Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What spark plug to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WB69, May 2, 2019.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Did a search already but still need some opinions on what is the best spark plug to use in a 59AB? Have used Autolites mostly before. Just put in a new set and motor missed on higher rpms when it hadn't before. Found 2 new plugs that were not firing good. Replaced with 2 that I had taken out and problem solved. So thinking changing brands. What does anyone suggest? Stock motor.

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Mmm...spark plug "brand" isn't gonna fix a miss..!

1. Bad plug wires.
    2. Carbon tracking in the distributor cap.
    3. OLD cap and rotor.
    4. Broken spark plug insulation.
    5. And last if not least...close down the plug gap..! Take .005" out, if it still misses, go to about .025" gap and then start your way back open till it misses again. Then back down .005"

Mike

3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Everything you just mentioned are new. New plug was bad. Did the gap thing. Took new plug out and put old one in. No problem after. Just wanting to know if anyone had opinions on which brand they run.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

NGK make a pretty good plug and wide heat range. They are not expensive, it's worth trying different brands.

Cosmo50 likes this.

5. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I am using the NGK on my flatty. I have heard that the Champion are no good, but I have never really used them. So I can't speak from experience. The NGKs are decently priced. I forgot what the part number for them is.

6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Ok, thanks guys. Have used the NGKs in race motors with good results. Gonna give them a try.

OzMerc39 likes this.