Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What the hell would you do with a '60 Imperial coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Apr 17, 2012.

1. My dad has a derelict '60 Imperial (hasn't run in 5 years, and when it did it needed a PS pump, and brake work... the trunk leaked and now there may be rust in it, the back bumper had a small ding and, as usual, all the pot metal trim is slightly speckled, cloth interior, so it's shredded)... Overall it's in solid shape. When I drove it years ago, it was nice driver, ran good, no smoke.

He either wants to sell it, or I may end up with by default (it'll probably end up store at my place... forever before he gets serious about selling... ).

I need some inspiration to get me excited about a car that is 23 feet long, gets miserable gas mileage and parts are nonexistent, and it's got a face only a mother could love... It'd be an uphill battle with this one. Right now it's a non color... beige-ish... But the VIN says it was once a cool dark mauve metallic.

Attached Files:

2. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

I can't offer you any inspirational pics, but as an Imperial owner I can tell you that parts ARE out there. Plans for mine are just to get running, a bit lower and drive. You'll be the only one anywhere you go...

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

id sell that ugly thing. sell it to a guy that goes by outlaw256, hed love it.!!!! now on the serious side. id fix it and drive it everyday!!!i love them old boats. if you dont want it let me know.id be proud as hell to drive that thing.

5. mopar210

mopar210

i will submit somthing along the same line - if you want to sell that big old beautiful piece - let me know also , i love me those old "the face only a mother could love" cars . some day i am going to own a 1962 dart 2 door brown/beige bench seat grandma car and treasure it as i have my challenger for all these years . WHAT A COOL CAR you have there !

6. cakes

cakes

I say just clean it up and drive it, I love those big boats

7. Do THIS to it....

Attached Files:

8. Squablow

Squablow

9. Squablow

Squablow

Am I the only one that thinks that speedster Imperial was a waste of a good sedan? It's really well built, with great craftsmanship I'll admit, but to me, the proportions are off, a little too Shriners/clown car small to pull off the look, and the big inch orange wire wheels are straight up gross.

If they would have used 2 door hardtop length doors and some different rolling stock, maybe, but as-is, I'm not feeling it at all.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Drive around hunting for "Compact Only" parking spots. Park on top of any compacts found in them.
    Put on a fedora (not the current pinhead type) and drive down the interstate in fast lane at 38 MPH with left turnsignal stuck on and Larence Welk on the radio.
    Put on backward baseball cap and black T shirt and drive down the interstate at 120 in the slow lane with death metal on radio.
    Pull engine, build a front engine fueler around that and live in the hulk. Park your Smartcar in the trunk.

11. So Bruce, you've been to St Petersburg then.
    Mike go to www.forwardlook.com and take a look around.

12. tpw35

tpw35

Turn it into a gasser or paint it flat black with red wheels. Arent those the only 2 options nowadays.

13. ...or not.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Man what a boat. Imperials were the best road cars, and the best handling big cars of their times. Had all modern conveniences like V8, auto, air, PS, PB etc. They were also about the most expensive, thousands of dollars more than a Cadillac model for model.

A 60 Imperial in top shape would take you anywhere in American in comfort.

Possibly the best thing to do would be to put it back in commission, and give it a cool paint job and a set of wheels. Nothing further necessary.

15. I like it, just drive it!

16. Drop it and drive it!

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nothing wrong with a '60 Imperial that a little elbow grease won't solve...lower it, throw on some wide whites and 'caps, new interior, new paint, some polishing on the stainless and chrome and overhaul the engine/tranny and simply drive it...you definitely won't park next to another at the local cruise and you certainly won't see yourself coming atcha...

R-

18. Big disc brakes on the front, Dana 60 in the back with 11" drums, some wider rubber and 500+ inch stroker come to mind . . . keep it looking stock and have an awesome sleeper that rides like a dream.

19. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

please don't do this to it.

20. Yep! It looks goofy as hell.

21. Yep....never said I liked it. I agree with the looks. Makes me think "pedal car".

22. Are you kidding! I wish I had room for a car like that!
    American cars at their peak, BIG, mean, luxurious and chrome a go-go!
    Fix it and DRIVE IT.

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Drive it. Keep it. Love it.
    Heck, you could move into it if ya had to.
    I had a 63 Catalina we named "Sleepssix". Because it could.

24. Get the dern thing running, buff out whatever paint is left and just drive it.

You know you'd get some smiles from people out on the road. That thing is the antithesis of today's uniform econoboxes. It's big, bold, screw-you, in your face, Americana. It represents a time back before we were all being taught to walk around apologizing for everything.

And yeah....please don't F it up with the whole "speedster" treatment.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'm with RustyFords. No smartass remarks here on my part, but you just don't know what you have. The Imp was still actually an independent MAKE out of Chrysler Corp. in 1960. Yes, they were expensive as hell, but they were decked out with every amenity. A true land yacht from the era of true land yachts. Dude, the car is SCARCE as shit in the condition you show. If it honestly doesn't trip your trigger take the dough by selling it to somebody who will love and appreciate it.

26. Those cars are so amazing looking. Just get it back on the road please.

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Dude those are fantastic cars. Wire wheels on medium whites, slammed and cleaned up.
    Only drawback i see in ownin one is gas prices. Keep us updatd.

28. 73super

73super

Sell it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is. You may not like it but there are many out there that do. It's unusual, cool and could be a real cool cruiser for someone willing to spend their time on it. It should be preserved and on the road.

Just my 2 cents.