Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What the hell, the mount where my steering ram mounts at the frame on my 59 El Camino is broken

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, May 16, 2014.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I heard a bang under my car as I was driving it and the end of the power steering ram had broken in two, when I looked at the mount it too is not just broken but totally sheared upwards with great force. I had noticed a couple of years ago that were stress cracks there which I welded up, I hadn't looked underneath since then except when I replaced the power steering ram a few months ago. I have no idea what could have caused this. I'm going to replace the steering box with a 500 power steering box and be done with it.
    If anyone has this happen to them I'd like their input, thank you.

2. Me too. My '59 Wagon has factory power steering. Nadeen, were you doing anything that would have stressed it or just cruising along?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Same thing happened to me about 10 years ago on my '60... Must be a design flaw of some kind, but I'm not smart enough to know what it is.

4. Same situation happened to me on my '57 Fuelie Bel Air hardtop a long time ago..
    I heard a rattle developing in the lower front end on rough roads so I drove into my local Cadillac Pontiac dealer downtown, Moody Motors to see my go-to guy, Fred.
    Fred lifted the front end up, grabbed a huge arc welder and burned the ram bracket together.
    Never gave a problem afterwards. Fred told me it was a common ailment on GM ram cylinder p.s. setups.
    Flawed casting and weak point in the frame he explained to me.
    That was back in the mid to late 60's era. 1957 Chevy Bel Air  reduced size.jpg Fuelie Bel Air Engine reduced size.jpg

5. Zerk

Zerk

The conversion to integral PS would eliminate a few failure points, mechanical and hydraulic. Do the conversion kits reinforce the frame where the new steering box mounts, or is it unnecessary?

6. slammed

slammed

The '61 has factory power steering also stress cracked the frame. After the cracks where stopped and welded, plates (to double the areas) were welded to the frame horn. Paper thin frame at the tip of horn along with all the holes made it a design flaw.

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Thanks for the replies fellas, I've had several 59-64 Chevys, but all except my 1962 Impala SS were manual.
    broken frame.jpg

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think the 500 bolts on, but I don't suppose it would hurt to reinforce it.