pulling out the IRS of an older corvette. He said if i want to have better performance and grip, plus i do wanna bag it and he said itll be easier to bag with less frame mods with an IRS then with a solid rear end. Anyone have any exp with making an IRS out of a customline or seen anything similar? I know ill have to get a 2 or 4 link made which is fine, Im not a mechanic so i would just source the parts and take it all to the guy im having put the bags in.

any info and insight very much appreciated.

Daniel

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Where is the sump in the oil pan on the current engine. That is the first thing to look at as it will tell you how difficult it will be to install a different brand of engine.

hrm2k, Budget36 and dana barlow like this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fella who suggested the Coorsvette IRS must be a street rodder type. Stick with a solid rear axle, not that hard to do that bag thing with one.

I have no experience putting a BBC into a 55 Ford. I'm sure there's someone on here who does.

4. Older corvette in a junkyard? :p

5. Of course independent suspension on either end is not covered on this forum, but go look under that Vette and see the frame mods it'll require just to install it.

6. Squablow

Squablow

The massive amount of work to convert that car to IRS properly is way more difficult than an engine swap. You can't just bolt in an IRS, there's geometry involved and probably a custom back half of the frame. Incredible amount of unnecessary work.

I have a small block Chevy in a '52 Ford and a 348 in my '53. It would work, as Saltflats said it depends mostly on where your oil pan sump is. There's lots of options for Chevy to move that if need be. But if you were going to swap to a Chevy engine I'd consider a small block instead, they're easier to fit due to width, they're lighter, and they're easier to dress in a traditional manner. Big blocks are fun in drag cars but they're exceptionally thirsty at the gas pump, and all that extra weight on the front wheels isn't going to make steering any easier, either.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve seen BBC’s in 57 Thunderbird’s and plenty of FE’s, so with a torch and a hammer it’ll probably fit eventually. With $2800 for a starting spot, and the advice on the rear end? I’d keep moving. Or you will be a mechanic when you’re done. Or broke. Or both.

8. evintho

evintho

OK....let me get this straight. The guy with all these brilliant ideas (BBC, 'Vette IRS, etc.) actually has a BBC that he'll sell you. How convenient. And, all this will be installed by another guy who is gonna throw some bags in it for you? Also, you're not a mechanic. You do realize you're about to head down a very, very expensive rabbit hole! I think it was George Bush (the elder) who said it best. KISS.....Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Stick to your original plan or go SBF/AOD. You'll be miles ahead of the game.

clem, ekimneirbo, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  9. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

I will ask him for some pictures.

10. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

I was more iffy on this anyway to be honest. Its not like im going to be racing this thing around bends. He was making it out to be like it would be hard with the bags but my bag guy said it wouldnt be an issue. I already have a connection for someone who is going to chop the axle to make it fit passenger axles on both sides and re mount the shock pads. the bag guy said he could make it work in regards to removing the leaf springs and adding links? IDK

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

you cant beat the 9 inch in your car. Also you may be able 'overhaul' your 272 engine for very little money and still afford to buy higher performance. Go to some of the Y-Block forums to learn more.
    This is one-- http://www.y-blocksforever.com/ . I overhauled my 292 23 years ago and I still drive it. It had stuck pistons so I broke them out, honed, new pistons, bearings, gaskets, not expensive.
    you shouldnt talk about bags on this traditional forum,
    Re-use your engine and rear end, no bags but use a fully synchronized transmission with overdrive. You get out cheap

12. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

yeah he made it sound easy. Granted this guy i was speaking to has built a ton of redic stuff, i dont have the space tools or capabilities to do that. so ill prob stick with the solid rear axle on it. his main point was losing traction, and comfort but with bags itll be comfortable.

im working on getting pictures of the big block sent to me so i can check the spot of the oil sump. maybe this swap isnt the way to go

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The sump will be in the back on that 454.

14. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

well the 2800 i didnt find to bad considering to get my y block to a 302 and new intake new carbs etc would be about 5k. The rear end after hearing the responses on here ill prob forget that. Ive got an axle that i can use 8.8 inch ford. just have to get it chopped and suspension mounts re fitted.

15. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

my bag guy is a separate dude, known him for years.
    The engine i was planning on putting in myself. i dont mind installing stuff but as far as chopping and welding thats a no go for me. original plan is built y block, trans adaptor to a 6 speed auto.

JimSibley likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 9 inch axle in your car now is better than a 8.8. Just add the self adjusting parts to the brakes

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it’s the original 55, it’s not a 9”. They came out in 57. Ford used the Dana’s, mainly 44 (or that series) in the birds, trucks, wagons, and police cars prior to the 9” in 57. The original rear end would be toast with a big block, or even a good Yblock is you’re hammering it. Parts are also a problem on those.

18. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you intend on performing a power train swap into your 55 Ford, there are probably better options then the $2800 454. A small block Chevy or small block Ford might be a better option. If that same guy that happens to have that 454 to sell you is also the same guy that is suggesting that swapping in any IRS is easier then bolting in a solid rear end, I would have serious concerns about his honesty.

Not only is the position of the oil pan sump a concern, but the 454 also takes up more space (width an height) and probably adds more weight then the Y motor has. Exhaust, firewall clearance, hood clearance and other components clearance are also concerns, including cooling the 454, and stopping the 454. Then you need to add up the other parts required like a starter, trans, radiator, and a host of bolt on parts that probably don't come with the motor.

Add up all the costs and compare the numbers. Sometimes what appears to be a good deal isn't.

19. 6sally6

6sally6

Go Back.....stay the course of Ford in a Ford.
    351W engine are still somewhat plentiful .
    Or 351 crate motors are VERY plentiful. (And stupid torque compared to the 272....forget HP its TORQUE for street power.)
    Even a 5.0 engine with a 6 speed A/T will be a great street ride. High 20's MPG is my guess.
    6sally6

20. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

i dont think whats in there now is a 9 its a stock 55 one, looks pretty small tbh

choffman41 likes this.
  21. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

fair points. He said it was complete, but the main issues for me like you said are the fitments, and if thats the case ill just stick to having the y block built. That way i know i can drop it back in no problem. he never really said the IRS would be easier, he was just saying it would be more comfy and that i would have better traction and what not, talking about losing grip if one wheel does it effects the other and so forth, but im not planning on rallying the thing lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  22. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

i hear that. i will prob be sticking to the y block. Have it built to a 302, keep the original and cool factor. What gear ratio are you running in your diff? I was afraid of getting a 4 speed as i didnt wanna have 5k rpms on the freeway thats why i was looking at a 6 speed auto.

23. daniel gallocker

daniel gallocker

ive been leaning on a 6 speed for sure, i used some online calculator that took into account the diff i hae in the rear end waiting to go in, 3.73, plus 6 speed trans, wheel size etc and it predicted a cool 1800 rpms at 80-85 down the highway :)

24. SS327

SS327

Years back at the junkyard I used to work at there was a guy that was into 55-56 fords. But they all had to have Caddy engines in them. He would come to us and buy an engine and trans from a 67 and up Caddy we had to cut out the crossmember under the engine exactly where it was welded to the frame rails. He would then take the entire assembly and just bolt it into the ford transmission crossmember and all. He cut out the original ford crossmember of course. New drive shaft and exhaust were all he bought. It looked like a factory stock installation. He could do it in less than a day! I must have cut out 50 engines for him.

25. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I'm a Chevy guy but I wouldn't put a 454 in anything. I would stay original or 302/351 with AOD. Putting Corvette IRS in anything is a huge hassle so I'd stay away from that.

26. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

That right there is all you need to answer your question. If you do it you will always be thinking "it's not a ford motor in a ford"

27. Budget36

Budget36

2800 for a 454 is more than half way to a “collectible” Vette engine for a specific year model someone my want. Two years ago I met a Vette enthusiast and in talk I told him I had the power steering pump and bracket I’d never use from a ‘70 LS5 engine.
    When he came to pick it up he wanted to see the engine. I wasn’t selling and he wasn’t buying either, but he gave me a couple of websites, said to list it at 5k and I’d probably wing up in the low 4K range.
    I was thinking of picking up a 8? Liter engine from a pick and pull around the same time (there’s a point to this) to swap a tired 6.2 diesel out with. Figuring I’d have to have it rebuilt I starting looking at Summit for parts pricing. Oh my, was a deal breaker for me.
    But pistons, rings, bearings seemed like twice the price of a SBC.

daniel gallocker likes this.
  28. southerncad

southerncad

Yup, like most say, just build the Y-Block, and if your interested I have a 6x2 manifold for one for sale.

daniel gallocker likes this.
  29. tim troutman

tim troutman

drove my stock y block over 100 miles yesterday mostly 2 lane some interstate running 65 according to the gps 3200 rpm wasn't the fastest car more like the slowest. but for sure the coolest . if your motor is running well drive your car & enjoy it. find another y block motor to build when its done swap them. run fast & far away from the Vette rear end guy

daniel gallocker and SS327 like this.
  30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    I guess I'll continue my recent theme as...
    Truthmiester.
    I'm Mr Truthmiester.....I aint no funnnnn....
    All I can say Daniel your question is full of "Pie-In-The-Sky".....
    You and everybody who reads this knows that that car is never going to get IRS so...... forget it.
    It's not going to happen.
    BBC in a '55 Ford. Ehhh, Maybe but I don't see that happening either.
    There's just so much involved that you have no idea....no idea.

How about this?
    Just fix the car.

Why does it need to be beefed up?
    Does it run now?
    Why 5K?
    Why does need a new Transmission?
    [​IMG]
    It always happens that way. Usually with a tinny piano playing in the background. It always starts with.
    Mr., I met a man.
    From money that has not been spent????
    No, you'll be spending $2800 on essentially a pig-in-a-poke. (that means a pig you cant see in a sack, other words....something that is unknown or the true condition is unknown).
    What is known is you'll have to fork out a bunch of cash to cram this engine into that 55 Ford.
    $2800 is just the beginning of this rabbit trail.
    Oh yeah.. It just drops in.:rolleyes:
    It's hard enough to replace a Y block with....another Y block.
    I have swapped stuff before. I have swapped brands, transmissions...
    None of it's easy.
    None of it was drop in.
    There are always "hidden costs". It's never cheap and easy.
    ^^^^^^^Ahhhh, that is major work.

If that BBC is crammed in that car a Y block is never, ever going back.
    Why do you need a new rear axle?
    This fellow sounds like a genius.o_O
    I can tell. You have bought this fella's baloney, hook line and sinker.

Now you can be a mechanic. There's no reason you can't be.:D To fix an old car you have to be a mechanic or pay a lot of cash to someone who is.
    You learn.
    How about learning on this 55 Ford.
    Make it roll.
    Make it stop.
    Make it run.
    Make it light.

What is the present condition of this car?