Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What the hell??? I bought a corvette, purists stand back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Mark, please don't do it man, heck restore the Impala to match it....................................naw, just screwing with you man.
    Anything has to be better than a stock Vette! Zoom on....

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You got it made sweetie!! :cool:

3. I want to watch this one. Subsribed

Mark, you've got it made!

4. Hope you dont mind, zman, so without risking offending the purists, ill just quote you.
    Marks work always spins my crank.

5. vetrod62

vetrod62

Here we go again, trashing Corvette guys again. but despite the fact that I own two 1962 vettes, I hate those vette guys also. Nice score. Do what you want. To me, the only reason to own a vette is to go fast.

I bought my second 62 in 2003 because the NHRA would not let me race my other car. (1000 HP) Not enough safety equipment. It was a 62 survivor (meaning all original stock) car. I have made over 60 modifications to the car since then. But it pleases me.

If you want hints to make it fast and not break, let me know. 45 years of racing these cars.

Pix of when I bought the car and 6 months later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I wondered how long it would take for you to chime in,61 & 62 are bitchin cars

7. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Mark's idea, Mark's car, Mark's money, Mark's talent...it's a no brainer. Scallops would be cool I think. Caddy or Olds engine, Lucas lights, six tail lights....sounds good.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yeah man! you could play Duke just like in the movies!

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

It's interesting you say that since a dude on another thread is getting all kinds of shit because he's hopping up a bone stock Model A that's "too nice to hot rod" and being told things like "it's only original once".

Where does the line get drawn anyway?

While my sentiments might go one way or another depending on the car, THIS IS A FUCKING HOT ROD FORUM... shit's going to get cut up no matter how nice it is.

I like hot rods. :)

10. yes.... roll bar no windshield back to single headlites or squared ones and a rear seating in the trunk

or a headrest pod or two

teaser you won't do it will ya who's car is it ? ya teaser..

11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well, I'm a bit of a 'vette nut and daydream about owning a C1 in that condition, but.... it's yours, and judging from the Impala it'll come out fine. I'd cruise it as is, myself though.

12. Toner283

Toner283

Looking forward to updates Mark, I have no doubt it will be cool.

I have one question though, I thought you were out of room? Did you knock down a wall? or (heaven forbid) sell something?

And to the naysayers - it is a Corvette, they made thousands of them. There are plenty of restorers to save some of them, there should be hot rodded ones too.

Here are a couple of pics of custom vettes for a little inspiration. I would have posted a pic of the Xsonic but someone already did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bonesy

bonesy

I love it. Its nice to see a mild custom.

The gassers and radical customs are neat, but I think you nailed a great look as is. Way to go.

14. Hey, it's your car, do it the way you want to! I personally would build a "gasser" or a "rally" car. (my .02)

15. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Go for Mark,what you have planned can be changed back to stock easy enough by the next guy.It's only fiberglass.

16. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I love vettes and have since I was a kid. I'm always looking for a good 56-57 project car. I cant wait to see the progress.

17. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Clark Rader's car from many moons ago. Oh, and Linda Vaughn.

Attached Files:

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Vettes nice man, but ur impalas flipping killer!

19. cakes

cakes

i just wish that i could fit in one with a stock steering wheel, I say a nasty high revving small block 4 speed dog box and some mid 60s style road race suspension through some numbers on the door and drive the wheels off of it. oh yeah and a removable hard top

20. vetrod62

vetrod62

Any time I can influence some one to treat these old cars the way they were meant to used, I will sound off. 80% of these cars were raced in the day. It makes me sick to see them put on some kind of pedestal as a Museum piece. Hey, were factory hotrods just waiting for modifications that Chevy sold over the counter.

21. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

In the late 80's I drove my 74 vette all year round, to hell with those that don't like it, it is not their money. Do what you want and enjoy it.
    PS, love the Impala.

22. I guess your free to do whatever you want with it, but hacking it up as you say, just to be able to claim that you customized it is in my opinion a lame excuse. Those cars in Toners post are hideous and perfect examples of complete idiots who claim to be customizers. Maybe im risking to be labeled a purist but I believe some things deserve respect and the corvette is one of them. Theres very little you can do to improve on that car. Judging from the look of your Impala I would say you at least have some decent sense about you so hopefully you wont make a mockery of it. But if you do, then I will at least get a good laugh.

23. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Sweet rides, I had a 61' bubbletop in high school. Love to have it back!

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Friken' sweet!

25. coveless yessssss.

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You have terrible taste. I think you're on the wrong site.
    A Ferrari deserves respect. It is designed and handbuilt by passionate craftsmen to be fast, beautiful, and exclusive.

A Corvette is just another mass-produced Chevrolet, designed to generate profit for GM.

Take a look at any enthusiast magazine from the '60s and let me know how many date-coded hose clamps you see on the featured Corvettes. They were just CARS, and lightweight, good looking hot rod material. You make it sound like they came to us as museum artifacts. Please.

Mark, put square headlights in it, hahahahaaaaa...

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's a '53-55, they came coveless. :)

28. Toner283

Toner283

That red first gen was customized when it was nearly new & made the rounds until it was not a fresh car anymore. Then like a lot of old customs it kind of faded away. it was eventually found in piss poor condition beside a riverbank and restored to its former glory.

http://www.mccainautomotive.com/1953CorvetteSerial77.htm

There already lots of stock corvettes & this is the HAMB. Customize the sucker!!:cool:

29. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Like I always say, "it's all a matter of taste" .
    Nice Vette, looks good!

30. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

My take is that it's your car and your money you can do whatever the flip you want.