Register now to get rid of these ads!

what the hell hapend to my truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped&Dropped, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Chopped&Dropped

Chopped&Dropped
    from Salt City

So this morning I was driving noth on I15 from my house to a school about 30 miles away. Everything was going great truck was running great, motor was about 192deg and the oil pressure was just over 40psi voltage at 14volts. I have about 5 miles to go I am just getting of the interchange and all of a suden my truck feels like I am towing some big ass heavy trailer and I start to slow down, I hit the gas to try and regain speed but my attempt failed and I continued to loose speed and then the motor started to back fire through the carb. I was able to make it to my exit and rolled to a stop at the red light. I put the truck in neutral and reved the motor, nothing sounds out of place, the light turned green and I put her in second gear and started to go. I was doing ok nothing seemed to be wrong I was able to shift thru 3rd and 4th with no problem no drag feeling anymore. I was able to make it to my destination. Once I was finnished I decided to head home via a state road that had a lower speed limit so if I was going to have any more trouble I would be able to get off safely. Once I got to about 5 miles from home I stared to feel the same thing as before drag and popping from the carb and a slowing truck with a double trailer deisel behind me comming up quick. I was able to get off the freeway and down the ramp to the red light. Once at the light I put the truck into neutral and gave her a rev, nothing seemed wrong. The light turned green and I was able to make it home with no other issues. So what the hell happened????? I have no idea of even where to start. Please HELP!

2. squirrel

squirrel

might start by telling us what kind of truck it is, engine, trans, etc. Otherwise we'll have not a clue.

3. Chopped&Dropped

Chopped&Dropped
    from Salt City

1963 Chevrolet C10. It has a 283ci and a four speed on the floor. I am not sure the trans name.

4. squirrel

squirrel

plugged fuel filter? loose wire on the ignition? something getting hot? bad condensor? coil? ballast resistor? crap in the gas tank?

5. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

check spark plugs or change.check points.

6. Arkansas Tom

Arkansas Tom
    BANNED
    from Phoenix

I had a 63 Nova that had a 2 speed power glide tranny. One day out of the blue It was low on tranny fluid and dropped into low gear once I hit about 40 mph. Of course I slowed down real quick when that happened. I put two quarts of fluid in her and it never happened again. Sounds about the same. But like the last guy said, with out knowing what engine, trans ect. Who knows?

7. Sounds like a clogged fuel filter. If it were an overheated coil, it likely wouldn't restart until the coil cooled off.

It's also possible that something is shorting to ground in the distributor, but not enough to kill it.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

fuel filter is the first thing, then maybe the fuel pick up thats where i would start. lot's of good info on here. jus pic some out and start. and let us know what it was please!

9. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

X4 on fuel filter, and a pressure gauge is not going to help.
    At idle, the clogged filter will pass enough gas to catch up.
    Notice that it cures itself after idling, a sure giveaway.

If you can hook up your filter backwards, run it into a
    catch can, and turn it over a little, all kinds of crap should come
    out of it, enough to clear it out a little and to get you to the store.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

start with the fuel system first and trouble shoot it completely from tank to carb..(filter is a possiblity ..or pick up tube screen in tank)
    once you go thru that, and deem everything passable with the fuel system (including the carb, it might have shit in it now if you picked up a slug of crap out of the tank)
    than move on to ignition system

11. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Sounds like something is getting hot/building up high resistance in the timing/distributor-check those circuits and check your coil/ i think if your fuel filter were clogged, it would happen alot more often or at least be more consistant.

12. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

One more thing, check all your grounds/ground straps as well.

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Clogged fuel filter?????????

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon Squirrel, telling a guy to crap in his fuel tank is wrong. I know its funny to see but lets be adults here.:rolleyes:

It sounds like a fuel feed problem, if the filter is ok go over the whole fuel system, what type of pump do you have? It may be going bad?

Doc.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS, Please tell me you havent shit in the tank before? If so I just found the problem.....

16. That's funny stuff!

Chopped: Fuel flow problem, most likely filter as others have stated. Backfiring comes from lean condition under load.

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I keep seeing that scene from the movie "Me Myself and Irene", where he's pissing in the gas tank of the car for parking in the handicapped spot, and then the old man comes out of the store and yells at him "Get your cock outa my Chrysler!!!" :D

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A couple more things for the list: Cracked or loose hose at tank, pulling air into the line or a plugged vent.

19. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

I am laughing my ass off right now!!

But seriously, could it be a vapor lock of the fuel line? I was having a similar issue with the Acadian and after insulating the fuel line it hasn't ever re-occured

20. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Start with the easy stuff - fuel cap.......is the vent working?

21. if it's not the fuel filter...

next time it does it, feel the coil, should be uncomfortably warm , not unbearably hot.

do you have a ballast resistor before the coil?

22. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

If your getting an honest back fire through the carb, its not a lack of fuel issue. If its a stumbling or hesitation, then I would say fuel. Im leaning toward a timing issue. If it only happens under load, it could be the advance in the distributor.

Again, if you are really getting a back fire through the carb (the kind that pops a power valve) its not a lean condition (lack of fuel) its timing. Generally, a pop through the carb is an advance condition, through the exhaust would be a retarded condition.

Im thinking it jumped time a tooth(is it the stock nylon gear?) or the vacuum advance.

or...I could be way off and its fuel like everyone else is saying :)

Rob

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Classic fuel starvation. Backfire is from extreme lean mixture with throttle butterfly open. Something where reduced flow from slowing down and idling allows carb bowl to refill. Next time, until you figure it out, the instant you feel the symptoms coming on, take an aspirin...........oops, that's another problem. Next time when the condition arises, slow down immediately, take tranny out of gear, let motor idle, then resume travel at a somewhat lower speed. More likely causes, fuel pump, kinked line, partial clogged line, or as squirrel stated, and DocWatson pointed out, "crap in the gas tank", but I'm sure he meant that as a cause, not a cure:cool:

24. phukinartie

phukinartie

I had a problem like that once one of the fuel lines seperated and it would pinch itself shut under load

25. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Could be clogged fuel filter,bad fuel pump,poor charging system,vapor lock in the fuel system (faulty or non-vented gas cap)

26. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I agree 100%

27. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup did that one time. It happened when I hit a pothole, truck bogged down and died. The jolt caused the primary bowl float to hang up in the full position, ran the gas out of the bowl, truck died, float dropped back down, truck ran fine like nothing happened.

28. john walker

john walker

fuel filter check first. consider vapor lock too. is the fuel line near a heat source? i run electric pumps back by the tank on most of my cars. way less chance of vapor lock with an electric pump.

29. junior51

junior51

Check the springs in the dist, could be worn or streched and over advancing at highway speed,

30. Chopped&Dropped

Chopped&Dropped
    from Salt City

Brand new timming gears and chain timming and dwell is set points fairly new and condenser I am not sure about.