Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Woodward, Bloomfield down to Detriot.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bud, I'm sorry to say after I joined the Army in 67 and then started college after that I haven't been back much. My sister graduated WTHS in 69 and I got out of there in May 66. Some of my friends were just getting into street rods then, but most were into muscle cars in one form or another. I was the wierd one with a sports car for awhile. One west coast surfer mag named Waukegan the surfing center of the midwest one year, too. I played in a garage band the last few years in high school and I can remember the summers back then having dances 4-5 nights a week. PM me, I'm just up the road in Brandon. Gary

3. Donnda

Donnda

Garden Grove Blvd and Harbour Blvd in Orange County California

Donn

4. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

2nd Street in El Cajon, CA
    Highland Ave in National City, CA
    Chicano Park in San Diego, CA
    Two laps of the idiot circle in Williams, Arizona!

5. 73super

73super

Yes, we cruised Riverside on occasion, but I mostly stuck around Coeur d'Alene... that place was usually jumpin' and you get to know the regulars down there, both guys and gals. There used to be a certain gal in a powder blue VW Bug that we used to always look for... what a cutie. What a blast... feel bad for kids growing up now that won't have that. My son is 14 and loves hearing the stories (those that I'm willing to tell) and know that around here cruising is non-exsistent. I'll be fixing him up a '50 shoebox for a high school car, and at least he'll have the ride...

6. late 70's
    Frazier Street Conroe, texas
    1970 black Charger

7. Air Depot in Midwest City Oklahoma, DOT said it was the 2nd most cruised night spot next to Van Nuys Blvd in the early 80's. Took a hour and 1/2 to make one pass!

8. Well I just looked threw all 338 post and can't believe know one from the Dallas area has mentioned Forrest Ln. from late 70's and early 80". We cruised that place every weekend, my brother and I would wait for the folks to go to bed then we'd roll our cars down the ally so as to not wake the parents up, cruise all night and sneak back in before dawn. Man, those were the days for us.

9. Mainly Broadway in Edmond, Oklahoma, but also 12th Street in Moore in the late 80's. It wasn't very many years later, that they pretty much put a stop to it in Edmond...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Choptop

Choptop

Cruised Main Street in Placerville, CA in my 65 Mustang and ChopPop's 1959 Ford truck with a 390 Caddy in it. Hanging out at the Bell Tower and watching cars go by was GREAT fun. We'd catch a movie at the Empire Theater in town in the winter, and throw bean-bag chairs in the truck and head to the drive-in during summer. There was the Placerville Soda Works in the middle of town and we'd stop there for something to drink. Yes, its cliche, an old fashion soda fountain and cruising... but we had a ball doing it.

[​IMG]

11. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

In the '60s and 70s Goshen was the place to cruise. Up Main, out Pike to Bowers drive in. Turn around and do it again. We were once featured in Car Craft mag as one of the best cruising places in the country. It got awfully crowded (and rowdy) so the cops shut it down. N.N.

12. foghorn62

foghorn62

Yup, Bentley class of 74. By 78 I was living in Ypsilanty, cruising Ford Road, Michigan Ave out past Canton, and Washtenaw around EMU in a 76 Vette. Turned a wrench at Massey Cadillac in Plymouth until 82, then followed the wave to Houston, found a good gig and stayed.

13. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

On the East side of Minneapolis we'd cruise from East Gate White Castle to the Sun Drive Inn up Central Ave NE. The Sun had good food and nice car hops. Lots of fast GTO's too. Holiday Olds would bring out their "demonstrator" '65 442 with automatic trans and power windows and clean house. Black with silver top. Lettered up. Today no dealer would risk the liability. It did sell a lot of 442's.
    Swanberg and Scheffe Buick had a '65 Skylark GS with 2X4's and an automatic. All white lettered up.
    On the West side, Lake Street was the go route. West Porky's by Lake Calhoun to the Flat Top Drive In just about at the Mississippi River. When that was torn down Hy-Lake was about the East end.
    Across the river in St Paul, University Ave was striped for three lanes and you had three cars going at the lights. Porky's on University was the place if you could get a spot. Otherwise there was Montgomery Wards lot. Eventually the cops would chase us out for after hours trespassing.
    Lots of fun memories. Scary ones too. I can remember my knees shaking after some of the races.
    Minnesota Dragway was way safer!

14. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

2nd street in El Cajon, California

15. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

had a 69 big block stang 428 12.5 2 4bbl 433 gears cruised thru Oshawa .ONT Canada.....king street back around bond st and up simcoe st ..lots of races almost every nite down off wentworth what a blast was from Toronto now live in Oshawa lmao pretty close to the same thing here now..Oshawa is Motor city and always will be

16. 73super

73super

Cool pic... looks like my old home town in Idaho. (Kendrick - population 300!.. salute!)

17. jguff

jguff

In the late 50s and early 60s we cruised Fremont St. and Charleston Blvd. in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was still a fairly small city back then and most of the criusers knew each other. We would leave the TipTop drive in at 5th and Charleston, go down Charleston to the Blue Onion drive in, criuse through and come out at Fremont street. Then up Fremont to Downtown Vegas turn around at the railroad depot and go back down Fremont to the Blue Onion and back up Charleston. Basically a big "V" shaped route about 4 or 5 miles long. Once in a while we woud go down the strip but most of the action was on Fremont and Charleston.:)

Jerome

18. "The older I get the faster I was" just did the math, If you kept it a 30 mph and never hit a stop light it would only take 10 hours. that must have been a long night lol:D

19. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

State Street in Erie Pa. Everybody called it "buggin state" or cruisin the dock.
    If you found someone to run one off with, you headed to 12th street.

20. Plumber 1

Plumber 1

State Street in Erie for me also. Small world vintagedrags!! Still have my trophy from PITA. Won in 1966.
    Jim

21. wild willey

wild willey

1980 thru 1990 (Before the DPD Closed it down!) Davenport, Ia. 4th and 3rd streets THE ONEWAYS.....ALOT of BAD ASS rides. Me not so much!! But was LUCKY to cruise with my buddy in his wicked Lil' 55 chevy!! I still take the time to run the circut.Looking forward to "DISTURBING the peace this year in my 56 Chevy 210 Pro Street!! Lot a GREAT memories wish that cruisin' hadn't got the BAD RAP and was shut down by OLD PEOPLE in the city council!! People that forgot their roots!!

22. 60's 70's 4th st San Rafael CA
    4th st Santa Rosa & couple trips in San Leandro
    Cruze sean American Grefeati
    Had a 56 Chevy Nomad Blue Silver Flake 327 4sp 57 olds rearend 4:11s Tork Thrust
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this Harly Davidson
    [​IMG]
    also drove the T Truck in the 70"s still have the truck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  23. 30panel

30panel

I made the same rounds in the mid 60's, that was fun times.

24. CLearwater Beach - 1979-1983... We were in my '66 beige Starfire, or an aqua '67 Riviera, or a blue '67 Mustang coupe or a '68 Mustang GT... maybe even all 4, depends on who had gas money... up to and just past the time they passed the no cruising ordinance.

25. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Same place as my Father did - Berlin Turnpike Newington, CT (and later Bristol Plaza RT 6 Bristol, CT). Sometimes Dad would come with me :)

Al in TN

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Lindbergh Blvd in South County, St. Louis. Even made Car Craft magazine's top 10 list one year.
    Was great fun 'til the Brown Clowns (cops) came and ran us out with silly laws and attitudes.

27. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

The sommer i was 20 we crused with a vw type 3 that we have made to convetible.
    We crused in Varberg and in Falkenberg and drived on the road nearst the beatch in Falkenberg

28. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Port Huron, MI. Pine Grove Ave., From Burger Chef on the north end to Powers Hamburger on the south. Bumper to bumper from one end to the other. Cops used to drive on the sidewalks to get around town. Been that way for at least 40 years (50s thru the 90s)

29. canadianzed

canadianzed

The Turkey Point Beach strip (Lake Erie Cdn. side) was a popular summer cruise run - back and forth all day long on Sunday afternoons

30. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Main Street, Denison Texas, Early 90's. We would park 4 or 5 trucks side by side sit on the tailgates and split a six pack of cheap beer 12 ways. Good times.