Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. morange

morange

In the 60's in Toledo, it was all the "White Hut" drive inns.

2. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

We used to cruise E. Valley Parkway in Escondido and it had a long history. The cops finally stepped on the neck of the cruisers and shut it down for years, with jackbooted enforcement. All of a sudden when it became politically correct and other towns found they could make money having cruise nights, Escondido decided to start up "Cruising Grand". All of the organizers played it as if they were the original inventers of the wheel on cruising in Escondido.

Sure, still fun times, but politics are a mother fu.....

Prior to that it was cruising Liberty St./Hwy 54 in Mexico Missouri. There was a Hardees at each end of town and it was the turn around point on both ends.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Remember Jack's Blue Onion Drive-in?

4. beauishere

beauishere

In Honolulu, Kalakaua Avenue for tourist girls & Hotel Street to tease the hookers.

5. beauishere

beauishere

6. MERC 55

MERC 55

Hwy 3 and the Pioneer drive Inn La Marque Tx

7. Kingshighway in Rolla Mo.

8. bonesy

bonesy

I remember south Eubank - It was a few years later than your timing - but I raced there many times.

9. the lights

the lights

for me it was Mchenry , Modesto Ca.

10. waeman

waeman
    from maryland

Dual Highway (such a clever name) witch everbody just refered to as the Dual. Thats where the burger joints were , thats were your friends were.Hagerstown ,Md

11. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

hmmm i cruised a few streets over were i live we have florence ave and whittier blvd i usualy did whittier tho

12. Mattoon Illinios, Broadway, early '80's. Only time I got a holler or thumbs up was when I was in my '65 Chevy pickup short stepside, five colors of faded black. The hood was off because I had scattered an engine, breaking in the replacement, on extended leave time while in the USAF.
    Little Rock, Geyer Springs Road. Super Shops had a store at 8517 Geyer Springs Road. LRPD had undercovers everywhere. A murder shut down the whole deal.
    North Little Rock, Burns Park and Camp Robinson Road. Just like all the others, condemned by personal irresponsibitities.

13. dgc15

dgc15

I was cruzin the same route from '60 up to about '64. Had a blue 51 chevy and later, a green and white 55 chevy. Wish I had both of them back!! Don't forget about going out to the "cutoff" on the Mt Lemon Hwy to drag race. The cattle guard was the finish line. Had to hide from the cops, more than a few times. Went to Catalina High and got out in '62. Those were the good times!

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The town Squirrel lives in now....

Does that make me cool?

:D

15. Back in the 80's here in Colorado Springs the cruise spot was Nevada Ave. I spent many a summer night out there with my buddies...good times

16. firemangordy

firemangordy

I think the Pontiac dealer in Bellflower was Suburban Pontiac. Mike Salta Pontiac was on Long Beach Blvd. in downtown Long Beach. Wish I had a nickel for every gallon of gas I burned on Bellflower. Then we would head up to Whittier east of the 605 fwy and hang out around the Bully Beef. We'd always cruise by Stick City before heading home to check out what was on the lot.

17. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

Peter's Drive in on State Ave. in Kansas City, Kansas in the mid 70s

18. SLO POK

SLO POK

Stockton, Ca.
    Hanging out at the Lalani Lane Drive in, the Topper Drive in, Cruise Pacific Ave. The Miricle Mile In Stockton, Ca. To Eight Mile Rd. For a little drag racing and beer drinking late 50's early 60's. Run down to McHenry in modesto, Ca. Growing up in Central Ca. In the early 40's made the 50's early 60's a full time Party. Down Low Tahitian red '58 Impala 348 Tri power, '62 white Gran Prix eight lugs, '35
    Ford P.U. Full house F.H. L.Z. Tranny, '41 Hupmobile Skylark Full house F.H. L.Z. Tranny. ++.

19. customcory

customcory

I use to hit Franklin Blvd. in Gastonia in my youth, maybe 78-79. Wasn't much crusing then.

20. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

West Colfax, Denver.....Mid 1980's

21. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

for me in the late 70's early 80's was penn ave from the pizza hut down to main st in independence ks. when race time came in the night it was off to golf course road and out came the beer and whisky, how'd we live through all that shit i dont know, gawd it was fun times, now i feel old

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

El cajon blvd and Main street in el cajon, San diego. El cajon blvd is fun cause there is lots of bars to drink at and hookers to laugh at.

23. Tex-T

Tex-T

In Denver in the late 60's, early 70's we cruized 16th street (last time I was there it was a sidewalk). Then we would cruize down Federal Blvd. to the Scotschman drive in to hang out. There was Roadrunners, Cudas, GTO's, 442's all over the place. We would cruize down Colfax Ave. to check out the cars on all the car lots, they were full of muscle cars. Great fun!
    Tex-T

24. choppershox

choppershox

Oxnard Blvd Oxnard, CA, and Main street in Ventura , CA..

25. t-rod

t-rod

State Street in Salt Lake in '87-'88. I had a '67 El Camino then. I won plenty of stoplight races with that car, lost plenty too. Crusin' State became illegal several years ago due to "gang activity".

26. dmoldtimer

dmoldtimer

grew up in arlington, tx. cruised cooper st till they closed it down. then started going to Fenders on north hwy till it closed sure miss those days.

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Cruised E14th in San Leandro in my flathead powered 47 twodoor with the hood off, form Prings on 150th ave. then turn around again at the Coke bottling plant where 14th turned into Mission almost to Hayward. Starting about '60 to maybe 64 when I got married. Two drive in movies were right there, the Stadium and the Oakland, gone now. replaced by the Bay Fair mall. Before the movies in the '40 early '50s the Oakland Speedway was there. Maybe the same time. When the movies let out "it would take maybe two hours to make a circuit"

Sorry about the quality of the picture. Taken from 8mm film. Me on the left at about 16 years old my brother Bill on right at about 20. Notice no writing of T shirts.

Attached Files:

28. In the Essex area of Baltimore county, Maryland there was the "Thunderbird Drive-in", home of the Thunder-burger, you could cruise through and if you were early or lucky you could get a spot. You left there and maybe cruised to Highlandtown for a stop at "The Circle", a round building that served the best barb-B-Que. Friday nights were a trip to York Pa. for the drags at the famous U.S. 30 Drag-a-way. That was a time when people painted big names on their quarter panels, orange or white undercarriages were popular, and only a few had money enough to have good paint or a full set of wheels. I was buying with every paycheck an nos part for my 67 Nova SS, life was good and 4-speeds are still cool:D!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Phatwagons

Phatwagons
    from Georgia

Central Avenue, about 1974-1976 or 77. Remember when the Loper's F/C was delivered onto Central, fired up, made a quick pass and off to a side street before the cops showed up? WoooHooo!

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

A1A Newport ave, (now sing it like vanilla Ice lol) WE spent lots of time on Newport ave here in Pawkucket, sometimes we would go to Plymouth Ave in Fall Riv. late 80's early 90's sorry no pics

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010