Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the steerng setup you have used ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob in NH, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Power? Manaul?

and what mfg. was the box you used?

Mustang? Vega? etc//

I found a manual Nova 70-74 unit and it worked great just under the engine mount.., All it needed was 3-ea 1/2" thick spacers to hold it level to the inside of the rail., I have also heard of others using an old VW hippie bus manual box for Hotrods too.., Even Ford Broncos have a nice one that mounts on TOP of the frame rail..

[​IMG]

Dont worry those bolts are just holders so I could show ya..

[​IMG]

Together as cross-steering using a 71 JEEP double tie-rod end with the taper reversed and DOM stainless steel steering rods...

[​IMG]

any of you out there ever use something besides the NORM of a Vega or 65 Mustang manul box?

Rob's 1931 Chevy TUB 'EVELYN'

2. WE HAVE A GENIUS HERE !

3. skull63

skull63
    from seattle

rob thats a very interesting way to use a parrallel leaf front axle do you have any pics from different angle?
    i used a manual saginaw box with cross steer in my hot rod using the stock ford spindles it works very good . no need for p/s in a light car in my opinion.
    cool looking project you have .

skull

4. Sure do..

[​IMG]

Box is 70s Nova, I-beam is a 1966' Chevy Van, Good eye too, It was semi-elliptical springs now the pads serve as another purpose, Lower shock mount in black was the OEM Van sway-bar mount...

[​IMG]

Rods are all DOM stainless steel..

End that goes on Nova box is hardened and from a Jeep Commanche pickup (diced out of the center bar and threaded 3/4-16-L/H)

[​IMG]

Hows that?

Your looks GREAT too.. Any other shots?

Rob

5. skull63

skull63
    from seattle

thanks rob .mines a 37 fordp/u, built it in my 1.5 car garage it was a kick in the ass to build and just as much fun to drive .

looks like youre using air ride onthe front?

skull

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've used 60's Mustang...Vega...Chevelle...just depends on what I'm building.

7. last car ('30 a) was a vega with a early '70's postal jeep column (and wheel).

8. Please, would somebody do a post showing how to do the side steer mopar box?

I have a box, and think I have an Idea of how it'll work, but would like to see some pix! [​IMG]

Jay

9. Now that truck is a SWEET RIDE !

I just happened to find this car in a field, its been 3 years (one from a wheelchair) and a whole ton of junkyard huntin to get it to what you see, The most ever spent on it was the tires/rims (Christmas gift from wife)

The reason I asked about other steering boxes is because I am building my Dad a 35' Chevy Roadster pickup WOODY from a ROTBOX I saved from the crusher.., CO$T ? $100

Owner seen junk.. I seen GOLD

Already made about $400 on just stuff inside the body:
    Tank $80, Hubcaps $120, Front rims $100, OEM jack $150 etc..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only need the frame horns and the firewall to get something like THIS out of it.., Dad can do all the WOOD part.., Im the metal guy...

[​IMG]

On mine..

Yes my 31' has a 1966' Chevy Van I-beam with air-spring, Chevy never had the idea of a single transverse leaf spring from side to side.. only semi-elliptical, and you guys got DEM BONZ to spread out and mount on the sides.., I made my own mounting bars that connect to the leaf pad plates on the beam...

Oh and I like any ride from the 30's so dont think I'm all CHEVY, Just happened to be the car I am saving...

10. Rob, how did it go when you tapped the DOM stainless for your drag link and tie rod?
    Kind tough or not too bad?
    I make em out of DOM steel tubing with .156 wall drilled for the 11/16-18 tap.
    Been thinking about stainless ones, but haven't tried it yet.

Nice work by the way.
    I'd like to see a side view of the Bow Tie radius rods or whatever you call them.
    As well as how the springs are set up.

Here's a pic of SKULL63's steer box lightened up a touch.
    Hope that's ok....

Attached Files:

11. skull63

skull63
    from seattle

that woody pickup is goin to be a cool ride too.glad to see you savin as much old tin as you can.

c9 ,no problem .

skull

12. Quoted from C9
    ''Rob, how did it go when you tapped the DOM stainless for your drag link and tie rod? Kind tough or not too bad?''

Doh.. had a machinist do it since thats not an area where I would skimp on SAFETY.. Someone sugguested a local machinist...

Quoted from C9
    ''I make em out of DOM steel tubing with .156 wall drilled for the 11/16-18 tap. Been thinking about stainless ones, but haven't tried it yet.''

I would have loved to have been there when he threaded that hardened steel Jeep end to LH, He did it on a computerized lathe!

This stuff is 1" OD, The threads I forget.. 3/4-16 or 18? (it was really fine thread from the NORM).. its on the site.. That would be jumping to.. page 128!
    http://www.ammoman.com/CHEVY/Default_128.htm

Quoted from C9
    ''Nice work by the way.''
    Thank You!, Been a long haul.. But shes worth it...

Quoted from C9
    ''I'd like to see a side view of the Bow Tie radius rods or whatever you call them. As well as how the springs are set up.''

Ahh my SCISSOR LADDERS..., Go see all the IDEAS that came from my members and what I made.. That would be page 99!
    http://www.ammoman.com/CHEVY/Default_99.htm

This link to page 99 also get you past the PASSWORD page.., So if you continue to read the remaining pages you better bookmark it.. OK?

Rocket,
    Yes I have used that one before, the postal jeep box, nice small unit too.., it was on a VW sandrail back in the 80's, that car never needed another after destroying 3 VW boxes!

Regards
    Rob