Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What suspension to use on my 1955 F100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46mopar, Sep 5, 2011.

?

What suspension should I use?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2011.
  1. Stock with drop axle,disc brake swap and pulled leafs

47.4%
  2. Mopar/ Volare

13.2%
  3. Mustang II

39.5%
  1. 46mopar

46mopar

Well I got my next project on its way to the house in the next couple weeks. I talked my Dad into letting me build the 55 F100 I picked for him awhile back. I've got just about everything for this project planned out with the acception of the front suspension. I know I want the truck to have decent stance and ride. Power steering is not a necessity but good brakes are.

Here's what I have been thinking.
    1. Drop axle and pull every other leaf out of the spring pack. Add a disc brake swap.

2. Mopar/Volare sub

3. Mustang II kit

Looking for pro/cons, past experiences, links and pics.

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

If I had the $$$$ to buy whatever front end I wanted , I would get a Mustang II front end kit from one of the many good suppliers out there that sells them . You can get much better disc brakes and up grades for them ! They are made for your application so there is no guess work .
    This is just my opinion !

Retro Jim

3. 117harv

117harv

Your first thought is the winner.

4. 46mopar

46mopar

Added a poll.

5. Aerostar van--saw one under a '54 Ford pickup, worked well, cheap and plentiful in the junkyards, parts readily available, any tire store can align it.

6. They say that your first reaction is usually right! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

7. 46mopar

46mopar

If you can show me some info on the Aerostar swap I'd like to take a look. I've seen the Crown Vic Swap and it looks easy but I don't like the idea of how wide it looks. I had issues with my old mopar. I had to run a wheel with negative offset to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders. I don't want that again.

8. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

Use a Jag it has good brakes and steering geometry and fairly easy to install.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

GM G body , but use an FE motor

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Not on your poll ... but IF I were not going with the dropped axle and a few leafs removed ( First Choice :) )
    I would go with the XJ6 suspension

Go here for more info

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451036

With just a little shopping and planning ... the Jag XJ6 swap should cost less than the new parts to go disc brakes and a dropped axle.

12. hotcargo

hotcargo

as Mitchsfab said ,

JAGUAR ......XJ6 series 2 or 3

whole better concept , good brakes , steering , in the weeds stance , easiest to fit ...............all in one package

cheers

Steve in Oz

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A/A Jag XJ6 or 12 is the way to go. Rails only need some slight modifications and top shock mounts needs to be fabricated.. Power R&P, Chev bolt pattern and parts are readily available.

14. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Another from the bottom of the earth who reckons you cant go wrong with a Jaguar xj6 front end. Get a Series 11 or series 111. Not the new model that started around 1987/88 up your way - called the xj40 down here.

Apparently its unbelievably easy to fit the Jag into an F100 chassis & it sits right. Look up the search function as Im pretty sure there a whole tech on a 58 F100 and that must be a pretty similar chassis

EDIT
    The reference Deuce Roadster mentioned is the one I was thinking about. Maybe I should read stuff before I post stuff

15. Jag, all the way.

16. 46mopar

46mopar

Wow didn't know the JAG front ends were so popular. I know were one has been sitting for quite sometime. The car is missing the rear already so I might be able to get it fairly cheap. Doubt there is very many in the junk yards around my way. The Chevy bolt pattern is a bummer but I do have an s10 rear laying around.

17. toddc

toddc

18. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

1 vote for jag front and rear

19. Another vote for the Jag here ... I have put several under early pickups / Rods and run one in my '53 F100 .

20. derbydad276

derbydad276

21. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

None of the above. I know several guys with Crown Vic front stubs and they love 'em. I guess they aren't all that hard to do.

22. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Well I'll be the odd one here which is nothing new but I voted Volare. I have one under my 54 F100, pretty smooth ride and you can adjust the ride height somewhat through the torsion bars.

My second choice if I was to do another would be the Crown Vic.

23. Larry T

Larry T

It kind of depends on how you're gonna use the pickup, doesn't it? And you didn't tell us that.

I'm still going to use mine as a trailer queen. That is to PULL a trailer, so I still want something that is truck stout. I'd really like to use a Dakota front end, but messed around and didn't get a crossmember before they quit making them, so I think I'm gonna go with a dropped and updated stock front end in mine.
    Larry T

JeepsterRick likes this.
  24. 46mopar

46mopar

I did forget to add I plan to use my truck as a truck.

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

I would go with the straight axle then. Check Mid Fifty. Down and forward, with a 57 axle will give around 4'' drop. Disc brake kit. Power steering Toyota or GM cross steer. Bronco II anti roll bars are almost a bolt in for this [front and rear].

26. uc4me

uc4me

I went the solid front axle, with disc brakes and stock springs on my 55. It works well, although getting it aligned was a pain in the ASS.

I used a CPP axle that was no where near where it was supposed to be as far as the camber was concerned ( 1.5-2 degrees off on the left and 1.25 off on the right).

After all was said and done, it would have been cheaper (and better in my opinion) to send the original axle to the droppedaxles.com guy and had it stretched and trued.

here is a comparison shot of stock vs. my truck with the 4 inch drop front axle (it also has a rather heavy 429/c6 engine/trans) and a ford 9 inch flipped ontop of the springs (that brought the rear down about 6 inches)

I have been toying with the idea of the jaguar ifs swap

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Straight axle all the way. My '51 F1 has a Cordoba unit in it that the previous owner installed which is nice, but I just like the clean looks of the straight axle better and may eventually convert. My '56 F100 (see avatar) had a straight axle with reversed eye springs and it got down there nicely with a set of 60s tires. Plus its easier to drop the pan if you have a straight axle in there.

28. I would vote for the mustang 2,but to each his own.If I had it to do over again I would never keep the strait axle,for me it rides like crap.I would ride in or drive a truck with all three types and decide from there.
    If you do go with the solid axle take it from me and DONT USE the mono-leaf.