Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what ta do......what ta do....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Oct 13, 2013.

1. COOP

COOP

Back in '60 as a teenager I built an orange '31 coupe with a 324 olds in it. The car was not chopped but heavily channeled. Was never really finished. I ran around the streets with it and raced it on weekends at the Ubly dragstrip. Got maried in '65, so family put it in someone elses hands. Over the years I have built several hot rods but always wanted to re create my first one. Years have passed and I'm 70 and don't move as fast as I used to, or move at all like I used to. About a year ago I stumbled on a really cheap glass A roadster. I put a chassis together with the obligatory tri powered small block chevy with a 5 speed. Don't really like fussin' with the body, wooden floor and firewall, and tryin' to brace it up. Then something really strange happened. A son of one of my schoolmates picked up a '31 coupe in some kind of swap. The body is in amazing shape. It's on an original chassis but someone has welded a really heavy floor pan in it. I asked him what he was going to ask for it and he told me about two grand. I mentioned that I had been looking for one of these for a long time but due to the many unfinished projects and my age, along with the fact that my wife is in poor health and requires a lot of my time, I declined the sale. Then I got thinking that the chassis was just about finished for the A roadster, all I had to do was pull off the glass one and set the tin one on. After all an A is an A. I went back to him and told him what I had in mind but found out that he was going to keep it for a project for him and his son. I thought that this was the end of it. Nope... he then came up with a proposal. He said he would give me the body. What the hell...... What he said was that I could build the car any way I wanted to. His interest and mine are quite the same. The only stipulation was that if I decided to get rid of the car I had to sell it to him. Less the $2000 that he wanted for the body in the first place. If something happened to me he would buy the car from my wife. He knows that I would give him a fair price. I thought about it for a couple of days and was going to do it..... but then reality set in. With a chevy engine and stick it wouldn't be the same. I have a 303 Olds engine but it needs a lot of work. I would have to change all the mounts and tear the whole chassis apart to re-do it. As of right now I told him I think I'm gonna pass. But he told me that he wouldn't get to it for at least 5 years, and if I wanted, I could get it anytime I wanted. I'm really torn on this one. I know that the old '30-'31 bodys are getting hard to find and getting more expensive. My problem is the time factor and my abilities. I have many friends that would love to help me, but I can't let myself do that. Decisions-decisions.......... crap........ stuck in a rut.

2. F&J

F&J

Get up and get going. Friends may have fun as well.

Sit home and get more down?

It's not the destination, it's the journey...or something like that :)

I was a bit where you are, but I am chasing another cool car I don't need. I'm recharged again, even if I am dog tired.

there's 4 olds powered rods in the shop, not all mine, but nice to know they are there

3. Be honest with yourself,your 70 years old,your wife needs your time and it takes time and money to build another car,,you have several now don't you?

I'm not trying to be a killjoy rather the voice of reason.

With this being said, only you can make that decision. HRP

4. F&J

F&J

Sorry but I disagree.

I've many OLD duffer friends in the same spot with ailing family to look after.

Sure, some people thrive on giving health care to others, but that is not the question here.

An 80 yr old friend who can't restore "one car a year" anymore,... I just set him up to help a widow sort a car hobby estate. He is thrilled to get into the hobby in a tiny way again. I can't do it myself and he wants to help me help her.

If you surround yourself with a loved ones problem, and give yourself no relief, you will not be good at anything. You will wither and die

There is plenty to do on a build that costs very little. I do it all the time. I don't buy anything new

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's an idea, Coop. Make it a team effort. Either with the guy you'd buy the body from, or a guy or two who you trust and enjoy being around. Maybe a middle aged guy and a youngster. It'd be good. Just set the stipulations ahead of time.

I've said it before...

The experience and wisdom of age,
    Mixed with the energy and enthusiasm of youth,
    Seasoned with mutual respect,
    Makes a satisfying recipe for all involved.

All the best to you...and your wife.

6. Leave the chassis alone, Chevy tri power 5 speed and all and just swap the body like your original plan. Get her on the road and use the A to chase parts for your olds!!!!

Do it while you can and don't cut your friends out of the fun or joy they would get out of helping their friend, you.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2.

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My 2 pennies....

Better to have the one you love than to go through life missing out on it. Life is short, pay someone to help build it faster if you can. If you have stuff around, sell what ever you'll still be happy without.

I spent three weeks, bought four different carburetors and two rebuild kits. I am messing with them for now but only because I am enjoying learning experience. I could have bought a newly rebuilt one ready to be mounted, been ahead three weeks time, all the work I did and probably have less cash invested.

9. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Gentlemen like you, and the idea of your youth in that era, are a big part of the reason I love this hobby. I love the history I wish I could've seen... Get that car. Who the hell cares of you don't have the time. Go out when you can and look at it... Smile and enjoy yourself... My hats off to you sir

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!