Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. "The Loop" in Sioux City, Iowa in the 70's.

5th Street east, left on Nebraska, left on 13th, left on Pierce, left on 5th. Nebraska and Pierce were 3 lane 1-ways, and you'd have cars 3 wide. A bunch of parking lots along the route, and on a good summer night there'd be 200 or so cars. Usually patrolled by 3 or 4 cop cars. Serious race challenges would pair off and go to Industrial road by the Airport. There was a secondary cruise area along Morningside Boulevard, usually 40 or 50 cars cruising there. The older guys always talked about "how much bigger it was in the 60s."

2. jmthehermit

jmthehermit
    from Bath, Pa.

Mid 60's it was cruising Linden and Hamilton in Allentown, Pa on Friday and Saturday nights. The occasional late night drag race on Rt 309 going south from the Lehigh Street ramp. In the Spring and Summer months we either cruised or found a spot to watch traffic in the Lehigh Parkway with a cooler of beer. A lot of really good memories. Cops let a lot of things slide if you behaved yourself.

3. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

The BRIDGE STREET RUN and a hang out at midtown plaza. There is an upper parking lot that is about 12 feet above street level where you can watch people stage and race across the bridge

4. seanrace

seanrace

Wabash Avenue in Terre Haute, IN . . . in the late 80's with my 1978 Mustang

5. draginsteel

draginsteel

Broadway in Merrillville, Indiana

6. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Thats pretty cool!! The old PITA drag strip is still there and running!! Its just under another name and owner, and only 1/8th mile.
    Lucky Drag City owned by Lucky Foley

Of course 1966 was a few years before me! I was hanging out down at the dock in the late 80's early 90's. Still plenty of fun, but nothing like the stories of your era!! Where did you go to school and what year did you finish? Most of the guys I associate with were cruisin when you were. The saying is true old guys are the cool guys!!

7. jroberts

jroberts

Fayetteville, NC '60's and early '70's Bragg Blvd in and out of Hillcrest Drive-in. Raeford road between the Hardee's and the Torch Drive-in. Over the years used different rides. A '60 Falcon, an Elva Courier, Austin-Healey Sprite, and my dad's '66 Charger.

Mitch hall likes this.
  8. foghorn62

foghorn62

I almost forgot, and I'm pretty surprised that none of the Motown folks have mentioned Hines Drive in the 70s yet? Inkster Road out to "the hill" in Northville.

9. shoveled71

shoveled71

Late 60s, early 70s,Grants N Mex, would cruise down 1st St. to Santa Fe Ave., RT 66, go to Lotta Burger to hang out, someone almost always instigated a race and the Lotta Burger parking lot would empty out and go to Lobo Canyon Rd. and race till the cops showed up. Spike

10. chop32

chop32

Springs Rd. in Vallejo,
    Jefferson St. in Napa,
    North Main St. in Walnut Creek until they shut it down for good!

11. chopped31

chopped31
    from CO.

In the late 70's cruised "E" Street in San Berdo and Market St. in Riverside, Ca. Wow it doesn't seem that long ago!!

12. I was there late 60's early 70's. Nice new 68 Dodge Swinger 340 4 Sp. Bright red, white stinger. Remember the big blonde in the orange Judge?

13. growing up in north eastern mass there was a road named bradford rd that had the nic name satan road, due to some satanic rituals that were held there in the 80's it was twisty curvy and lots of fun. having mainly sports cars it was a great road. the only thing that sucked was a stop sign half way down it.

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

My wife is from Sioux city, and my inlaws were right off of morningside. I drove a 37 dodge 4 door with a severe chop out to Sioux city in the early 80s for a visit. And was forced :rolleyes: by my step daughters to cruise the loop with them. I had a great time.

15. El Cajon Blvd San Diego in the early 60's. Oscars Drive in was hot. 36 Ford 1/2 Ton with 48 Merc, 39 gearbox and rearend. Red Oxide primer. Them were the days.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  16. historynw

historynw

Mostly it was Broadway in Newburgh NY.

17. Satyr

Satyr

Halls Ferry road in North St. Louis county, MO. from White Castle to Mc Donalds, it was about a five mile ride with a nice straight mile run out in the middle of nothing to do a little street race, then back to white castle, oh the stories, the races, the girls, the cars...

18. Satyr

Satyr

Damn....Hall street.... my brothers would let me go with them sometimes when i was a little fart to watch the races on Hall street, there were some unreal races there...Wow that took me way, way back..

19. i grew up in cadillac on wheeler street i all ways thought that was cool the cruising wasnt really much in our town. we went from one shopping center on the south side to the other shopping center on the north. no body really had any cool cars that was worth looking at except for few of us we where usually to busy going to someones house and drinking trying to keep a low profile sense the local police had all of our numbers we didnt usually have to do anything wrong to get in trouble but for some reason we always was up to something stupid and getting caughtim sure glad i out grew that mess if i had all the money bailling myself out of jail and paying fines i would a have a lot of crap to say is mine now

20. Dave B.

Dave B.

I cruised the Ashland, KY/Huntington, WV area in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s, always in Novas (unless I was riding with a friend). The best drive was Winchester Ave. in Ashland. From the east side we’d hit the Bluegrass Drive-In, the zip through McDonalds and head west on Rt. 23 to the Outpost Drive-In. West again on 23 and a quick trip across the Ohio River into Ironton, OH and a cruise through Frische's Big Boy and Burger Chef. If you had gas money, you’d take US 52 East to Huntington, WV and hit the drive-ins on a lap up 5th Ave. and down 3rd. This area was highly industrialized back then and most of the younger guys had good jobs at one of the many plants, so both hotrods and muscle cars were plentiful.

Serious racing went down after 11:00 PM on either Rt. 3 east of Ashland or Co. Rd. 1 west of Ironton. Rt. 3 was mostly street-driven cars, but Co. Rd. 1 saw a lot of trailers on Saturday night, along with high-dollar bets.

21. wood470

wood470

ditto Whittier Blvd.

22. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ted/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I grew up in Baltimore and we would cruise from Champs to the Varsity and back again then to the Circle, always looking for a drag race and ducking the police. :eek:

23. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Queens Village, Bellrose, Green Acres Village, Ozone Park - long Island NY

24. TomWar

TomWar

in 56-about 62 Hayward to San Leandro E 14 st From Karls to Prings and 1/4 LB Burgers. This picture was from about 61.

Attached Files:

25. panheadpete

panheadpete

Brooksville Fla, started at Louies bowling alley at one end of down then cruized down to the A and Dub at the other.

26. High Point Rd. between the Putt-Putt and Roy Rogers in Greensboro, NC back in the late 70' to early 80's.

And when visiting my grandparents...Downtown West Jefferson, NC, from Hardee's to the Chevy dealership...one end of town to the other!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  27. Rayzr

Rayzr

Anybody cruise in small towns of North Carolina?...Concord?...Kannapolis?...China Grove?...Albemarle?...Salisbury? 1966,'67,'68,'69,&'70. That's where I was.

28. super-six

super-six

Frischs in Trotwood, Ohio
    Frischs on Keowee St. in Dayton
    Parkmoor on N. Main St. in Dayton
    Country Kitchen on Wilmington Ave. in Kettering

29. storm king

storm king

Main Street in Cornwall, N.Y., and Broadway in Newburgh, N.Y. I never was in it for the show, though. I could usually be found out on empty country roads haulin' A.

30. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Cottage and Main Streets, with turn-arounds at Ray Moore's Esso Station, the
    ball field and town pier..............Bar Harbor, Maine
    Late 50's - early 60's.