Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what they worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freiertpc, Jun 15, 2014.

1. freiertpc

freiertpc

So I finally bought my own shop and i found some boxs of parts all N.o.S Gm,
    good thing is i like 50-60's gm cars and trucks because thats what they go to but i have a single box full of wheel cylinder rebuild kits and wondered if they were worth more because they are still in the original boxs.What you think.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe to someone who collects that stuff.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rubber products have a finite shelf life, whether it's an o-ring or whatever. I, personally, would not us those in my car. Ok to sit on the shelf for a display item but not recommended for use, in my opinion.

4. I think the boxes would be in better shape than the rubber parts.

Rubber breaks down even if it not exposed to sunlight. HRP

5. Squablow

Squablow

If they're just kits, they're probably only worth a couple dollars to someone who likes the box and wants to put them on the shelf, old rubber. But if they're rebuilt cylinders with the actual cylinder in there, those would sell, since you could put new rubber plugs in them and start with nice clean fresh wheel cylinder castings, especially for the oddballs where no new ones are being produced. Depends on what you've got.

6. Something else to watch for is: the new cylinders we get for the old ford brakes don't have the metal disk that backs up the rubber cups. If those kits have them, they may be something the chevy guys need. I got lucky and found and old EIS box at a bumper to bumper store and it had the two disk I needed to make my "brand new" wheel cylinders work properly. Tim

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Put them on Ebay. At the end of the auction you will know EXACTLY what they are worth.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

IMHO...probably not a whole lot. I thought that I was the only guy in the country to actually rebuild a w/cyl. From what I've read it's a throw away society. You may have a hard time finding any demand for the rebuild kits. 20 years ago sure but today not so much. Most guys will say to throw them away and buy new w/cyls The boxes might make great garage decorations. Many guys like the artwork from the past. I put a kit in my 56 Ford m/cyl Me? I'd probably wipe the cups down with brake fluid checking carefully for warped or distorted cups. You guys on the east coast be careful..I may be driving around endangering the whole east coast with my single pot rebuilt m/cyl.:D

9. freiertpc

freiertpc

They look and feel a-1 they still have powder on them to keep them from sticking I will be useing 8 of them anyway I have about 30 or so 'we will see how they work I will try and resize pics and post them for you to see

10. freiertpc

freiertpc

entire contents of 1 box

Attached Files:

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somebody might try to actually use the contents, so I wouldn't sell them. I think I'd dump the parts and try to sell a few of the boxes at a swap meet and see if anyone wanted them.

12. freiertpc

freiertpc

nope they work fine thanks for the concern though.

13. RmK57

RmK57

As long as they were stored from a heat source and not exposed to UV they should be fine.
    Iv'e got Boss 429 rubber O-rings manufactured in 1969 that are stored in a cool dark place
    and there like brand new.