Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the hell am I going to do with this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Mountian motor.

2. DWest

DWest
    from Missouri

I used the body of one for a dirt track car once, it would fly even if it was butt ugly, lol

3. Smokey2

Smokey2

I always wanted a Valient But the prices
    have gone completly outof my range.....
    Quess I'll have to settle fer a '32 Roadster, Huh?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. UniqueCollector

UniqueCollector

Heck if you weren't in texas I would make an offer for the beautiful thing

5. Dave Walker

Dave Walker

Via the '35, which I've always thought was wonderful!

[​IMG]

But I always loved the Valiant too, so what do I know?

6. raymay

raymay

Freshen up the wheels and some dog dish hubcaps and drive it as it is.
    OOOR, do it up like a Police car. Now that would be different.

7. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Big Daddy Ed Roth liked them.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

there's a red one daily driven near my work. always catches my eye! as far as it being ugly, well; has anyone actually LOOKED at what's on the roads these days? that Valiant is practically a beauty queen compared to 99.75% of what i see out there.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Early Valiants only came with the 170 cu in six, the 225 was reserved for the large cars like Belvederes and Coronets. But the 225 will fit. Its block is 1" taller than the 170, really the engine is only 1/2" taller because of the slant.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

got mopar written all over it...

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

This.

12. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

always used to call that era mopars "cattle spookers" so ugly they could spook cattle just driving past. a face only a mother could love.

13. elba

elba

There was one at Quaker CityDragway ( Salem Ohio ) in the 60's that ran in the 14's. I think it was owned by the Tackett Brothers. I think it ran F/MP and one the U.S. Nationals one year.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a friend who built a serious six cylinder drag car in the early 60's out of a two door. He had an aluminum block in it. After he sold it to a classmate of mine in trade school the kid that bought it won a lot of street races with it. They can be built to scream.

15. ty166

ty166
    from illinois

id get it street worthyand drive the snot outta it just the way it is.

16. cooljunk

cooljunk

Not quite the same but close.
    Jim Gilson 2012 points champion, Great Lakes Gassers

[​IMG]

17. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Hey, is that the aluminum slant 6 in there? the bigger 225 can be bored and stroked out, somewhere I have the 1969 Hotrod magazine articles on doing inline 6's...but check out MoparAction magazine's website, they'll give you enough suspension tricks to keep you happy.

I always wanted to find a free one of these, leave the patina, make a V8 surpriser out of it.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When my dad left B-47's and went to train in the B-52. He took the family car with him to California (a '57 New Yorker with a 392 Hemi BTW). Before he left he wanted to leave a reliable car for my mother. being a Mopar man he thought a 170c.i., 3spd manual Valiant would be just the ticket. The only other car we had was my '49 Ford 2dr business coupe that I had just put a built Flathead in got it running like a top. His further wisdom deemed that if he took my '49 and traded it in on the Valiant it would give my Mom a reliable car in his absence and without the Ford around I would be less likely to get in trouble racing or getting tickets by being a typical teenager with a car.
    In retrospect the plan did have is merits but every time I got behind the wheel of that car I beat the crap out of it. Giving it it's due I can't believe how much punishment it could take and come back for more. Four years later when I got married they gave it to me still running like a top. It was my wife's and my only car for 2 years until I saved the down payment to buy a SS396 Chevelle and resume my car addiction.

19. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

One of my Dad's Lancers was a '62 with a factory aluminum 225 and the hood closed. There doesn't seem to be much difference between Lancers and Valiants beyond bumpers, grills, tailights and gingerbread. Should fit.

20. I have the dog dish caps if you need them....

21. guitard

guitard

Some of this $&!# is hilarious. I'm a Mopar guy (sometimes despite my better judgement) and drive a leanin' tower pretty much daily. Have some time this afternoon, I'll poke around and see what I've got. That Nascar val is cool. More pics coming...

It's behind the 48 Plymouth and OT 74 'runner for anything other than "get it running & drive it" but the ideas are fantastic. It's a big help... you know she's SO odd looking face to face it's hard to get past that to all the fun you could have... I'm thinkin' some of you guys relate.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This is gonna sound kind of redneck but I think it would be kind of cool on a 4x4 running gear sittin up high with big wheels and tires, or something like this stock car lookin model...............or a roadster with some kind of open frontend treatment [​IMG]

23. guitard

guitard

You can scratch "Kind of"... that's definitely redneck. But another cool idea I'd never thought of. And heck, I'm in Texas. I've seen step bumpers on hunting blinds and weed wacker engines on blenders. I know guys whose last words were "Watch this..." :D

So the little road toad has a 170 (Block #2202843-5). Spare head, manifolds, 3 carbs, 4 distributors, starter, coils, and a bunch of points and other stuff in boxes. Pulled the nappy shag out of the trunk, some pinholes but not bad. This weekend I'll clean out the interior.

And BTW a 36 Ford is still Cheryl Tiegs next to this...

Attached Files:

24. guitard

guitard

Wife: "When did that new Valiant get here?"
    Me: "Wow... did the Mopar Fairy come again?!"
    Wife: "I guess so."
    Me: "Is it bigger than a bread box?"
    Wife: "Yep."
    Me: "Is it so ugly it could be a modern art masterpiece??"
    Wife: "Yep."
    Me: "Amazing! You know I just knew something magic was gonna happen when I put that old spark plug under my pillow..."

Classic.

25. My suggestion, drop it down about 3-4 inches, just get it running and drive around. Not worth doing any real work to it. But the price was right, the body seems straight and looks complete. So fix the small stuff and make it safe to drive.

26. JEM

JEM

Let us know how the doors, rockers, and floors are. That'll put some bounds on the cost element of the discussion.

But, crap, that trunk looks better than most '70s Mopars did off the dealership lot.

While I happen to think the '36 Ford was a pretty attractive car for its day I'll repeat my earlier comment that this design is the only turn-of-the-decade Virgil Exner Mopar shape that doesn't leave me bilious.

27. guitard

guitard

Bilious! Great word.

This is the Charlie Brown Christmas tree of cars.

I couldn't let it get crushed and it had to come home. Not one part or piece of trim is missing, after sitting for years in a Mopar-centric junkyard. They didn't even want its parts... for seasons it sat sinking while Darts and Chargers and Dusters and even Imperials gave their best.

All I know is with this parked nearby, the '67 Valiant 4-door looks downright sexy.

God bless my wife, I'm the cat lady of unwanted Mopars!

Attached Files:

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The biggest reason most of these were parked...........bad ballast resisters. Mom and Dad both had early darts, and kept a couple ballast resisters in the glove boxes. When the car didn't start, change the BR and be on your way.

Lancers had the 225 as Plymouth was the economy car and Dodge the "performance" brand. Dad had an early 225 in a Dart. It went back to the dealer several times because the rings wouldn't seat and it would push oil at about a quart every 200 miles. Finally got the rings seated and the thing went for 215K miles with no further issues, except for a valve job. I had a 62 Lancer GT 2 door Hard top 225 three speed that was a great car. Had the 2bbl intake and the three on the floor. Put a hurst shifter in and some wide soft rubber recaps on the rear, and cleaned up the sock eliminator class one summer. Ran mid to low sixteens and with the lights on the tree for J/stock we were killer. That was back in the day when you ran everyone and the XMass tree was programed to give slower cars their start first. A lot of wins cam from A and B stockers red lighting. If I didn't win the eliminator, my buddy in his 194 Chevy II did.

Glad you saved it have fun.

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Glad you saved it. If I was near you it would be in my yard not yours, assuming you would sell of course.